BIS guarantee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My office mate just told me that Covidien used to have a BIS guarantee - meaning that if you could prove that if the patient had a recall event while the BIS was lower than 60 - they would cover the pay out.

I don't know if we had talked about that before.

Anyway, does Medtronic have the same guarantee?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

“Results: The BIS decreased after the onset of neuromuscular block in both monitors, to values as low as 44 and 47, and did not return to pre-test levels until after the return of movement. The BIS showed a two-stage decrease, with an immediate reduction to values around 80, and then several minutes later, a sharp decrease to lower values. In some subjects, there were periods where the BIS was <60 for several minutes. The response was similar for both suxamethonium and rocuronium. Neither monitor was consistently superior in reporting the true state of awareness.”

Reactions: 2 users
This is a shady company with shady history. Just like the Exparel people tried to portray their product as being the magical solution for regional anesthesia, these crooks tried to push their BIS as being the holy grail of avoiding awareness and they forced it down the throats of anesthesiologists until some one published a study in JAMA debunking their false claims.
They were at some point very successful selling their mysterious algorithm to administrators and credentialing mafias that they were almost about to make BIS another vital sign we have to monitor. Snake oil salesmen always had an audience among the ignorant and the misguided in the good old US of A.

Reactions: 3 users
My office mate just told me that Covidien used to have a BIS guarantee - meaning that if you could prove that if the patient had a recall event while the BIS was lower than 60 - they would cover the pay out.

sounds completely bogus.

“Results: The BIS decreased after the onset of neuromuscular block in both monitors, to values as low as 44 and 47, and did not return to pre-test levels until after the return of movement. The BIS showed a two-stage decrease, with an immediate reduction to values around 80, and then several minutes later, a sharp decrease to lower values. In some subjects, there were periods where the BIS was <60 for several minutes. The response was similar for both suxamethonium and rocuronium. Neither monitor was consistently superior in reporting the true state of awareness.”
Did a carotid the other day and the surgeons here use EEG routinely. I pull pts deep for these, so near the end of the case I have the sevo at 2.2, haven't given any other sedatives or narcotics recently, and I give nothing else but 200 of sug and the EEG guy is like "I'm seeing a massive spike in activity!!!"

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

I wouldn’t if I were Medtronic.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users