Blindsided by NYU interview requirement. Is it me or....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Architect2PT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit perturbed. NYU contacted me 11/29 on my cell saying they wanted an interview on 12/10. Needless to say, I was happy that they were interested. But I was confused because I did not recall an interview as part of their process. Plus, I was out and about and not able to schedule one at that time. So, I asked if I could call her back that day or the next from home. She seemed pretty irritated that I didn't want to schedule an interview right then and there, but I didn't make much of it at the time.

It seems that most all schools are very clear if they require an interview in their description of the application process. I've since combed through their website and there is absolutely no mention of an interview. It simply says a decision will be made 6-8 weeks after the application deadline.

I called the woman back, and told her I was not aware of an interview and that it was not in any of their materials. She said it was not communicated and didn't need to be because not EVERYONE who applies is asked to interview. I got her to clarify that anyone who is offered admission must first be interviewed before they are offered admission. Her point was that not every single person who applies is asked to an interview. But of course, no school that requires interviews actually interviews every single applicant.

When I told her their description of the admissions process should include that an interview is required, she disagreed, and said I could tell the Admissions Committee if I so chose to come in for an interview. Of course this seemed odd to me, to have to potentially shell out $1,000 for airfare, hotels and expenses to tell them something that should seem obvious. I asked if there was any other way to communicate this and she suggested e-mailing the Chairman. I asked for the e-mail address and she said I could look it up. She told me she had the e-mail address but would not give it to me because I could find it myself. Even if it was easy to look up, that was rude. As it happens though, it is not easy to look up who their Department Chair is. I finally found it by reading their blurb about the history of the program.

I can understand a program requiring or not requiring an interview. But shouldn't that be clear BEFORE a person applies and BEFORE they've spent $100+ on PTCAS, GRE, AND Supplemental application fees? Coming in to interview from out of state is an unexpected substantial expense for me. Airfare and hotels in NYC are not cheap, especially at short notice.

Needless to say, I am less enthusiastic about the program. Especially seeing on their website that this same woman coordinates the DPT students' clinical education progam. However, I am mad that I wasted money applying to them while information about their admissions process was withheld. Plus, I'm sure this issue has been a costly inconvenience for other applicants.

Long winded post. I guess I'm just looking for for your guys' opinions if a school should be clear about this in their application process. There doesn't seem any reason for them to choose not to be clear, except maybe they will get more applications.

Members don't see this ad.

I completely agree. Programs should detail that they want an interview as part of the admissions requirements, or either for select applicants. This is one criteria I looked up to see where to apply. I applied to some schools that required interviews and some that didn't require them, mainly because of what you noted that the travel is costly. Are you sure you're not exagerating? I can't believe NYU treated you like that, especially with a popular/prestigiuous school, I would think they should post that in their admissions information.

Last edited:
Wow... I agree. I do not think it's fair to ask for an interview when they do not give that information as part of the application process. Especially for those that will come from out of state... Traveling expenses to NYC are what they are, and it'd be nice to know that was something to consider before applying.

Geesh. I think it's pretty rude that she couldn't give you that person's email address. Ugh! Some people!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit perturbed. NYU contacted me 11/29 on my cell saying they wanted an interview on 12/10. Needless to say, I was happy that they were interested. But I was confused because I did not recall an interview as part of their process. Plus, I was out and about and not able to schedule one at that time. So, I asked if I could call her back that day or the next from home. She seemed pretty irritated that I didn't want to schedule an interview right then and there, but I didn't make much of it at the time.

It seems that most all schools are very clear if they require an interview in their description of the application process. I've since combed through their website and there is absolutely no mention of an interview. It simply says a decision will be made 6-8 weeks after the application deadline.

I called the woman back, and told her I was not aware of an interview and that it was not in any of their materials. She said it was not communicated and didn't need to be because not EVERYONE who applies is asked to interview. I got her to clarify that anyone who is offered admission must first be interviewed before they are offered admission. Her point was that not every single person who applies is asked to an interview. But of course, no school that requires interviews actually interviews every single applicant.

When I told her their description of the admissions process should include that an interview is required, she disagreed, and said I could tell the Admissions Committee if I so chose to come in for an interview. Of course this seemed odd to me, to have to potentially shell out $1,000 for airfare, hotels and expenses to tell them something that should seem obvious. I asked if there was any other way to communicate this and she suggested e-mailing the Chairman. I asked for the e-mail address and she said I could look it up. She told me she had the e-mail address but would not give it to me because I could find it myself. Even if it was easy to look up, that was rude. As it happens though, it is not easy to look up who their Department Chair is. I finally found it by reading their blurb about the history of the program.

I can understand a program requiring or not requiring an interview. But shouldn't that be clear BEFORE a person applies and BEFORE they've spent $100+ on PTCAS, GRE, AND Supplemental application fees? Coming in to interview from out of state is an unexpected substantial expense for me. Airfare and hotels in NYC are not cheap, especially at short notice.

Needless to say, I am less enthusiastic about the program. Especially seeing on their website that this same woman coordinates the DPT students' clinical education progam. However, I am mad that I wasted money applying to them while information about their admissions process was withheld. Plus, I'm sure this issue has been a costly inconvenience for other applicants.

Long winded post. I guess I'm just looking for for your guys' opinions if a school should be clear about this in their application process. There doesn't seem any reason for them to choose not to be clear, except maybe they will get more applications.

I am stunned that this set of events has occurred to you. Ironically NYU was a school on my list but I have since decided to withdraw my application. I, too, never recalled any mention of an interview for their DPT program. The fact that this person got "irritated" or agitated or whatever is disconcerting. The process for applying to multiple programs is already relatively expensive. Conjoined with trips costs, it can be down right ridiculous. I have already had to fly to two interviews and have two more potential scheduled. I am a "broke graduate student" so I have to be very judicious about my school selection because I can't jet-set around the world, when I will only be choosing ONE program. It's unfortunate that this happened. Whatever happens, I am confident that with your stats you will get your pick of the litter. Best wishes to you!

I'm surprised she didn't toss your application in the trash after complaining about having to travel to the school you're trying to get into. Aside from that, did you ask about a telephone interview? I know some schools allow the applicant to interview over the phone (conference call with a couple professors).

I see it like this:
If you were set on attending NYU wouldn't you assume that you'd probably need to interview just like essentially every other PT school? Isn't everyone aware that getting into PT school is competitive and hundreds of other applicants are finding there way to NY to interview?

I see it like this:
If you were set on attending NYU wouldn't you assume that you'd probably need to interview just like essentially every other PT school? Isn't everyone aware that getting into PT school is competitive and hundreds of other applicants are finding there way to NY to interview?

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. But disagree, I would only assume an interview is needed if it clearly states that it is a requirement for admissions. I applied to a few schools that didn't require an interview and I didn't assume they needed one:).

Whether it is stated or not regarding the interview, when they called to ask you to schedule an interview, you should have just scheduled an interview if you really wanted to attend the school. At that point, it doesn't matter what your thoughts are on the matter.

Launching a "protest" over the issue will likely get you nowhere. I doubt that NYU is going to change their policy for you. Based on your post, I am assuming that your tone conveyed your irritation and this is likely why the secretary refused to extend a helping hand to you regarding the email address.

I assume you had a great deal of interest in attending NYU, otherwise I would think you would tell them "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you required an interview since it is not stated on your application material. I appreciate the invitation, but I am unable to accept. Have a great day."

well said johncronejr-

I do think a school should say whether or not they require an interview. But to be honest, I'm also surprised she didn't throw your application in the trash. I think how she treated you was wrong, and props to you for speaking up, but sadly this whole thing is a business and you don't want to upset anyone at the school, even if it means keeping helpful, well intentioned, opinions to yourself - at least until after you get accepted haha

I'm surprised she didn't toss your application in the trash after complaining about having to travel to the school you're trying to get into. Aside from that, did you ask about a telephone interview? I know some schools allow the applicant to interview over the phone (conference call with a couple professors).

I see it like this:

Well, I was not 'set' on NYU. I applied to multiple schools based on the information they provided and the limited money and time that I have. I'm sure it varies by region, but most schools do NOT require interviews.

I was budgeting to attend interviews at the schools that required them, if I was invited. And then of the other schools, visiting the ones that I was accepted into if the decision for me wasn't yet clear.

This was just an unexpected expense. It's a very simple thing to say whether or not you require an interview and most schools clearly say if they do or not. If they do require them, they typically say when the the interviews will take place. It would have been helpful for me in budgeting expenses and planning multiple trips for interviews.

Well, I was not 'set' on NYU. I applied to multiple schools based on the information they provided and the limited money and time that I have. I'm sure it varies by region, but most schools do NOT require interviews.

I was budgeting to attend interviews at the schools that required them, if I was invited. And then of the other schools, visiting the ones that I was accepted into if the decision for me wasn't yet clear.

This was just an unexpected expense. It's a very simple thing to say whether or not you require an interview and most schools clearly say if they do or not. If they do require them, they typically say when the the interviews will take place. It would have been helpful for me in budgeting expenses and planning multiple trips for interviews.

I think you acted correctly, given the situation.

It's absolutely asinine for them to assume multiple things: that you have the extra funding to travel, lodge, and interview there, you have the ability to set up an interview on the spot for a place you hadn't allotted time for, and that NYU is such a good school that she can treat applicants like that. Most people don't just budget extra thousands for interviews they hadn't planned or expected.

I understand life can sometimes be a game of butt-kissing and sucking up, but once you stop standing up for what is right (in this case that is NYU supplying the correct information and the lady not being a bit** about it), then you might as well not even hold your head up high in public.

Just my 2 cents. This sort of stuff gets me all worked up.

Whether it is stated or not regarding the interview, when they called to ask you to schedule an interview, you should have just scheduled an interview if you really wanted to attend the school. At that point, it doesn't matter what your thoughts are on the matter.

Launching a "protest" over the issue will likely get you nowhere. I doubt that NYU is going to change their policy for you. Based on your post, I am assuming that your tone conveyed your irritation and this is likely why the secretary refused to extend a helping hand to you regarding the email address.

I assume you had a great deal of interest in attending NYU, otherwise I would think you would tell them "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you required an interview since it is not stated on your application material. I appreciate the invitation, but I am unable to accept. Have a great day."

I think you acted correctly, given the situation.

It's absolutely asinine for them to assume multiple things: that you have the extra funding to travel, lodge, and interview there, you have the ability to set up an interview on the spot for a place you hadn't allotted time for, and that NYU is such a good school that she can treat applicants like that. Most people don't just budget extra thousands for interviews they hadn't planned or expected.

I understand life can sometimes be a game of butt-kissing and sucking up, but once you stop standing up for what is right (in this case that is NYU supplying the correct information and the lady not being a bit** about it), then you might as well not even hold your head up high in public.

Just my 2 cents. This sort of stuff gets me all worked up.

Is it possible for me to agree with both of these people even though their views are different? Haha. Because I totally do.

I'll be at the interview on the 10th. I went to the open house they had in Oct and they said they interview everyone. I can see your frustration but personally I believe that if a school doesn't interview then there is no diversity in the program.

I actually knew that NYU conducted interviews. However, I only knew that b/c it was stated during a webcast I attended a while back. I have also scoured their site and concur that there's no mention of interviews.

Architect2PT and waterrboyy33 - Would you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, I think that it is very rude that they did not mention the interview. A flight to NYC from different parts of the US could cost about $500 and a night at a hotel in NYC is well over a hundred dollars. Some people don't have that type of cash lying around on such short notice. Not to mention possibly having to take off from work. Doesn't NYU charge an outrageous price for tuition, too? A school that didn't understand that your finances are important to you, doesn't deserve to be considered as a school for you to attend. Imagine what they'll think you should pay for once you get in. They should have offered you a telephone interview, or atleast gotten you the information you requested so you could email someone about the interview requirement.

Well I don't know exactly how everything went down, but I will say that the personality represented by the school could have a large influence over if I'd want to spend a whole bunch of money and as well as three years of my life there. That being said, I think requirements regarding interviews should be explicitly stated due to reasons stated. People have jobs, a budget, etc. Like you said, if you would have known about an interview you would have saved yourself $100 or so dollars. That could have gone towards a plane ticket or lodging for another interview.

Due to uncertainty myself on this issue, I e-mailed the schools directly. I have it in writing which ones required them and when they have them. This way I can plan for them. If one of the schools called up requesting an interview that stated they didn't previously via e-mail, I'd try to work around it or request a phone interview. If that didn't work, I'd just inform them I wouldn't be able to make it due to whatever reason it'd be. I would be a little upset though about money getting flushed down the toilet that was no way my doing. I completely understand your sentiment there.

It's in the video on their website, "if you are one of the finalists in the admissions process, you will be granted an interview" (not verbatim). The presentation is by Dr. Moffat on the first page of the DPT program website.

I got a call while driving home, I told her I needed time to consider and she said ok but time is of the essence. I called the next day to confirm and she gave me the address and advised me on the structure of the interview.

If you are nice to people, they are usually nice to you in return.

It's in the video on their website, "if you are one of the finalists in the admissions process, you will be granted an interview" (not verbatim). The presentation is by Dr. Moffat on the first page of the DPT program website.

I got a call while driving home, I told her I needed time to consider and she said ok but time is of the essence. I called the next day to confirm and she gave me the address and advised me on the structure of the interview.

If you are nice to people, they are usually nice to you in return.

Well put.

I had a similar experience. Wasn't aware NYU held interviews. Received a call 1 week prior to interview. Woman I spoke with was understanding enough to give me time to figure things out (I live in LA). After consideration I was happy to travel as the prog was a top pick for me and there's only so much you can learn about a potential school from their website. After all, it's going to be the next 3 yrs of my life.

I do understand the financial strains last min flights can incur, but in the grand scheme of things - think of how much $ you'll be investing in your eventual institution.

Waterboy - you said NYU invites every applicant for an interview...is that true? could it be? they must receive about 300 apps, no?

Anyway, interview went smooth, NYC was amazing place to visit. PT has it's own building which is nice, pretty small though. Staff/students were very friendly. Anyone else have thoughts on interview exp w them?

gpa: 3.10
prereq gpa: 3.45
v: 570 q: 760 a: 4.0
obv hrs: 250+
interviews: nyu
invites: nyu, ucsf, smu, mgh
rejections: none:)
accepted: none:(

Well put.

I had a similar experience. Wasn't aware NYU held interviews. Received a call 1 week prior to interview. Woman I spoke with was understanding enough to give me time to figure things out (I live in LA). After consideration I was happy to travel as the prog was a top pick for me and there's only so much you can learn about a potential school from their website. After all, it's going to be the next 3 yrs of my life.

I do understand the financial strains last min flights can incur, but in the grand scheme of things - think of how much $ you'll be investing in your eventual institution.

Waterboy - you said NYU invites every applicant for an interview...is that true? could it be? they must receive about 300 apps, no?

Anyway, interview went smooth, NYC was amazing place to visit. PT has it's own building which is nice, pretty small though. Staff/students were very friendly. Anyone else have thoughts on interview exp w them?

gpa: 3.10
prereq gpa: 3.45
v: 570 q: 760 a: 4.0
obv hrs: 250+
interviews: nyu
invites: nyu, ucsf, smu, mgh
rejections: none:)
accepted: none:(

I never said NYU offers everyone an interview? Haha re-read what I wrote. I thought my interview went very well, I was even given a water bottle haha. Actually, correction haha. What I meant was that they interview "everyone" as in they don't just "accept you". Does that make more sense?

Also; everyone at NYU was beyond warm and inviting, I had an amazing time meeting the students, faculty, touring the area, and interviewing. My fingers are crossed that I get accepted.

I'll be at the interview on the 10th. I went to the open house they had in Oct and they said they interview everyone. I can see your frustration but personally I believe that if a school doesn't interview then there is no diversity in the program.

Hah am I misreading this??

They said they interview everyone.

ohhh ok i see what u mean. Do you know when they send out decisions? I forgot to ask that while I was there.

ohhh ok i see what u mean. Do you know when they send out decisions? I forgot to ask that while I was there.

I am NYU's biggest fan and could tell you EVERYTHING about the program ha. I was told that they send out acceptance letters anywhere from a week after you interview up until March. Kind of long, huh? haha. Is NYU your top choice? It's mine!

It's up there along with MGH and UCSF. Following my interviews at both I'll have a better idea of what I want. I live in LA now and have family in CT so I'd like to have the option to be closer to them, still unsure whether I'm excited about living in NYC or scared, or both. I'm very excited about UCSF and feel that there's alot to learn about MGH. Their website isn't as transparent as most schools, plus it's a not a university? but a health profession institute via the hospital, so I'm curious what that looks like.