Blk PA2MD applying nxt circle Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLKPA2MD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Initial post at Underrepresented in Healthcare, decided to post question here due to slow response. Moderator, this wouldn't happen again.

stat:
1.Community College GPA 3.0 (A.S & Medical Assistant Degree)
-note: few "W", lowest GPA was 2.9. I enrolled for 3yrs as f/t student & worked f/t as well through out college. I have to work to support self/family back home.

2. Physician Assistant Program grad GPA 3.9 (cGPA 3.5)
-4yrs college program

3. Master Degree GPA 3.8

Job exp as a PA (Emergency Medicine, Orthopedic surgery, Urgent care, Family medicine & currently Internal Medicine)

MCAT will register for the 1/29/11 date.

Age/Brief hx: 34-y.o m, an immigrant from W. Africa came to the U.S over 11yrs ago all alone w/no family support. I've work very hard to get where I am today. However, after 2.5yrs practicing as a PA still not satisfy. I need the autonomy & more personal satisfaction which I don't get as a PA.

Will appreciate your advice/comment most especially regarding my chances of getting accepted. I will be considering the "ROAD" specialty, EM as a backup plan. I've not completely rule out MD/PhD tract.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Initial post at Underrepresented in Healthcare, decided to post question here due to slow response. Moderator, this wouldn't happen again.

stat:
-note: few "W", lowest GPA was 2.9. I enrolled for 3yrs as f/t student & worked f/t as well through out college. I have to work to support self/family back home.

-4yrs college program

3. Master Degree GPA 3.8

Job exp as a PA (Emergency Medicine, Orthopedic surgery, Urgent care, Family medicine & currently Internal Medicine)

Age/Brief hx: 34-y.o m, an immigrant from W. Africa came to the U.S over 11yrs ago all alone w/no family support. I've work very hard to get where I am today. However, after 2.5yrs practicing as a PA still not satisfy. I need the autonomy & more personal satisfaction which I don't get as a PA.

Will appreciate your advice/comment most especially regarding my chances of getting accepted. I will be considering the "ROAD" specialty, EM as a backup plan. I've not completely rule out MD/PhD tract.

Thanks in advance.

Careful with this statement. Admissions committee folks want to see an overriding interest in the human condition, as opposed to an interest in the "lifestyle" specialties. Nothing wrong with thinking you'll do one of those specialties though, I'm just saying be careful who you say that to.

You have a disadvantaged background, are considered an underrepresented minority, and have great real life bedside experience. Just do decent on the MCAT, and they'll love you.

First, what is your overall GPA?

Do you have any vollunteering/shadowing? I know you have plenty of experience but you need some ECs....

Your background will help you get MD...but MD/PhD I dont think is a realistic option with what your overall GPA sounds like.

Also, I agree that you should not run off at the mouth about how you want the ROAD....I would tell them I have interest in them as well as others like FM, IM...and I am still keeping my options open. I told my interviewers I like EM and Anes the most going in but I realize that may change after I get into my clinicals....

Members don't see this ad :)
Careful with this statement. Admissions committee folks want to see an overriding interest in the human condition, as opposed to an interest in the "lifestyle" specialties. Nothing wrong with thinking you'll do one of those specialties though, I'm just saying be careful who you say that to.

You have a disadvantaged background, are considered an underrepresented minority, and have great real life bedside experience. Just do decent on the MCAT, and they'll love you.

Canjosh; Your advised is noted. Thank you.

volunteering? probably needed. Shadowing? Guy is a PA, works alongside MD. has worked in ER, IM, Ortho and what not. I don't think he needs any more shadowing experience. He already knows what it's like.

Do you have any vollunteering/shadowing? I know you have plenty of experience but you need some ECs....

Your background will help you get MD...but MD/PhD I dont think is a realistic option with what your overall GPA sounds like.

Also, I agree that you should not run off at the mouth about how you want the ROAD....I would tell them I have interest in them as well as others like FM, IM...and I am still keeping my options open. I told my interviewers I like EM and Anes the most going in but I realize that may change after I get into my clinicals....

...overall GPA @ 3.56. Again, haven't r/o MD/PhD. At this point in time, I'll invest >100% of my time for the MCAT & doing well. Upon acceptance; if I decided to pursue MD/PhD then would take it from there. I don't need ECs, I've enough. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Last edited:
volunteering? probably needed. Shadowing? Guy is a PA, works alongside MD. has worked in ER, IM, Ortho and what not. I don't think he needs any more shadowing experience. He already knows what it's like.
mzblue; first all, thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. I do not need volunteer experience as I did hosp volunteer x 3+yrs prior to PA training & also volunteer as a Medical Assistant @ a friend family medicine clinic on-and-off during PA sch.

stat:

-4yrs college program

3. Master Degree GPA 3.8

Thanks in advance.

First of all, Congrats on what you have achieved!

You have a good academic record as well as some wonderful experiences. If you do good on the MCAT you will probably get a spot into a med school.

Now that I have said that let me add, I consider myself to be African as well. I've lived in Southern Africa my whole life (18 yrs) and moved to the US a few years ago. I will be taking the MCATs on the same day as you, and I too hope to get into med school. I congratulated you first because it makes me proud to see that we (Africans) can do just as well if we really want to and if we try. You may be a role model for many that read this thread, thank you!...

Best of luck! and keep up the good work!
PS: If you can, try and get some volunteering/research done. It might help you get into a better school. :)

I don't know about you but I like cold, hard statistics.
From Table 24: MCAT and GPA Grid for Applicants and Acceptees to U.S. Medical Schools, 2007-2009 (aggregated)

With the GPA of 3.56, if you score a
27-29 the acceptance rate is 38.6%
30-32 the acceptance rate is 56.9%
33-35 the acceptance rate is 68.3%

With that knowledge in hand, I would focus on a solid MCAT study regime which would include signing up for a program like Kaplan or Princeton Review, and solidly demonstrating scores in the 30's on practice exams at least 3-4 times before you take the real exam. This is the only remaining factor of your candidacy you can control.

As someone who has been out there working you need to demonstrate that you can handle the academic rigor of taking things like shelf exams and USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 (CK).

In terms of picking a specialty, why don't you focus on why you want to be a doctor, why you think you'll be good at it and what you need to learn. You have plenty of time to decide and this is also what the clinical years of med school are for. You are three years away from that at best. Focus on the step you're on which is what you can control.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and MD/PhD is even more competitive.

Do you want to be a physician scientist? They break off from the rest of the medical school class between years 2 and 3 to persue the PhD part of things. That really adds a lot of years to your training--if you are unsure that you want to do a lot of research as a medical student--why would you pick this more competitive track and risk not being accepted? Sounds to me that you need to do more investigation on what MD/PhD really is.

First of all, Congrats on what you have achieved!

You have a good academic record as well as some wonderful experiences. If you do good on the MCAT you will probably get a spot into a med school.

Now that I have said that let me add, I consider myself to be African as well. I've lived in Southern Africa my whole life (18 yrs) and moved to the US a few years ago. I will be taking the MCATs on the same day as you, and I too hope to get into med school. I congratulated you first because it makes me proud to see that we (Africans) can do just as well if we really want to and if we try. You may be a role model for many that read this thread, thank you!...

Best of luck! and keep up the good work!
PS: If you can, try and get some volunteering/research done. It might help you get into a better school. :)
Halfling,
Thanks for your kind word. The sky is the limit! Your advised is noted.

Oh, and MD/PhD is even more competitive.

Do you want to be a physician scientist? They break off from the rest of the medical school class between years 2 and 3 to persue the PhD part of things. That really adds a lot of years to your training--if you are unsure that you want to do a lot of research as a medical student--why would you pick this more competitive track and risk not being accepted? Sounds to me that you need to do more investigation on what MD/PhD really is.

...primary focus right now is MD. Not picking MD/PhD rather I'm considering. Make sense? No need to do further investigation on what MD/PhD really is. I completely understand its competitiveness & lengthiness of training.

I don't know about you but I like cold, hard statistics.
From Table 24: MCAT and GPA Grid for Applicants and Acceptees to U.S. Medical Schools, 2007-2009 (aggregated)

With the GPA of 3.56, if you score a
27-29 the acceptance rate is 38.6%
30-32 the acceptance rate is 56.9%
33-35 the acceptance rate is 68.3%

With that knowledge in hand, I would focus on a solid MCAT study regime which would include signing up for a program like Kaplan or Princeton Review, and solidly demonstrating scores in the 30's on practice exams at least 3-4 times before you take the real exam. This is the only remaining factor of your candidacy you can control.

As someone who has been out there working you need to demonstrate that you can handle the academic rigor of taking things like shelf exams and USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 (CK).

In terms of picking a specialty, why don't you focus on why you want to be a doctor, why you think you'll be good at it and what you need to learn. You have plenty of time to decide and this is also what the clinical years of med school are for. You are three years away from that at best. Focus on the step you're on which is what you can control.

..thank you so much for the information you've provided & for your advised. I'm currently enrolled in online MCAT prep course with Kaplan. I've cut back on clinical hours from 60hrs per week to 30hrs a week to enable me study for the MCAT. And believe me, I know that I need a competitive score. With regards to picking a specialty, your advised is noted & so do others thus far.

I would suggest you take a look at the Berk Review books...they are much better than Kaplan....

Thanks for your continue advised J DUB. I've invested a lot in Kaplan & EK materials. I intend to used both materials, however, I will look into Berk Review books as well. Would you recommend purchasing any particular one?

gen chem and ochem is a must. physics is ok to have. The bio i saw on the mcat had the same difficulty as EK 1001 bio passages so i wouldn't get TBR for bio. Theirs is overkill. Too bad, i just sold my BR books.

Its ok to go ROAD. Just don't broadcast it during interviews. Interview committes many times like to hear interest in primary care specialties, esp if the school is geared that way. So, tell them you want to go to rural or community hospital and do primary care, deliver babies etc. They'll love you. When you get in to med school, then you can do whatever you want.

Its ok to go ROAD. Just don't broadcast it during interviews. Interview committes many times like to hear interest in primary care specialties, esp if the school is geared that way. So, tell them you want to go to rural or community hospital and do primary care, deliver babies etc. They'll love you. When you get in to med school, then you can do whatever you want.

Yes Sir! Advice taken!! Matter of fact, I enjoyed IM as a PA!

Doctor Luv2Cut,

I want to be properly respectful here. So, tugging on my forelock, I humbly ask. Did you just advise him to lie during his interview?

Doctor Luv2Cut,

I want to be properly respectful here. So, tugging on my forelock, I humbly ask. Did you just advise him to lie during his interview?

And I would humbly advise anyone with dreams of ROADing it into the sunset to toss out a 240+ on Step 1 before you let those dreams grow roots. New MD schools, lots of new DO schools, no path/money for new residencies on the horizon. Whip out your supply/demand curves and follow along with me...

To the OP:

Have you ruled out DO? Or just not considered it? I understand you may not be interested as there are some international sites where DOs are still not fully recognized and this may wish to return home someday (although you didn't mention this)...but recognition is improving greatly both here in the US and abroad.

I've been a PA for 10 years. I will be matriculating into the first class of PAs to DOs at LECOM in Erie, PA next July...3 years instead of 4. Definitely a plus for me as it's a year less of tuition and a year less of not making any money after I've been used to a regular income.

FWIW, my PA GPA was similar (a little higher) to yours and my UG GPA very similar as well. I still had to "prove myself" to LECOM and perform passably on MCAT but it was much less important to the adcom than my PA grades (which I think helped a LOT). My clinical experiences were viewed VERY favorably and having strong letters of recommendation certainly did not hurt! I think the school also liked that I have taught PAs the past 2 years.

I applied 2 years ago to both MD and DO schools and hardly got a wink from MD schools but some interest from DO, and was waitlisted at one program. In fact I wasn't planning to apply this year but the invitation almost fell in my lap. For me, it's a very good fit, and it might be worth looking into.

I'm glad to answer any questions you may have by PM. I wish you the best on this journey.

:luck:

Lisa

To the OP:

Have you ruled out DO? Or just not considered it? I understand you may not be interested as there are some international sites where DOs are still not fully recognized and this may wish to return home someday (although you didn't mention this)...but recognition is improving greatly both here in the US and abroad.

I've been a PA for 10 years. I will be matriculating into the first class of PAs to DOs at LECOM in Erie, PA next July...3 years instead of 4. Definitely a plus for me as it's a year less of tuition and a year less of not making any money after I've been used to a regular income.

FWIW, my PA GPA was similar (a little higher) to yours and my UG GPA very similar as well. I still had to "prove myself" to LECOM and perform passably on MCAT but it was much less important to the adcom than my PA grades (which I think helped a LOT). My clinical experiences were viewed VERY favorably and having strong letters of recommendation certainly did not hurt! I think the school also liked that I have taught PAs the past 2 years.

I applied 2 years ago to both MD and DO schools and hardly got a wink from MD schools but some interest from DO, and was waitlisted at one program. In fact I wasn't planning to apply this year but the invitation almost fell in my lap. For me, it's a very good fit, and it might be worth looking into.

I'm glad to answer any questions you may have by PM. I wish you the best on this journey.

Lisa

Just to add to this.. if you do plan on going back home :)
It would be better if you went to the Carribean instead of DO IF you plan on going back home. I was considering DO, but most countries in Africa are not recognizing this right now... [There was a US DO that was trying to get rights to practice in SA but he was refused. I know SA is a little harsh anyways, but if you do want to go home avoid DO... It is not worth the risk...]

It's kinda sad though. I think those countries really need medical help and their refusing DOs which doesn't make sense... but this is what it is right now and I have a few friends in St. Georges that are actually get help from the governments...

Just a suggestion though :)

If you plan on going home avoid DO, first hand knowledge lol... Also if you go DO you will probably get a residency here and will be able to practice here :)

To the OP:

Lisa

...thank you for responding & congrats for your acceptance @ LECOM. I've read your post on SDN & you indeed provides valuable advised. With regards to your question; am not considering DO sch however, I intend to apply broadly.

Just to add to this.. if you do plan on going back home :)
It would be better if you went to the Carribean instead of DO IF you plan on going back home. I was considering DO, but most countries in Africa are not recognizing this right now... [There was a US DO that was trying to get rights to practice in SA but he was refused. I know SA is a little harsh anyways, but if you do want to go home avoid DO... It is not worth the risk...]

It's kinda sad though. I think those countries really need medical help and their refusing DOs which doesn't make sense... but this is what it is right now and I have a few friends in St. Georges that are actually get help from the governments...

Just a suggestion though :)

If you plan on going home avoid DO, first hand knowledge lol... Also if you go DO you will probably get a residency here and will be able to practice here :)

You're absolutely correct! Completely agreed!! Believe me, I'm aware if this issues. Considering my specialty of interest, DO isn't my top priority. With a good MCAT score, I'm very confident I will get accepted at MD sch.

Last edited:
Doctor Luv2Cut,

I don't think it is really a lie because frankly there is really NO WAY that people know what specialty they will like best before they do clerkships and electives. Seriously. Besides that is not the focus of an admissions interview which is more about why you want to be a doc, not what sort of doc you want to be (premature decision there that no one is expected to make). :D

It seems like you are very focused and have a bright future ahead! I do not have anything to add to the recommendations above. Good luck!

It seems like you are very focused and have a bright future ahead! I do not have anything to add to the recommendations above. Good luck!

Hey ucsfstudent; Thanks for stopping by & good luck to you as well.

You're a two handed dunk on this crap man.

Compelling narative. Time management demonstrated. Nothing will hold you back. Not even a mediocre MCAT.

And you're clinical experience is not stocking shelves or fetching blankets. It's the f'n real deal holyfield.

As in you teach the fools aroud you including your upperclassmen how to do clinical stuff.

An adcomm doesn't take you after making sure you're a clean marine. Then they're idiots.

You're a two handed dunk on this crap man.

Compelling narative. Time management demonstrated. Nothing will hold you back. Not even a mediocre MCAT.

And you're clinical experience is not stocking shelves or fetching blankets. It's the f'n real deal holyfield.

As in you teach the fools aroud you including your upperclassmen how to do clinical stuff.

An adcomm doesn't take you after making sure you're a clean marine. Then they're idiots.

Thanks for stopping by Nasrudin. I appreciate your kind word. And congrat to you man! I read your post & story. Pretty impressive. Study hard player!

To the OP:

Lisa

I had read something about the school starting such a program. Glad to see that you made it and good luck.

.....mCAt

Last edited:
To the OP:

Lisa

I missed this post. Fascinating. And long overdue. Maybe DO education can emerge to the forefront of it's former critical stance again with this premise. There needs to be a wide range of transitional programs. A year off this after being a PA. And I'd live in Erie. Or Fargo. Or wherever.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

stat:

-4yrs college program

3. Master Degree GPA 3.8

Thanks in advance.
I wish you the best bro!

You're absolutely correct! Completely agreed!! Believe me, I'm aware if this issues. Considering my specialty of interest, DO isn't my top priority. With a good MCAT score, I'm very confident I will get accepted at MD sch.

The DO match has ROAD specialties that you can match into as well. Im at MSU, and there were plenty of students that matched into these spots. Also, I know that were a lot of students that matched into Anesthesia in the Allopathic Match. The stats for both the Allo & Osteo Match for MSU are on their site http://com.msu.edu/admissions/index.html. Also, we have a DO/PhD program too. Either way, good luck to you.

Last edited:
The DO match has ROAD specialties that you can match into as well. Im at MSU, and there were plenty of students that matched into these spots. Also, I know that were a lot of students that matched into Anesthesia in the Allopathic Match. The stats for both the Allo & Osteo Match for MSU are on their site http://com.msu.edu/admissions/index.html. Also, we have a DO/PhD program too. Either way, good luck to you.
thanks for the info jphwki. Will add sch to list of DOs program that I will throw in my appl next circle. Good luck to you as well.

To the OP:

Lisa
The accelerated Physician Assistant Pathway @ LECOM is tempting!