blood pressure cut-off for procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nwbgn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What blood pressure cut-off (if any) are members using to decide to cancel a procedure? The question is posed due to possible steroid-induced or (very rare but possible) procedural pain in a non-sedated patient causing temporary blood pressure elevation which may theoretically lead to a cardiovascular event.

Members don't see this ad.

What blood pressure cut-off (if any) are members using to decide to cancel a procedure? The question is posed due to possible steroid-induced or (very rare but possible) procedural pain in a non-sedated patient causing temporary blood pressure elevation which may theoretically lead to a cardiovascular event.

Anesthesiology guidelines - there is an increased risk of perioperative complications in patients with systolic BP>=180 and diastolic >=110, but no evidence for increased risk below these levels.

OR a 20% increase over baseline blood pressure.

Anesthesiology guidelines - there is an increased risk of perioperative complications in patients with systolic BP>=180 and diastolic >=110, but no evidence for increased risk below these levels.

OR a 20% increase over baseline blood pressure.

I typically want the diastolic for sure to be <100

Systolic is varies.

Also, if I'm just doing a diagnostic MBB, there's no 'steroid induced increased BP" phenomenon that can occur. In fact, local anesthetic can decrease BP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I typically want the diastolic for sure to be <100

Systolic is varies.

Also, if I'm just doing a diagnostic MBB, there's no 'steroid induced increased BP" phenomenon that can occur. In fact, local anesthetic can decrease BP.

However the needles you insert prior to anesthetic injection are MORE likely to greatly increase BP before you ever get a drop.

I believe the steroid induced mechanism is related to sodium channel or aldosterone effects which results in fluid retention; this can cause increased preload and afterload on the heart, as well as increase risk for pulmonary edema from fluid overload; I believe this kicks in a day or so later

some advocate using half-dose steroid in those at risk

If they are on lasix or diuretic, I make sure they take them that day. Perhaps dialysis timing for those with ESRD should be considered