Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So overall I thought the exam was decent. I hope I did well enough to pass.

I did two blocks in a row, 10 min break, two blocks in a row, 20 minute lunch, two blocks, 10 minute break, one block, 5 minute break then the last block. Finished with about 2 hours to spare. Time wasn't an issue. The testing center was nice. I definitely recommend for future test takers to take 10 minute breaks rather than 5 minute breaks because it will take about a minute to get out and in due to them taking your palm print and checking your pockets, etc.

The sections all had 60 questions and went vignette, stand-alone, vignette, stand-alone, etc. The stand-alone questions were mostly pretty clear and not too difficult. I definitely got several right because of Spiegel, some were practically lifted from it. Boards Vitals was OK but I didn't remember any questions from the board exam that made me think of Board Vitals. I did Spiegel 3 times and I thought that was plenty, and the vignette section at the back I found pretty helpful (I used the second edition). I did all of the vignettes from Board Vitals and didn't think they were particularly helpful (mostly "what's the diagnosis based on this video" type questions). The stand-alone Board Vitals questions were so so, a bit too detailed and like I mentioned, not particularly helpful for boards.

Spiegel was good enough for neuro I feel like. Kaufman neuro notes were too detailed.

Overall my Spiegel percentage was 77.2% across the 6 tests. I scored 77% on test 1, 75% on test 2, 79% on test 3, 74% on test 4, 81% on test 5 and 77% on test 6. I scored 75% on the vignettes (which I thought were easier than the stand alone questions). On Board Vitals was about 74% (only half the question bank finished).

I didn't use Beat the Boards and from what I gather from most of my friends, they thought it was a so so preparer for the actual board exam. It was clear to me that those who did not use Spiegel missed a few questions that they could have gotten right otherwise (although the same could be true for me with respect to Boards Vitals, so who knows).

Overall, the vignettes were hit or miss. The video quality was good, but several of the "pick 3" questions I would definitely know 2 of the answers, and then from the remaining 3 or so choices, I could pick one or two for the third answer choice, so that was tricky. They definitely tested a lot of conditions that aren't seen in practice as much. On many vignettes I got a sense that the writer was a psychodynamic psychiatrist.

My test had one exact question repeated 3 times and another different question repeated 3 times (I knew the first question, but not the second one, so I either got 6/6 or 3/6 since I picked the same answer each time).

I'm not gonna stress too much over it although I think I'll definitely be nervous on results day. I'll update once I know my score.
Pistolpete it seems to me you are purely a spiegel pumper . Stop promoting turds it's not ethical. Spiegel is not simulate the real exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Spiegel is not the end-all-be-all of test prep, but there were questions on the real exam that seemed to come right out of it. Until something better comes along, I think you are better off doing it than not.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh hi, I guess I'm sober again finally... hahaha ;-) I feel pretty confident that I passed, but it was definitely a beast of a test. The vignettes were awful (although that one dude just cracked me up! Anyone else get that guy? Great acting, I must say.) I agree, Spiegel is a MUST for test preparation. BTB was good too, but I def would not rely on that as my sole preparation. See you guys around score release time......
ps. anyone going to be taking child boards?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oh hi, I guess I'm sober again finally... hahaha ;-) I feel pretty confident that I passed, but it was definitely a beast of a test. The vignettes were awful (although that one dude just cracked me up! Anyone else get that guy? Great acting, I must say.) I agree, Spiegel is a MUST for test preparation. BTB was good too, but I def would not rely on that as my sole preparation. See you guys around score release time......
ps. anyone going to be taking child boards?

Yup. Any idea on how to prepare for that next year?

Beware about spiegel pumpers. Some people are paid pumpers and trying to misguided newbie. Spiegel is outdated not simulated exam . It helps little bit with good explanation .
It's weird that you've talked about this twice now. Spiegel was a great book. I used nothing else and passed. Do we know of anyone who actually got paid to post about it here, or are you just more skeptical than average?

Beware about spiegel pumpers. Some people are paid pumpers and trying to misguided newbie. Spiegel is outdated not simulated exam . It helps little bit with good explanation .
Oooh I would love to be a "paid pumper" wonder how much they get paid? Hahahaha that is too funny

Actually the big tradpub houses rarely used 'paid pumpers'; Tradpubs are actually known for their giant fail when it comes to social media engagement. ON the other hand, outfits that rely on word of mouth and online sales usually do use them. Meaning you're almost definitely being paid by either BTB (or my guess) BoardVitals to cast aspersions on what is probably the best reference out there.

Actually the big tradpub houses rarely used 'paid pumpers'; Tradpubs are actually known for their giant fail when it comes to social media engagement. ON the other hand, outfits that rely on word of mouth and online sales usually do use them. Meaning you're almost definitely being paid by either BTB (or my guess) BoardVitals to cast aspersions on what is probably the best reference out there.

Agreed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spiegel was hands down the best option. Costs less than the others and had the best questions in terms of covering the range of subject matter (though a few were blatantly incorrect, as has been mentioned here before). I tried BV, which was mediocre, but somewhat helpful for getting used to the strangeness of the vignettes.

Not sure what Rockystar is talking about when saying Spiegel is not a simulated exam. The whole thing can be done as a simulated test online, once you buy the book. In fact, I barely cracked the book and did questions on my computer and phone.

Just wanted this to be clear for people who are considering what to use next year.

Just wanted this to be clear for people who are considering what to use next year.

I'll be taking boards next year so thanks for all the feedback. Looks like Spiegel is likely neccessary but not totally sufficient and +/- on BTB and BV.

Many of my fellow PGY4s are swearing up and down on BTB (several PGY4 groups around the country emailing/scrambling to get the 50% group discount) and makes it look as if BTB is a must-have...which likely may be more a testament to BTB's marketing/business prowess rather than actual ABPN-beating ability (from this forums feedback at least).

yup you are better off with spiegel... until I release my own board prep materials which will be much better

This better be out in time for the boards in 2017! (Also SDN special discount?)

I'll be taking boards next year so thanks for all the feedback. Looks like Spiegel is likely neccessary but not totally sufficient and +/- on BTB and BV.

Many of my fellow PGY4s are swearing up and down on BTB (several PGY4 groups around the country emailing/scrambling to get the 50% group discount) and makes it look as if BTB is a must-have...which likely may be more a testament to BTB's marketing/business prowess rather than actual ABPN-beating ability (from this forums feedback at least).

I didn't do BTB. I barely did K&S so take all of this with a grain of salt. My understanding of the reasons people love BTB falls into three categories:

1) Poor baseline knowledge in psych.

2) Test Anxiety - People who appreciate the completeness, handfeeding, and polish of BTB

3) People who view board prep as a chance to brush up on all of their konwledge, for its own sake, in addition to passing the boards.

Not sure when this happened but i noticed my status on abpn folios changed to pending release of grades. Looking at posts it may or may not mean anything. In 2014 the child results came out early like this year, but the adult had a "pending release" on 12/4 then scores on 12/10. In 2015 child and adult both came out on 12/11 and 12/8 and "pending release of grades" had a 19 days wait for adult.

I'm fully expecting it to take till dec 8-10 for adult results based on the past two years but something tells me with the early child results and sudden change in pending for adult that there is a small chance for a Thanksgiving surprise.. and if not then dec8-10.. anyways back to work for me.

Reactions: 1 users
My humble opinion on what is worth your valuable time and money and what is not.

I used textbooks and online test prep companies, so I can comment on both. I'm the type of student who can't cram, so my approach has always been plan months out and do a slow yet steady approach to any major test prep.

6 months out from the Psychaitry Boards I began reading Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology, hitting the key chapters. You know you need to know your seizures, your polyneuropathies, your neuroanatomy, your special senses, your lesions, etc. I also read Clinical neurology for psychiatrists by Kauffman twice doing all the questions. Between those 2 I had neurology down pat. 40% of the Psychiatry Boards is neuro, so my strategy was to nail that (I also love studying Neuro).

Board Vitals - I was really disappointed. Mistakes in not only type-o's but content jumped out every so often, and some of the answers were just plain wrong and some of the questions were not well written. It was annoying. The video in the vignettes was a tad amateurish, like college students put it together. You get lots of questions, so it's good for practicing questions, but don't hold your breath for high quality. Most of the questions felt like someone copied material out of textbooks, and it didn't ask the kind of questions that were representative of the real board exam.

Beat the Boards - I didn't do this because it's way too expensive. Someone I know did it and felt it was just so so with uninspiring videos. If you need someone to hold your hand to study this is a fair option.

TrueLearn - good for other specialties, not good for psychiatry. Questions are too difficult and not anything like the real board exam.

Spiegel is solid. But too short. It does not cover quite enough territory in my opinion. It's a must-have, but you need more.

Reading Kaplan and Sadock's synopsis of psychiatry is overkill because so much in there isn't even tested on the boards. (i got through 80% and felt I only used 20% on the boards)

Unless a better test prep online company shows up with better questions that are more representative of the real test, with no mistakes, and is affordable, your best bet it to review what you've learned over 4 years and really study hard for neurology. I feel like you really can't study that well for the psychiatry portion, so I'd go overboard with neuro, get like 90% of those questions right, and that should carry you through the rest.

Good luck for those taking it next year!!

(If I hear of any other test preps I will let you know)

I noticed that the applications for the Sleep medicine certification exam is available under my folio. Does that mean I passed the psychiatry board? There is this statement above the available exam "The Examinations listed below reflect the available choices you currently have based on your Certification with the ABPN and the examination schedule."

I noticed that the applications for the Sleep medicine certification exam is available under my folio. Does that mean I passed the psychiatry board? There is this statement above the available exam "The Examinations listed below reflect the available choices you currently have based on your Certification with the ABPN and the examination schedule."

Same here! It is allowing me to apply for pain boards and sleep boards. I looked in to those exams and it clearly states that you must be board certified in psychiatry, neurology, etc. in order to take those exams. I spoke to two of my friends who are in the same boat. I'm still waiting for the official email but it made me feel a bit better.

Same here! It is allowing me to apply for pain boards and sleep boards. I looked in to those exams and it clearly states that you must be board certified in psychiatry, neurology, etc. in order to take those exams. I spoke to two of my friends who are in the same boat. I'm still waiting for the official email but it made me feel a bit better.

It does allow me too apply for pain and sleep exam but my home page also show link to apply for initial psychiatry certification exam too. Though when i click it, it shows that additional information is required from my residency program before i can apply which of course doesn't make sense.
Does it show for others too?

I think when this happened last year, score release come shortly thereafter, but I don't think it automatically means it's a pass. Let's all hope it does though!

I think last year people could apply for similar other boards exams on nov 5 2015 but scores didn't come out till dec 8 2015 so it could still be a while. I hope not!

It does allow me too apply for pain and sleep exam but my home page also show link to apply for initial psychiatry certification exam too. Though when i click it, it shows that additional information is required from my residency program before i can apply which of course doesn't make sense.
Does it show for others too?

I get the same message when I try to apply for initial certification. Is there anyone that is NOT getting the option to apply for sleep and pain boards?

I have the option to apply for those, plus child. It's actually letting me go all the way to the payment stage of Child. But I'm stopping myself, because I'm sure there'd be some giant 2594 dollar fee to refund the 2595 if it turns out I failed adult.

Looks like the apply for specialty boards hack wasn't true. I didn't pass. I hope everyone else had better luck.

Mine says Certified on 9/22/16 then "certification contingent on meeting MOC requirements"

I think that means I'm all passed?

Anyways, like i said before I still think Spiegel is great I did it like 4-5x through and got a group discount for beat the boards and then split one account with 2 others so i paid 130 bucks for beat the boards which i thought was worth it for sure.

I didn't touch board vitals, MGH, focus, and even though i bought kaufman's neurology and briefly flipped through it, it is way overkill for the test.

Last edited:
So overall I thought the exam was decent. I hope I did well enough to pass.

I did two blocks in a row, 10 min break, two blocks in a row, 20 minute lunch, two blocks, 10 minute break, one block, 5 minute break then the last block. Finished with about 2 hours to spare. Time wasn't an issue. The testing center was nice. I definitely recommend for future test takers to take 10 minute breaks rather than 5 minute breaks because it will take about a minute to get out and in due to them taking your palm print and checking your pockets, etc.

The sections all had 60 questions and went vignette, stand-alone, vignette, stand-alone, etc. The stand-alone questions were mostly pretty clear and not too difficult. I definitely got several right because of Spiegel, some were practically lifted from it. Boards Vitals was OK but I didn't remember any questions from the board exam that made me think of Board Vitals. I did Spiegel 3 times and I thought that was plenty, and the vignette section at the back I found pretty helpful (I used the second edition). I did all of the vignettes from Board Vitals and didn't think they were particularly helpful (mostly "what's the diagnosis based on this video" type questions). The stand-alone Board Vitals questions were so so, a bit too detailed and like I mentioned, not particularly helpful for boards.

Spiegel was good enough for neuro I feel like. Kaufman neuro notes were too detailed.

Overall my Spiegel percentage was 77.2% across the 6 tests. I scored 77% on test 1, 75% on test 2, 79% on test 3, 74% on test 4, 81% on test 5 and 77% on test 6. I scored 75% on the vignettes (which I thought were easier than the stand alone questions). On Board Vitals was about 74% (only half the question bank finished).

I didn't use Beat the Boards and from what I gather from most of my friends, they thought it was a so so preparer for the actual board exam. It was clear to me that those who did not use Spiegel missed a few questions that they could have gotten right otherwise (although the same could be true for me with respect to Boards Vitals, so who knows).

Overall, the vignettes were hit or miss. The video quality was good, but several of the "pick 3" questions I would definitely know 2 of the answers, and then from the remaining 3 or so choices, I could pick one or two for the third answer choice, so that was tricky. They definitely tested a lot of conditions that aren't seen in practice as much. On many vignettes I got a sense that the writer was a psychodynamic psychiatrist.

My test had one exact question repeated 3 times and another different question repeated 3 times (I knew the first question, but not the second one, so I either got 6/6 or 3/6 since I picked the same answer each time).

I'm not gonna stress too much over it although I think I'll definitely be nervous on results day. I'll update once I know my score.

Passed!!! FYI I did have the link to apply to sleep/pain/child psych a few days ago, but it doesn't look like it means anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Passed. For anyone who is becoming an attending in July, try to pay for boards before Dec 31. Much better tax advantages.

Mine says Certified on 9/22/16 then "certification contingent on meeting MOC requirements"

I think that means I'm all passed?

Anyways, like i said before I still think Spiegel is great I did it like 4-5x through and got a group discount for beat the boards and then split one account with 2 others so i paid 130 bucks for beat the boards which i thought was worth it for sure.

I didn't touch board vitals, MGH, focus, and even though i bought kaufman's neurology and briefly flipped through it, it is way overkill for the test.

Mine says the same thing.

It does mean passed. It should show your certificate number on there.

As an employee I can only deduct the amount that is above 2% of my AGI, right?
Yes, this. A threshold that's far easier to meet as a resident. 1k vs 4-5k on average. Also, the deductions and tax savings are more likely to feel awesome when we're poor than after we're attendings. For me, I'm already well above the threshold so it's all gravy.

Passed. You have to click the bottom tab that says "Examination History Records and Status" where it says, "Click to View" to see "passed."

I did Beat the Boards (didn't get all the way through) and some of Spiegel. Some of the questions were verbatim from Spiegel, although some Spiegel questions were strange. Spiegel does have examples of the Vignettes. It's a bargain. I got BtB at 50% off. It was useful too. I think you could pass with just Spiegel though.

Yes, this. A threshold that's far easier to meet as a resident. 1k vs 4-5k on average. Also, the deductions and tax savings are more likely to feel awesome when we're poor than after we're attendings. For me, I'm already well above the threshold so it's all gravy.

"Instead of a single fee at the time of the MOC examination, participants in the C-MOC program pay an annual fee. This fee covers maintenance of board certification status, use of a personalized ABPN Physician Folios account with customized MOC tracker, and development and administrative costs of MOC examinations. Each annual fee payment will apply a 10% credit to a single MOC exam. Annual fee payments are designed to cover one single MOC exam every ten years at no additional cost."

I'm assuming this annual fee would be tax-deductible as well? The MOC stuff looks terrible. Ugh, what a pain. Will definitely look into NBPAS now.

Congrats to those who passed. I get to take it again next year or just not be board certified. I really don't know if I want to go thru that again. I do private practice and take cash Medicare and Blue Cross only and neither of those requires you to be board certified.

"Instead of a single fee at the time of the MOC examination, participants in the C-MOC program pay an annual fee. This fee covers maintenance of board certification status, use of a personalized ABPN Physician Folios account with customized MOC tracker, and development and administrative costs of MOC examinations. Each annual fee payment will apply a 10% credit to a single MOC exam. Annual fee payments are designed to cover one single MOC exam every ten years at no additional cost."

I'm assuming this annual fee would be tax-deductible as well? The MOC stuff looks terrible. Ugh, what a pain. Will definitely look into NBPAS now.

It is "tax deductible" but a minimal deduction at best for any significant benefit against our wages. It's best to let ABPN that you're not very thrilled having to do extra work, pay money to support their lavish lifestyle (CEO makes 800k/yr for doing nothing) and to keep taking exams.

I passed, and felt I would pretty comfortably. I went through Kenny & Spiegel 3 times or so and really took my time with it. I also got an old copy of the review notes from the Kauffman review course, which was super helpful and great study material. That's pretty much all that I studied, and I felt that was more than enough. I also kept my phone with me and would look things up as I went along if I wasn't as up to speed on it as I would like. I felt this method really prepared me for the knowledge-based questions. As for the vignettes and videos, they seemed far more open to interpretation and harder to prep for.

Anyone have any idea about what to study for child boards? There is BTB and the Practice Parameters. I have heard that the Shen book is terrible. Any thoughts?

Also, for those weighing on taking this as a resident or as an attending, keep in mind that most attending gigs have CME money. My employer paid for my board exam entirely.

Last edited:
If I had just used Kenny & Spiegel, I don't think I would have passed. You need more, especially for neuro prep.

Congrats to those who passed. I get to take it again next year or just not be board certified. I really don't know if I want to go thru that again. I do private practice and take cash Medicare and Blue Cross only and neither of those requires you to be board certified.

I wouldn't take it if I were you....you won't get paid more, and honestly the patients who care about this sort of thing are likely to be demanding time consuming patients anyways. save the time and money and just keep on keeping on. I would trade my board certification status in for a 25 dollar starbucks gift card

I wouldn't take it if I were you....you won't get paid more, and honestly the patients who care about this sort of thing are likely to be demanding time consuming patients anyways. save the time and money and just keep on keeping on. I would trade my board certification status in for a 25 dollar starbucks gift card

Haha! I passed, but I don't really know how worthwhile it was. K&S and Kauffman's neuro are a must for this beast of an exam. Those two resources were the most helpful. For child, I just bought Thomas and Poncin but haven't cracked it yet.