Board Certification post Single accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoPathic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to write a post here as I've heard this question come up recently about what would happen to DO graduates who graduate from a program that transitions to ACGME accreditation.

This is taken directly from the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery website: https://www.abos.org/certification/part-i-examination.aspx

Osteopathic Residency Education Programs

As stated in the Rules and Procedures, candidates for Board Certification by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) are required to complete an orthopaedic residency education program that is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Every year of individual’s residency must be in a program that is fully accredited by the ACGME at the time the resident is at the institution. The ACGME, the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), and the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) have created a single accreditation system for both allopathic and osteopathic residency educational programs and many osteopathic programs are working towards attaining ACGME accreditation. However, to begin the Board Certification process through the ABOS, an osteopathic resident physician will be required to be in a residency educational program that is ACGME accredited at the time that they begin the program and that accreditation must stay active throughout the resident’s education. This principle applies to allopathic resident physicians as well.

Just wanted to point out for the new intern class starting this year, unless your AOA accredited program has already achieved initial accreditation BEFORE you began residency, you will not be eligible to sit for the ABOS exam. This includes a handful of DO programs who have successfully attained initial accreditation so far: Plainview, Cuyahoga Falls, Broward, Lansing. I may be missing a few but I don't think that many.

Moving forward for future applicants, this is an area you will want to evaluate in selecting which residencies to rotate through. If you want to be ABOS certified in the future, you must choose a residency that will attain initial accreditation prior to your intern year.

Obviously anything might happen in the future, but as it stands now the ABOS has made this stance clear.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user