Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomizer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering about all the advantages/disadvantages/considerations re obtaining BC/BE in psych for a licensed (non-BC'd) physician. If one has an unrestricted license, what are the advantages of Board certification in Psychiatry? Or, put another way, what are the disadvantages on not being board certified? Haven't really been able to find this information in earlier posts.

I can think of lots of circumstances where this might arise -- one example would be foreign trained docs who possess US license; I can think of lots of other for examples. (please note, I am not asking about the clinical training provided by a residency training -- I am wondering about actual BC).

The obvious thing is getting hired/prospective employers requiring BC/BE. Other topics I've wondered about are the impact on obtaining malpractice insurance. Reimbursement from insurers (though I see a lot of psych docs opting out altogether). Is there anything a board certified psych can be reimbursed for vs. a non-bc licensed md?

I am unsure whether there are big topics I have completely missed. Other considerations? What exactly does BC in psych do for a doc?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In several state systems, your pay is higher with a BC.

If you go to court, the opposing attorney can attempt to give you grief over not being board certified--which IMHO is a waste of time, but nevertheless is still done. The legal definition of an expert witness is simply one who knows more than a layman, so for all intents and purposes a medical student can act as a psychiatric expert witness.

However opposing attorneys still want to play that card because while the court will have to allow you as an expert witness, it will still take the feather out of the cap.

ACGME requirements state that teaching psychiatrists need to be board certified or at least be involved in some type of extra-curricular academic activity such as research.

I'm not sure if being BE v BC will help lower your insurance rates. I'm paying insurance this year, but didn't look into that because I didn't have a choice in the matter. I'm currently BE, passed my written exam and can't take the oral exam until June.