Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Cool!

I just learned today that I am not actually 'boarded' in pain. My 'board' is my primary specialty - with a certificate in subspecialty. I had always told people I was boarded in pain. Oops, my bad.

Shame on you, silly man.

(just kidding)

For the low low price of $x.xx I will certify all of you in the IBPM. I can make up certificates and everything.

I is for internet and not international.
Board certification requires a pulse and a donation to the Save the Steve Foundation.

Here is the thing that is just a tad upsetting. The ABPM seems very official and important and if you read their FAQ's and look at the requirments - on the surface - it seems legit, but it really comes down to being able to get their certificate for the price. So if I were an anesthesiologist, did 2 months of pain (that is the requirement) and each month took 2 weeks of my vacation time - I would finish with1 month of pain, could pay the money to take that test, and hang on the wall I was a certified pain doc. That is nuts!

Our fellowship just recently finished its ACGME accredidation stuff. It was a rigourous, laborious, and difficult process. To have an accredited pain program is NOT EASY - and the requirements put upon the programs to assure adequate education is no joke.

But why would anyone outside the in-the-know think any different? It's kinda crazy really.

Here is the thing that is just a tad upsetting. The ABPM seems very official and important and if you read their FAQ's and look at the requirments - on the surface - it seems legit, but it really comes down to being able to get their certificate for the price. So if I were an anesthesiologist, did 2 months of pain (that is the requirement) and each month took 2 weeks of my vacation time - I would finish with1 month of pain, could pay the money to take that test, and hang on the wall I was a certified pain doc. That is nuts!

Our fellowship just recently finished its ACGME accredidation stuff. It was a rigourous, laborious, and difficult process. To have an accredited pain program is NOT EASY - and the requirements put upon the programs to assure adequate education is no joke.

But why would anyone outside the in-the-know think any different? It's kinda crazy really.
It's definitely not ABMS certifed.

The unfortuante thing is that almost every pain society has it's own "board". This is why I think fellowships matter more than 'boarding' when it comes to Pain Medicine. As you mentioned, just shelling the $$ over, gets you the paper. I think this sort of thing detracts from the high quality education that guys like you are creating .

Last edited:
I believe ABPMed does do an exam. Before or after the AAPMed mtg,they often have a review course for it. I believe there are a few states that recognize it as legitimate to declare one's self as "Board Certified" in pain. The selection criteria to take the exam is rather wide - most any doc can take it.

It seems like ABIPP which sprung out of ASIPP has the best shot at becoming recognized by the ABMS. It may take a few tries but I know they have (or plan on) applying for recognition.

It seems like ABIPP which sprung out of ASIPP has the best shot at becoming recognized by the ABMS. It may take a few tries but I know they have (or plan on) applying for recognition.

I think this is unlikely. Similar to the ABEM for EMG board certification. My understanding is ABMS does not want to allow any "procedural" boards. So instead of making Electrodiagnostic medicine a recognized subspecialty they began the Neuromuscular medicine certification.

I believe ABPMed does do an exam. Before or after the AAPMed mtg,they often have a review course for it. I believe there are a few states that recognize it as legitimate to declare one's self as "Board Certified" in pain. The selection criteria to take the exam is rather wide - most any doc can take it.

Its true that most any doc can take it, but anesth, PMR, neuro, and psych (and maybe a couple more) just pay the fee and take the test (no fellowship). Any other doc has to have a fellowship or have their residency program director attest to training in lieu of a fellowship. When I was a resident I showed the form with the topics that constitute training in lieu of fellowship to the attending running the pain program. He laughed and said that he hadn't covered half of those topics in his fellowship at U of Chicago.

ABIPP will not become an ABMS board simply because the ABMS does not recognize pain as a disease or a distinct specialty. Their take is that pain treatment is multidisciplinary and involves virtually every specialty.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:That is not going to happen.