Board certified ophthalmologist work life balance and pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

=w=

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just finished my first semester and I’m very interested in ophthalmology after all the lectures and also base on my shadowing experience. I will speak to one of our ophthalmologist and potentially do a summer research in optic disease. I’m seeking for some reality of being an ophthalmologist. Is the residency really that competitive? How’s the work life balance as a resident and after become a board certified ophthalmologist? How’s the pay? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the residency really that competitive?
I’m not specializing but two rotating interns from my clinical year both ended up in ophtho internships after their rotating vs getting into a residency, so I would assume it’s definitely really that competitive

I’m not specializing but two rotating interns from my clinical year both ended up in ophtho internships after their rotating vs getting into a residency, so I would assume it’s definitely really that competitive
😱😱Thank you so much! That’s also what the ophthalmology technician told me, most residents have two years of internship experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not an ophthalmologist, but having been around to lots of institutions and known a lot of people interested in many fields, yes ophtho is one of the most competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a classmate who went into ophtho. She did rotating, specialty, and started her residency this past summer at Mizzou.

I recommend spending some breaks with your school's ophtho and then some time with private practice ophthos. They'll have different pay, different expectations.

Reactions: 2 users
Also not an ophtho (the only thing I like to do with eyes is take them out 😝), but here to agree that it’s very competitive. The work/life balance as any intern or resident is not going to be great - that isn’t the point of either of them. Ophtho might not be quite as heavy as medicine or surgery in terms of on call, but that’s pure speculation on my part - my program does not have an ophtho residency so idk.

Second bats’ recommendation about spending time with academic and private practice ophthos.

Reactions: 1 user
Ophtho residencies are very competitive. And they don't go through the VIRMP match.

Call for residents is not too bad. Not as many emergency procedures as surgery or neurology but more than something like derm. Corneal perforations are the most common emergency surgeries. Other than surgeries, the majority of ophtho patients are out patients, so not a lot of cases in the hospital.

Private practice ophthalmologists are very well paid.

Hi everyone! I just finished my first semester and I’m very interested in ophthalmology after all the lectures and also base on my shadowing experience. I will speak to one of our ophthalmologist and potentially do a summer research in optic disease. I’m seeking for some reality of being an ophthalmologist. Is the residency really that competitive? How’s the work life balance as a resident and after become a board certified ophthalmologist? How’s the pay? Thank you!
There's a great episode of the podcast "So You're a Vet..Now What?" with Moriah McCauley, and she interviews Alex Sigmund who is a private practice ophthalmologist. Check it out. He talks about the process of getting into a residency, and yeah it's a very competitive, exclusive club of "who you know". Would definitely recommend spending time at both a private practice and in academia - private practice typically sees dozens of appts per day, that are all like 15-20 mins. They are extremely well paid. 300k+ annual salary is typical from what I have been told. IMO, it's one of the best specialties for work/life balance and salary. You just have to really love eyes, be academically strong, and persistent.

Reactions: 1 users
Not an ophthalmologist, but having been around to lots of institutions and known a lot of people interested in many fields, yes ophtho is one of the most competitive.
Thank you!

I had a classmate who went into ophtho. She did rotating, specialty, and started her residency this past summer at Mizzou.

I recommend spending some breaks with your school's ophtho and then some time with private practice ophthos. They'll have different pay, different expectations.
Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Also not an ophtho (the only thing I like to do with eyes is take them out 😝), but here to agree that it’s very competitive. The work/life balance as any intern or resident is not going to be great - that isn’t the point of either of them. Ophtho might not be quite as heavy as medicine or surgery in terms of on call, but that’s pure speculation on my part - my program does not have an ophtho residency so idk.

Second bats’ recommendation about spending time with academic and private practice ophthos.
Good to know! Thank you!

Ophtho residencies are very competitive. And they don't go through the VIRMP match.

Call for residents is not too bad. Not as many emergency procedures as surgery or neurology but more than something like derm. Corneal perforations are the most common emergency surgeries. Other than surgeries, the majority of ophtho patients are out patients, so not a lot of cases in the hospital.

Private practice ophthalmologists are very well paid.
Thank you so much!!

There's a great episode of the podcast "So You're a Vet..Now What?" with Moriah McCauley, and she interviews Alex Sigmund who is a private practice ophthalmologist. Check it out. He talks about the process of getting into a residency, and yeah it's a very competitive, exclusive club of "who you know". Would definitely recommend spending time at both a private practice and in academia - private practice typically sees dozens of appts per day, that are all like 15-20 mins. They are extremely well paid. 300k+ annual salary is typical from what I have been told. IMO, it's one of the best specialties for work/life balance and salary. You just have to really love eyes, be academically strong, and persistent.
Thank you! I will look into that!

Not a big eye guy but I have 4 friends who are crazy about ophtho because of the possible work life balance AFTER the residency. Depending on the school and service the work life balance can differ greatly but in WCVM, life in ophtho is basically a dream; so do a good research on places which offers program and offers great experiences. It is definitely very competitive and it depends a lot on the people you know and people who would recommend you so go to ACVO, make networks and connections and start shadowing to make good impressions. In Canada there is only ONE residency program; and a heck tonnes of candidates are eyeing on it. So, start fast, in fact start now, get case reports or research going if you have the chance, and you will have a better chance to stand out when you finish vet school. It is all about the cards you have.

Not a big eye guy but I have 4 friends who are crazy about ophtho because of the possible work life balance AFTER the residency. Depending on the school and service the work life balance can differ greatly but in WCVM, life in ophtho is basically a dream; so do a good research on places which offers program and offers great experiences. It is definitely very competitive and it depends a lot on the people you know and people who would recommend you so go to ACVO, make networks and connections and start shadowing to make good impressions. In Canada there is only ONE residency program; and a heck tonnes of candidates are eyeing on it. So, start fast, in fact start now, get case reports or research going if you have the chance, and you will have a better chance to stand out when you finish vet school. It is all about the cards you have.
Thank you for all the info and advice!!!