Board exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroKlitch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any score correlates to the real exam with the practice tests from spiegal and Kenny ? Not sure how to gauge my readiness . Plan is s and k plus board vitals.

Members don't see this ad.

No one knows really, there is no systematic studying of it. I think if you do well on BV you are in good shape, that was my experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m about halfway through BoardVitals hitting hitting mid-80s for percent correct. However, I’ve also found 3 answers that were straight up wrong and staff has corrected them. Starting K&S soon, so can’t comment there, but can also give comparisons once I’m a little deeper there.

Members don't see this ad :)
i way overstudied and used board vitals, beat the boards, K and s and a few other sources. Really i think the most useful information was surprisngly beat the boards. The lectures, not their questions though. The lectures had a lot of useful info. I found that boardvitals focused on numbers/incidences and minute things that never appeared

Are there any score correlates to the real exam with the practice tests from spiegal and Kenny ? Not sure how to gauge my readiness . Plan is s and k plus board vitals.
Mypsychboard is the closet to the real thing

I have a similar question but wondering about BTB specifically and if there is a correlation with % correct and passing? One of my attendings suggested at least 70%... any thoughts?

Also do you all recommend the K&S test questions more for practice by doing several a day or do you save the questions towards the end of your study period and do the 150 questions timed in one sitting? Thanks!

Holy sheet. I really should start studying.

Guess I'll grab board vitals in addition to spiegal to cram over the next month.

😬😬😬

I've been doing beat the boards and averaging 80%. Anyone know if this correlates with passing based on their anecdotal experience?

Holy sheet. I really should start studying.

Guess I'll grab board vitals in addition to spiegal to cram over the next month.

😬😬😬
I'd pick another qbank over BV. As I said in another thread it's been more and more disappointing as I've progressed through it. I'm hitting about 85% in BV for what it's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been doing beat the boards and averaging 80%. Anyone know if this correlates with passing based on their anecdotal experience?
Almost done with BTB first pass and also averaging 80%. Is it just me or are there many repeats showing up?

Reactions: 1 users
What's your study plan as you get closer to the test?
BTB lectures, K&S question book, and my Anki cards from my incorrects. I will try to get through a 2nd pass using just incorrect questions only but will prioritize K&S moving forward.

Has anyone tried PIPE exam?
It is written by ACP- same source who writes PRITE questions. I was told Questions are similar to real board exam.
Anyone who used it?

Just finished K&S , my average between the 6 tests is about 68%. A month out now , hopefully finishing board vitals (1000 more Qs to go) and going over incorrect answers will be enough .

Whats the best way to tackle these vignettes? If you don't select one correct answer, then the whole thing is wrong. It's pretty frustrating. Right now I am using K&S but have used BtB.

Whats the best way to tackle these vignettes? If you don't select one correct answer, then the whole thing is wrong. It's pretty frustrating. Right now I am using K&S but have used BtB.
Yes, the vignettes are harder on the exam. K and S is good for single item MCQ but need to supplement it with something else for vignettes. BTB is not really good for questions.

Yes, the vignettes are harder on the exam. K and S is good for single item MCQ but need to supplement it with something else for vignettes. BTB is not really good for questions.
What is a good vignette resource?

Ive gone all in on BTB. I'm doing well, about 80% correct. Is this not enough to suggest I will pass?

Ive gone all in on BTB. I'm doing well, about 80% correct. Is this not enough to suggest I will pass?
No idea, but I'm hoping so! I'm at a 77% with 24% of the qbank completed. I did about 15% of the Qs before watching videos though. I got 79th percentile on the PRITE last year and my PD and chair both agreed that at least a 60%tile on PRITE was a pretty good indicator of boards. No idea if that's true or not, but I'm hoping these two metrics are holding out for me!

Oh ok. Well, I still have time to work it out. Thanks for the response.

I didn’t do psychgenius so can’t comment. Mypsychboard vignettes were really good and hard similar to the ones you may see on the real
thing.

What was your overall experience with Mypsychboard interface. What were the cons, it is close to $400 for a 30 day access, is it worth buying it 3 weeks before the exam. Thanks
It is not worth starting anything new three weeks before the exam. I like their Q bank, but if it is three weeks, I would continue doing what I am doing.

No idea, but I'm hoping so! I'm at a 77% with 24% of the qbank completed. I did about 15% of the Qs before watching videos though. I got 79th percentile on the PRITE last year and my PD and chair both agreed that at least a 60%tile on PRITE was a pretty good indicator of boards. No idea if that's true or not, but I'm hoping these two metrics are holding out for me!
I would doubt your PD. 60 percentile on PRITE cannot pass you the boards. What number of questions is it that are right out of 300 which makes 60 percentile?

I would doubt your PD. 60 percentile on PRITE cannot pass you the boards. What number of questions is it that are right out of 300 which makes 60 percentile?
I don't think they meant you were ready at that moment, but was a good prognostic indicator. I'm not sure.

I'd pick another qbank over BV. As I said in another thread it's been more and more disappointing as I've progressed through it. I'm hitting about 85% in BV for what it's worth.

Yeah, I don't love it but it's what I'm working with in addition to Spiegel. I'm sitting in the low 70s right now with a week to go so... hail mary?

I'm at 81% on Beat the Boards. Anyone know how this one correlates to passing?

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Fewer than 50% of people fail, so scoring higher on similar tests than 60% of people sounds pretty comfortably above the passing threshold.

Reactions: 3 users
What I thought would be least helpful was most helpful. The beat the boards psychiatry lectures had a lot of things that were tested. The questions were useless though. K and S for me was only useful for a couple of questions. Overall doable test, but there are wtf questions that are stupid and probably most people get wrong unless you know random psych trivia

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Fewer than 50% of people fail, so scoring higher on similar tests than 60% of people sounds pretty comfortably above the passing threshold.

Right I think people forget that only around 10% of test takers fail the general boards and child psych boards every administration. It's even lower for the other subspecialty boards.

Right I think people forget that only around 10% of test takers fail the general boards and child psych boards every administration. It's even lower for the other subspecialty boards.
I dont know why this didn't click sooner. You're right in that 90% pass.

Is it sound logic to assume as long as you weren't in the bottom 20th percentile on PRITE you should absolutely pass boards?

I'm sitting here with 80% correct in Beat the boards, having scored 75-80th percentile on PRITE, still worried I'm going to be the 10% that fails.

I dont know why this didn't click sooner. You're right in that 90% pass.

Is it sound logic to assume as long as you weren't in the bottom 20th percentile on PRITE you should absolutely pass boards?

I'm sitting here with 80% correct in Beat the boards, having scored 75-80th percentile on PRITE, still worried I'm going to be the 10% that fails.

I mean not definitely because you can assume a lot of people study none for PRITEs and then go study a Qbank or something for actual boards but if you're already scoring 60th percentile without studying much for PRITEs and you put at least some effort into studying for the actual exam you're probably ending up somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Just did the 4th Spiegel and ended up in the 68% score range.

FML this might be close on tuesday. Ooof...

All this PRITE talk made me go back and look things up. Last PRITE, I was like 35% for adult and 70% for child. Hahaha.

I got curious so I looked things up. In 2020 (PGY2) I was 46% and in 2021 (PGY3) I was 56%.

A full year of Child training got to me hahaha!

Anddd back to studying.

Edit: Same score on 5th spiegel. Welp. Atleast I'm consistent?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm scoring about the same on Spiegel it sounds like. I'm 90% done with BTB with a 79% accuracy.

Spiegel 1 is 79%, 2 was 70% (78 if removing neuro), 3 was 70% (79% removing neuro). I may do Spiegel 4 on Sunday, but I may just look through my weakest categories and do the rest of my Spiegel category and BTB questions/some repeats on those spots.

I did Spiegel 4 yesterday and got 72%. It felt neuro-heavy with obscure diseases. I'll try to do Spiegel 5 today. I have a few more vignettes to complete that I will do before the board exam. I also plan to read over the weaker areas.

I tried BTB Qs and avg 74% on 30% of the questions. I listened to a few videos in my weaker area and then downloaded the pdf to look at stuff. Even listening at 2x was too slow for me. The questions seemed super easy with occasional difficulty.

We should all do great based on my friends who have taken.

Some of these Spiegel vignettes are pretty difficult...

I'm hoping Spiegel is harder than the exam!

Reactions: 2 users