Board exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrandom2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So glad that is over with... but i have to say there were some questions out of left field... now the wait begins

Members don't see this ad.

Have to admit, the old SAE's did help quite a bit.

I'm also just glad it's over. :thumbup:

The afternoon session seemed harder than the morning. Anyway, I am not sure for how long is the wait before getting to know our results. It is very annoying sitting down for so many board tests. Oh by the way, I had to blow more than 600 dollars on an airfare ticket to go sit down for this test because it was booked at the testing facility close to where I work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spoke with Kevin from ABPMR, and, if I understood him correctly, it takes anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks to obtain results. Apparently, question results are reviewed and some are thrown out and then a curve is created. Pass/Fail is not based on raw score but is actually determined by percentile. So you have to score above a certain percentile to pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure of what the exact percentile would be, in looking at their pass/fail stats for first time takers they report a 10% fail rate... perhaps they chop off the bottom 10% and call it a day.

Personally I'm gonna load up on Pepto for the next 3 - 5 weeks :barf:

I agree the second part seemed harder... a lot more blank stares for sure.

Not sure of what the exact percentile would be, in looking at their pass/fail stats for first time takers they report a 10% fail rate... perhaps they chop off the bottom 10% and call it a day.

Looking at the past 7 years, the written boards pass rate for ALL takers ranges from 75-79%. First timers 87-90%. Repeaters 21-36%.

Despite appearances however, passing the boards is not based on percentiles. You are not scored in direct comparison to your peers in a given year. This is a medical knowledge competency test. If you meet a certain criterion/standard, you pass. AFAIK – there is not a different standard for first timers vs. repeaters.

This criterion aka pass/fail score aka “cut score” is determined through a convoluted process known as a standard-setting study, where a “panel of experts” (in this case – the ABPMR) review a wide selection of previous board questions along with data regarding what percentage of prior test takers answered each question correctly. For each question they try to determine the overall difficulty of that question, and whether or not a hypothetical borderline candidate would reasonably be expected to know that particular piece of information. Basically, they're trying to figure out what score, what amount of knowledge a marginal candidate should display in order to barely pass.

After reviewing these questions, a cut score is established. Based on that score, subsequent exams are scaled using statistical equating. This process is used for pretty much every standardized test any of us have taken/will ever take – SAT, MCAT, USMLE, COMLEX, MOC, etc. So while it is true that passing isn’t directly based on a raw score, it isn’t based on percentiles or graded on a curve either.

Anyone know how are the scores actually released, mail? or electronically?

Anyone know how are the scores actually released, mail? or electronically?

Official scores/percentiles are sent via snail mail, usually by about 6 weeks. You can also find out if you passed/failed by logging on to your candidate home page on the ABPMR website around that time.

I imagine you guys should be logging on neurotically on a daily basis starting next week. :smuggrin:

I found my PASS online on 10/1, so you guys probably still have some time...

If you've been waiting and haven't done so yet, check you e-mails/ABPMR site now.

I hope you find a pleasant result :D

does anyone have any "used" review course material they would like to sell?

Don't know if this has been discussed on this forum before or not, but what are the current Step 1 scores for the average PM&R residency spot? And how about for the competitive residency spots?

Gearing up to take the exam this upcoming spring and I'm just curious, thanks.

Don't know if this has been discussed on this forum before or not, but what are the current Step 1 scores for the average PM&R residency spot? And how about for the competitive residency spots?

Gearing up to take the exam this upcoming spring and I'm just curious, thanks.

Although we’re discussing the PM&R certification boards here, to answer your question the average USMLE Step 1 score for US seniors who matched into PM&R in 2009 was 214. This info is publically available from the NRMP website (Charting Outcomes).

What’s the average score for those who went to top tier programs? Probably higher.