Body... art?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teatime

UC Davis c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question to ask...but here's to a little lighter conversation.

Does anyone here have piercings or tattoos (facial or other noticeable)? I have my nose pierced and am considering getting a tattoo that wouldn't be too easy to cover up (on my wrist). I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts in terms of how professional this will look when applying or later when practicing. Do you think this will be a turn off to admissions or potential clients later on?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the tatoo. If it's something pretty or personal that has special meaning to you, then I don't think it affects your professionalism. If it's something overtly offensive then clients might not appreciate it. I think that professionalism is 90% attitude, anyways, and that style of dress or tattoos and piercings matter much less. If you treat your clients and colleagues with respect and care, they'll notice that way more than they would any piercing you might have.

Gotta disagree. The piercing might fly with older clients, but visible tats will not. If you can build a practice on only people in maybe their thirties or younger, go for it. But people, say, may parents age (early 50's) don't see them as a cool body mod that expresses individuality. They see them as something "bad" people get. Or at least people who don't have the same responsibilities. My father might use a car mechanic with visible tattoos, but not a lawyer, or Doctor, or RE agent.

There are a lot of conservative people out there who won't like their vet having a tat- much like there are people who don't want their vet to have pink hair. So unless you want to have to wrap it in some sort of bandage every day, I recommend getting it somewhere that doesn't show while dressed in work appropriate clothes.

Sucks, but so do people.

-j.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a couple facial piercings - tongue, lip, nostrils, medusa, septum and stretched ears. I also have three nape piercings. All of them are visible at work, except the tongue's not really obvious, and I keep the septum piercing flipped up. I wear tiny gemstones in the others so they're not too "in your face."

I also have a full sleeve that shows at work.

I've never gotten a negative comment about any of them. I've always tried to be twice as good at my job as those around me so people have nothing to complain about. I figure if a client has a negative experience, they might associate it with the modifications, but if they have a positive experience, even if the tattoos and piercings aren't to their liking, they're more likely to write it off as an eccentricity, and look past it.

I've been to vets before that have visible tattoos, and it hasn't seemed to be a problem for them. I do plan on wearing long sleeves and removing the facial piercings for any interviews, though.

It may also depend on where you work. Something that might not detract too much from the client's initial opinion in NYC, SFO, LA, PDX, etc, might not go over as well in bfe, or a LA practice. Academics are all pretty weird anyway, so it may make no difference there.

I think (though I could be wrong) that we tend to be a rather modern, somewhat liberal group, when it comes to personal appearance, here on SDN. You might want to ask vets about this- some with and some without tats/ piercings. And ask a selection of real live people. Different age groups and whatnot.

You might find, like I seem to have, that to older or more conservative people will see visible tat's/ piercings as evidence of poor judgment, and be less likely to trust your skills/ diagnosis. Alternately, they could see vets as mechanics for animals, in which case you've got a whole different batch of problems.

Ultimately, though, it's up to you.

-j.

I think if you get a small tattoo on your wrist it would be fine. If it isn't anything too distracting I don't think it would be anything considered "unprofessional". I wouldn't worry about the nose piercing as long as you have a classy stud in it. I think this is a great post...it's very interesting because many of us are getting information about our dress codes and I'm sure many of us have piercings and/or tats. On that note, it might be worth it to look at dress codes at the various schools to which you want to apply...see how your piercing/possible tat will gel with the rules.

Academics are all pretty weird anyway, so it may make no difference there.

My kaleidoscope of abnormal hair colors over the last year has actually garnered me compliments from people in academia here in the vet school. :love:

I'll still have to make it a normal color for interviews if I get any though. :(

Gotta disagree. The piercing might fly with older clients, but visible tats will not. If you can build a practice on only people in maybe their thirties or younger, go for it. But people, say, may parents age (early 50's) don't see them as a cool body mod that expresses individuality. They see them as something "bad" people get. Or at least people who don't have the same responsibilities. My father might use a car mechanic with visible tattoos, but not a lawyer, or Doctor, or RE agent.

There are a lot of conservative people out there who won't like their vet having a tat- much like there are people who don't want their vet to have pink hair. So unless you want to have to wrap it in some sort of bandage every day, I recommend getting it somewhere that doesn't show while dressed in work appropriate clothes.

Sucks, but so do people. -j.

Agreed, seeing as most people on this board are younger (20s, 30s) they are more accepting of body art, but like J said most of your clients are not in that age bracket.

People in academia are custom to working with students, hence the fact that they are also more understanding of body art.

I made a stupid decision to get two meaningless tattoos when I was 17, needless to say I am going through A LOT to get them removed. Seriously, I think people need to put an enormous amount of energy into deciding whether or not the tattoo they want is something they will want in 35 years, especially when it is all faded. It seems “cool” at the time but really think hard about it.

If you decide that you absolutely want the tattoo I would recommend going somewhere that uses that ink that can be removed in one laser treatment opposed to 12 treatments!! The Tatoo ink will look the same but it leaves you with the option of removal.

I have my ears double pierced and a tattoo on my hip. I also go with the idea that tattoos should probably be in a place where you can't see them, but it does depend on the practice. I guess it is chalked up to the "professionalism" thing. To the OP, if you decide to get one on your wrist, try to put it in a place where a watch or bracelets would cover it (I have a few friends that have those). I would hate to be judged by a client before I even open my mouth, but unfortunately that's how society is. Only my mom knows about mine and my dad and grandparents would disapprove. My dad is constantly making comments about tattoos being tacky and stupid, all the while my mom and I are sitting there blank-faced. :rolleyes:

Tsujc, have you seen people get flack for this sort of thing at TAMU? Or is it part of MSU's dresscode?

I personally chose to keep my tattoos in places that are easily hidden just to avoid that very problem. I don't think a wrist tattoo is a big deal if it's small and tasteful. But if you are like certain family members of mine who have full sleeves and tattoos on 2/3 of their body, then I'd anticipate wearing a lot of long sleeve shirts in practice.

Thanks for the feedback. I would never get rid of my nose piercing no matter what. I'm Indian and part of the reason I got it is because of my heritage. I also think it's looks pretty damn cool. As far as the tat, I'm not committed to getting on my wrist, and have definitely thought of getting it on a body part I could cover up. However, it would be really small and I feel like most of the time it would be covered up by gloves anyway.

This is definitely something I will have to think about.

Tsujc, have you seen people get flack for this sort of thing at TAMU? Or is it part of MSU's dresscode?

TAMU has a pretty relaxed dress code. The dress code basically states that “students should be attired in neat, professional clothing” but it doesn’t actually prohibit piercings or tattoos. Many TAMU students have visible body art, this year I had a lot of students with tattoos and piercings. One guy in particular had tattoos up and down his arms, not quite sleeves but close enough. Really it is up to the clinician / instructor to decide whether or not the student looks appropriate. Instructors are authorized to dismiss a student from the lab or clinic if they feel that the student is in violation of the professional dress requirement.

Just last week a friend of mine took her horse to the TAMU LA hospital, the 4th year that was assisting with the case had a tongue piercing. When we were talking with the girl the bar was soooo distracting and it really disrupted her speech! I personally don’t mind body art but this was really unprofessional.

As for MSU I know that visible body piercings other than ears are not acceptable and excessive visible tattooing is not acceptable. I am not sure what they consider “excessive” though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan State University came to our school to give an application presentation. The admissions person was pretty adamant about not having any obvious piercings or tatoos, weird hair colors, or anything else that clients would stereotype you by. She went into this whole story about a really good vet who some of the older clients wouldn't trust solely because of his appearance. She pretty much gave me the impression that MSU would not accept you with tatoos/piercings. But I guess it is up to you...

Ugh, I dunno I can't imagine making decisions about my body (art modifications or otherwise) based on what someone else might think. I love tattoos and piercings and I have had 3 tattoos planned for years, since I was little, i'm just looking for the right artist. I understand that some people might not like it but they can go somewhere else then. And everyone is so worried about what the older generation will think, but they aren't going to be around forever, and for that matter, neither will we. I'd much rather do what I want to do then worry about what some older clients will think about me.

I think the biggest decision about the tattoo would be whether you're sure you want it forever, rather than whether it will affect you professionally. Although, I agree that your career should be a consideration. I'm planning on getting a tattoo soon (aka when I get the guts...I've wanted it for a few years now and I said I'd get it if I got into vet school!), but I'm definitely getting it in a place that's easily covered up. Honestly, I don't think the wrist is such a bad idea, especially if the design is small, like you said. If it were me, I would probably just have it positioned so that it could be covered by a watch. I know a few people who have done that, and it works out well. Also, I can't think of a vet I've worked with who doesn't wear a watch for checking pulse, respiration rates, etc. That way, if you're worried about being judged, you can cover it up very discreetly.

I have piercings, all in my ears...I have 6 right now, but you can't notice them. I think if you get a wrist tattoo, thats fine- but I would be cautious as to what you would get.... probably not a good idea to get daggars, and skulls, or evil demons.

I think wrist tattoos (depending on what they are) can be quite elgant!

Michigan State University came to our school to give an application presentation. The admissions person was pretty adamant about not having any obvious piercings or tatoos, weird hair colors, or anything else that clients would stereotype you by. She went into this whole story about a really good vet who some of the older clients wouldn't trust solely because of his appearance. She pretty much gave me the impression that MSU would not accept you with tatoos/piercings. But I guess it is up to you...

I think that's funny, considering that almost 100% of MSU's Class of 2013 was accepted without ever seeing any of the candidates. For all Michigan knows, every student could have been covered from head to toe in ink and piercings and had bright orange hair, and they wouldn't have found out until the Welcome Day.

I say to get it if you really want it. I have 2 tattoos, but neither are in a place that would be seen in professional attire. I just never wanted a tattoo on my wrist because I'm lame and think about a possible wedding day in the future, and can't imagine having ink on my wrist in a wedding gown. So my reservations aren't related to vet med, but more of my personal life. Do it if it'll really make you happy!

I have seven tattoos right now, all of which can be covered when I'm in scrubs. The one on my left arm peeks out just a bit, but most people at my current job didn't even know I had one there until a couple of months ago (I've worked there since September). I do plan on getting a few more tattoos, but all in places that are easily covered. It's very unfortunate, but it's true that people will judge you and your ability.

As for piercings, I currently only have eight (2 are in each ear). At one time I had over 20, including 7 in my face (2 eyebrow, 2 nose, 2 lip, labret). However, in my experience, those are frowned upon much more than the tattoos, especially when you have multiple facial piercings! So they all came out (including my tongue piercing) a couple of years ago, when I made the switch to pre-vet and started looking for experience. I went to the vet who takes care of my kitties, and even though she knew that I was a good person, she said I would have to take them out because of the clients. If it weren't for how the general public views these things, I'd still at least have my lip rings... loved those!

It's easy to say you don't care what others think, I used to say that, too. But the fact is that you're entering a profession that deals heavily with other professionals and the general public, so you have to care what others think. And trust me, it is not just the older generation. I've met plenty of younger people who find it disgusting as well.

I think it's unfair for people to judge others based on looks alone but unfortunately it happens all the time and you have to be sensitive to that if you're headed into a field that will interact heavily with the public. And when you're a health professional there are certain expectations on how you should present yourself. I would love to show up with purple or fuschia streaks through my hair but I feel that many clients would take me less seriously if I did. The same applies to facial piercings and visible tattoos. As a new graduate and a female I'll already have to work extra hard to gain the respect of certain types of people, why make it even harder on myself. That said I'm also not going to be someone I'm not, I'm just going to make sure I can tone it down in a professional environment. And from a safety stand point, facial tattoos and a flailing dog whose claws can catch on things = :eek:

I have a tattoo I have in mind that I will probably get before I start school but I plan on putting it in a place that is easy to cover, there's something fun about tattoos that not everyone knows about.

I think I will have to agree with the general consensus here. I have a tattoo, and plan to get a few more down the road, possibly even a rather large back piece as part of my graduation present to myself. Each has a very special and personal meaning to me. But, in our chosen profession we are expected to be what we are, doctors. That means that there has to be a certain, even if it is an illusion, a certain presence, and a professionalism. We in many ways are expected to be even "better" than the general public. That extends to our appearance as well. I think there is nothing wrong with having body art of whatever type. But, in the clinic we need to be able to cover it up or take it out. Right or wrong there will always be those who do not approve of it, and yes they will make snap decisions based on first impressions. So, by all means get that tattoo or piercing, but do so in a place that will never be visible with scrubs on. Body art is a personal thing, and does not need to be seen by everyone all the time. Unfortunately that is the reality of the world we live in, and that is not about to change.

I understand not wanting to deal with the possible discrimination that accompanies visible body art. A lot of the reasoning used in this thread is "the older generation feels x way, so we should do it their way." If people used that line of logic, vet med would still be mostly male - I mean, all those women who were some of the first vets must've not been taken as seriously by the old timers as men were.

I might have a slightly skewed view on this, since I worked as a body piercer for years, and I've always tried to be an "ambassador" for the modified. A lot of the perceived discrimination against body art is just that - perceived. In the years that I've been publicly, visibly modified, I've maybe had two negative reactions. The oldest person I've pierced was in her 70's, and at one of the tattoo studios I worked at, our clientele was usually in their mid 30's - 60's. Until you've worked at a studio, you really don't get a clear picture of just how many people are modified under their clothes, and how open they really are. Our studio catered to more of an upper class group, and most of our clients were doctors, lawyers, police, engineers, and other professionals.

Currently, I'm working at a vet's office, and I have a boss who is 100% ok with my tattoos and piercings showing. Clients see me, I'm not hidden in the back room. And you know what? It hasn't lost her any business. One of her associates a few years ago had a visible tattoo - and had a giant clientele that was extremely dedicated to her.

As a vet, you're going to lose clients for all sorts of bizarre reasons. Clients will leave because you baby-talked their dog, or didn't baby-talk their dog. They'll leave because you pointed out an ear infection that should have been obvious weeks ago. They'll leave because the receptionist didn't pull you out of surgery so the doctor could personally tell them something that the receptionist could have. You can't worry about those clients. You need to worry about your core group - the clients who would follow you anywhere, who glowingly refer their friends to you. You need to build your own niche - and if the niche you want to build includes people who might judge you based off of prejudice, then cater to them. However, if you don't cater to them, you can find your own niche as long as you're competent, compassionate and have a good head on your shoulders. Sometimes being who you are and losing a client is more important than the extra money they would contribute to your practice.

Of course, that whole rant only really applies if you own your own clinic. If you don't want to run your own business, and make those decisions for yourself, then you have no choice but to follow the practice culture enforced by the owner. I've done that before too. If it was between my visible modifications, and vet school, or a residency I wanted, or a dream job, you bet I'd blend in. Piercings can be removed. My tattoos are all easily covered under 3/4 sleeves. You have to decide what aspects of life are most important to you.

i have six tattoos and seven piercings. Three of my tattoos are visible when i have a t-shirt on, one of which is on my wrist..i think that as long as it's no bigger than an inch or so you should be fine..you could always wear a watch over it. I wore a long sleeve shirt to my interview and everything was fine..they accepted me :) Mizzou CVM class of 2013!! also, for piercings, i have six in my ears and then i have my lip pierced. I just took my lip stud out for my interview and will more than likely not have it in when i practice, so i would suggest doing the same if you get your nose pierced. tatts and piercings are the way to go if thats what you want to do..dont let being a DVM stop you from expressing yourself :)

I understand not wanting to deal with the possible discrimination that accompanies visible body art. A lot of the reasoning used in this thread is "the older generation feels x way, so we should do it their way." If people used that line of logic, vet med would still be mostly male - I mean, all those women who were some of the first vets must've not been taken as seriously by the old timers as men were.

*applause*

Yep.

I agree completely, and yes I probably will end up catering to a higher end clientèle than some, and a more judgmental one -- although probably not much older than myself in reality. But, my point is why limit yourself for the rest of your life just to make a statement today that may well not be all that important to you 20 years hence? I know I know, and yes society does need to change. We all have a responsibility to do our part to be a part of that change. Look, does having big holes in your ears (gaging I believe?) or a picture of a dragon on your hand have anything to do with your skills as a surgeon or diagnostician? Absolutely not! But there will always be those who feel it does, no matter how wrong that is. Sorry, but the client is ALWAYS right, in their mind. Is having that nose ring really worth losing say $20,000.00 a year for the next 30 years? That is $600,000.00 in lost income just to have that cool tattoo on your wrist today. These are extreme examples, and yes I know that I am overexaggerating things, but still, this is the way things work. :mad:

Look trocar, I myself have tattoos, and my ears were pierced twice, although I have not worn an earring in almost 10 years. But, after spending a little time out in the real world, I have learned through experience to keep most of my personal statements, well personal. Maybe not enough of my personal opinions to myself :laugh:, but I do realize the need to be able to walk into a boardroom with a suit on and fit in without standing out. It is wrong, but there are more people than not out there who will not let you near their beloved pet if you do not look like a doctor, or their own skewed perception of what a vet is supposed to look like. I like tattoos, I have them. I think it is cool to have a pink streak in your hair. But, when the time comes, you need to be able to hide any evidence of your personal modifications if need be. The color has to be able to be washed out. That is just the way the real world works.

Also, these are just my opinions. You are right, people will make a lot of crazy decisions about their vets for absolutely no reason whatsoever. But, why go out of your way to make things harder for yourself. Unfortunately going into the field we love more than anything sometimes means we have to make unfair sacrifices, ones that really should not matter. Nor am I lecturing anyone. I am simply being the voice of caution. Those first female vets had to be just that much better than the men to be equally successful. Twenty years from now a visible tattoo probably will not matter. But for our generation it does. If none of this matters to you, then go for it. I actually applaud you for doing so, and would not have the least bit of a problem with having a human doctor with a wrist tattoo work on me, if they are the best candidate for the job. :)

But, after spending a little time out in the real world, I have learned through experience to keep most of my personal statements, well personal. Maybe not enough of my personal opinions to myself :laugh:, but I do realize the need to be able to walk into a boardroom with a suit on and fit in without standing out.

I do understand the whole "there is a time and place" thing. When I worked as a funeral director, I had more piercings than I do now, and just as many tattoos - but everything was well hidden under a super-conservative suit. I've always been able to blend in when necessary.

Look, does having big holes in your ears (gaging I believe?)

Eek, no! A gauge is a unit of measurement! It is not a piece of jewelry (you do not wear "gauges"), it is not a noun (you do not gauge your ears unless you're measuring them). You stretch your ears. You wear plugs, or tunnels, or rings. Sorry, random pet peeve of mine. Its up there with people pronouncing "labret" like they would pronounce "ballet." I don't know where they got the idea that the "t" was silent.

You are right, people will make a lot of crazy decisions about their vets for absolutely no reason whatsoever. But, why go out of your way to make things harder for yourself.

Some of us have a natural aversion towards the easy path. :laugh:

Unfortunately going into the field we love more than anything sometimes means we have to make unfair sacrifices, ones that really should not matter. Nor am I lecturing anyone. I am simply being the voice of caution.

And that caution is warranted, and something to think long and hard about. I posted my rant, not to say "f*** it, throw caution to the wind, practice with dreadlocks and stompy boots and facial tattoos" but to point out that you can't make every decision in your life based off of the fear of the what ifs.

Those first female vets had to be just that much better than the men to be equally successful. Twenty years from now a visible tattoo probably will not matter. But for our generation it does.

And who do you think is going to pave the way for it being ok for the next generation? Taboos only get broken if people actually break them.

Totally agree with everything you said, and sorry about the stretching the ears mistake, shows my lack of education with the current pop/alternative music culture! :p I am an old school metalhead (think Metallica/Motorhead, not punk metal). I do have some rather unique facial hair presently, but nothing that a razor will not fix when the time comes.

BTW, I worked with a vet with dreads, and she was one of the most awesome practitioners -- a DVM and PhD in my chosen field of interest. A great person too. But, I also watched her basically be run out of the clinic, not by the owners at all, but by the clients who simply refused to use her, even though she was far more educated than anyone else practicing. She could not make enough money to be able to stay. I think she is working at an exotics specialty clinic now -- I think those clients are more forgiving of "different" appearances than the narrow minded souls who patronize the clinic I work at.

Cheers to you for sticking by your convictions.:thumbup:

Totally agree with everything you said, and sorry about the stretching the ears mistake, shows my lack of education with the current pop/alternative music culture!

Its nothing that needs to be apologized for. I think its become so common now, that colloquially, its considered a correct term, its just like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I am an old school metalhead (think Metallica/Motorhead, not punk metal).

I'm more of a Dimmu Borgir type of metalhead. :) Yay metal!

BTW, I worked with a vet with dreads, and she was one of the most awesome practitioners -- a DVM and PhD in my chosen field of interest. A great person too. But, I also watched her basically be run out of the clinic, not by the owners at all, but by the clients who simply refused to use her, even though she was far more educated than anyone else practicing.

I love dreads. I think if done well, they're beautiful. I think it would be way harder to pull them off and still look professional, than it would be to pull off body modifications and still look professional. There's this stereotype surrounding dreadlocks that they can't be washed, that only "dirty hippies" wear them. You could be wearing an armani suit with dreads, and still get clumped into the "dirty hippie" category.

I dropped a Dimmu Borgir reference on the second page of this thread... :D Does it still count if I've been listening to ABBA lately? Before my iPod broke? :(

I have four man-made holes, two in each ear, and absolutely no desire for more. I'd like a tattoo someday perhaps... still clinging to an idea I fell in love with years ago, or I might just get a cat. Lol. I hate needles (coming at my own skin) but I love customization (stickers, colors, personalized license plate, profiles, you name it) so we'll see. I will probably opt for something easily hidden, and if not, then something that no one will think twice about. A vet with a small but visible cat tattoo? Who cares?

I have pawprints following a path across my upper back on my left shoulder blade, and have gotten numerous compliments from (older) bosses and professors on it....but it is still very easily covered as long as I'm not wearing a tang top.

Am considering getting a veterinary caduceus symbol tattoo this summer, but not sure where...perhaps my ankle...

I have pawprints following a path across my upper back on my left shoulder blade, and have gotten numerous compliments from (older) bosses and professors on it....but it is still very easily covered as long as I'm not wearing a tang top.

Am considering getting a veterinary caduceus symbol tattoo this summer, but not sure where...perhaps my ankle...

My first tattoo was the pawprint the clinic took of my beloved Tara Sue when she passed. It is over my heart -- and yes I was dorky enough to make the guy put it in its anatomically correct position. :p I like the idea of the caduceus as well. Hmm, so many choices... I will probably go traditional Japanese for my next one.

I'm getting that done on my lower back ("tramp stamp" :p style). I've always wanted a tattoo and it had to be something meaningful so I told myself years ago that when I graduated vet school I would get this. I'm impatient so I figure I'm ok getting it now that I've been accepted.

I did not know that. My bad, and yes the rod with single snake and no wings is what I was thinking of.

Last edited:
I don't mind what you choose to call it (though you'll never catch me calling it a caduceus) but make sure, if you're getting a permanent piece of art, that you give one snake vs. two and wings vs. no wings due thought. I'm sure everyone would get the idea either way, though.

I have seen a Vet student with the veterinary medicine tramp stamp before, thought it was kind of ridiculous honestly, a respected symbol like that as a "tramp stamp".

It's really only a "tramp stamp" if you choose to think of it in that way. The lower back is a great place for a tattoo. I have one there, one that has a lot of meaning for me. But I am not a tramp, and do not believe the meaning is sullied by the placement.

One of the tattoos I am having removed is a "tramp stamp". It is large and very visible when I am doing any sort of work (bending down to close a kennel door, sitting at a desk). I liked it for about 4 years but eventually I got sick of having to constantly tug at my shirt or tuck it in to make sure that employers and clients didn’t see it.

I finally had enough about 2 years ago. I was working as a preschool teacher part-time and while I was passing out snack I dropped a napkin, I bent over to pick it up and all my little 4 year olds starting asking why I had drawings on my back?! I know most of you will put more thought into your tattoos than I did at age 17 but there is definitely a stigma associated with tattoos on your lower back. I have had plenty of comments made about mine.

I always liked referring to the "tribal" lower back pieces as ass antlers.

LOL! I like that one.

Okay, so I know a girl that has your standard tramp stamp/ass antler, and... she's not promiscuous at all! Imagine that! :)

I think we know we're generalizing, so no one should take it personally. It's just... funny! ;)

The lower back is a great place for a tattoo.

I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything, but... why is it a great place?

I know that there are more reasons to get a tattoo then just looking at them (they can have meanings), but if it's on your lower back then you can't see it, and most other people can't see it either.

Except for when you bend over... then people are going to see it.

It doesn't distort as much until you pack on serious weight, or if you spawn- unlike the man version, way low on the belly...

I'd assume it also doesn't sag as bad as shoulder or arm skin.

-j.

eta- that was, doesn't distort if you spawn (reproduce, clone, whatever), not does

Last edited:
no wings? NO WINGS!?

i don't like it.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it.... something like this isn't so bad.

You have my permission to go forward :)

just be aware that there's no turning back.

I have no intention of putting it on my back(side). Fear not I shall go with the forward approach. :laugh: Sorry it struck me as funny and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to comment. Yes that design is what I was thinking of, from the AVMA logo.

I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything, but... why is it a great place?

I know that there are more reasons to get a tattoo then just looking at them (they can have meanings), but if it's on your lower back then you can't see it, and most other people can't see it either.

Except for when you bend over... then people are going to see it.

I guess I should say that it's a great place for oblong shaped tattoos. The shape of my tattoo (which is not a tribal piece, by the way) fits perfectly across that area. It's also a great place for symmetrical tattoos, because they can be centered. Also, as someone else mentioned, it's one of the few places where a tattoo will not fade as easily or become distorted by weight gain/pregnancy/aging. And maybe I'm misunderstanding where "tramp stamps" are placed, but you cannot see mine when I bend over. It is 2-3 inches above my jeans. Maybe if I were wearing a tiny shirt... but I don't own any of those :p

I love lower back tattoos, I think they look elegant and I call it a "tramp stamp" jokingly because that's what they're referred to around here. Sorry if it came across as offensive to anyone. The other great thing is that if you need to be conservative in appearance it's a really easy place to cover. To me a tattoo isn't about showing it off to the world, it's more about finding something meaningful that you want to permanently represent on yourself. That's why I've waited so long to get one, I figure if it's something I want consistently for years then I probably won't regret getting it or get sick of it.