BOLC after First Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studocplsignore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,

I was hoping to do my BOLC training for the National Guard sometime this summer, but due to medical waiver issues (which thankfully have ended), I will likely be boarded in September. I have looked at some different dates and time periods (3 weeks), and I'm trying to see what times I would be able to do it. Would I have to do it before Boards (I'd like to avoid that)? Would I have to give up a clinical rotation to do it? Can I do it in residency?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You have two years from your date of commission to attend, but it can be extended to 36 months. They used to let it get pushed back further if needed but have become more resistant to such shenanigans as the need for med students declines.

Phase I, an 80+ hr online course, needs to be completed before you can register for Phase II. Do it ASAP. You can find a list of phase ii dates for this fiscal year and hopefully next year in ATRRS on AKO. Your unit needs to help you get into the course.

Ideally, you go during a gap in school that is not a board studying period. If necessary, you can negotiate with your school for a few weeks off to attend phase ii. Some even convince their school to give elective credit for the course. Pushing it out to just after med school graduation may work depending on the dates and length of time from your commission, but if it doesn't work for some reason you will be required to leave residency for a month to get the course done.