BOLC DL: A cautionary tale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up for those who have to do the BOLC distance learning/online training prior to BOLC.

You have 1 year to complete it all before it expires and you have to do it all again.

Being all hooah I signed up to do it just after I commissioned thinking I would be on the first plane to BOLC. Well 1.5 years later (thanks to COVID deployments and riots), I still haven't gotten a slot to even go to DCC. Completed around 40% before it expired so I have to do it all again.

I was under the impression that you had to complete the DL BOLC within a year of in person BOLC for it to be valid. I've talked to several folks and this might not be true - they say they as long as you have the complete certificates in hand, no one at BOLC seems to care when it was done. Of course this might be class/instructor dependent so caveat emporium.

So my lesson is either wait until you have a BOLC date before starting online BOLC; or do it all within a year if you feel like a risk taker.

Stay safe out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a heads up for those who have to do the BOLC distance learning/online training prior to BOLC.

You have 1 year to complete it all before it expires and you have to do it all again.

Being all hooah I signed up to do it just after I commissioned thinking I would be on the first plane to BOLC. Well 1.5 years later (thanks to COVID deployments and riots), I still haven't gotten a slot to even go to DCC. Completed around 40% before it expired so I have to do it all again.

I was under the impression that you had to complete the DL BOLC within a year of in person BOLC for it to be valid. I've talked to several folks and this might not be true - they say they as long as you have the complete certificates in hand, no one at BOLC seems to care when it was done. Of course this might be class/instructor dependent so caveat emporium.

So my lesson is either wait until you have a BOLC date before starting online BOLC; or do it all within a year if you feel like a risk taker.

Stay safe out there!

Unless something has changed the school house at BOLC doesn't seem to care when BOLC phase 1 was completed, just as long as you have a certificate of completion in hand when you in process.

Reactions: 1 user