Medical Book Chapter Authorship Question - Residency Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m an M3, starting to think about residency applications next year, and I have a question regarding a textbook chapter I helped write for my research advisor while in undergrad. There is no explicit authorship noted in the book or online like I would typically think of for a book chapter, but they have a picture of me and my co-author in the acknowledgments section of the book with a paragraph that says “chapter ** is taken almost directly from co-author’s name and my name’s research paper entitled *title of the chapter* and has been modified to fit the formatting of this book”. I put a ton of work into writing the chapter and helping prepare the book, so I’m hoping to list this in some way on ERAS, but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know acknowledgments don’t count as authorship, but is this something that can be listed as a publication on ERAS?

Thanks for your help!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is technically qualifying for authorship, which begs the earlier question why you couldn't be listed as an author for the chapter. "Formatting" is a pretty lame excuse IMO. Granted, this is a book chapter and not a peer-reviewed paper, where the standards are more rigorous in enforcing authorship policies, so it's ultimately not a big deal, but I guess I need to understand your institution's policy on authorship for book chapters better.

Oh yes, of course. I'll be sure to be upfront if asked about it during interviews. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to list it on ERAS. Would you recommend citing it like any other publication on ERAS and having my research advisor as the first author?

I would.

Hello,
I’m an M3, starting to think about residency applications next year, and I have a question regarding a textbook chapter I helped write for my research advisor while in undergrad. There is no explicit authorship noted in the book or online like I would typically think of for a book chapter, but they have a picture of me and my co-author in the acknowledgments section of the book with a paragraph that says “chapter ** is taken almost directly from co-author’s name and my name’s research paper entitled *title of the chapter* and has been modified to fit the formatting of this book”. I put a ton of work into writing the chapter and helping prepare the book, so I’m hoping to list this in some way on ERAS but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know acknowledgments don’t count as authorship, but is this something that can be listed as a publication on ERAS?

Thanks for your help!

Yes it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.