Book for Labs/Orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakstat33

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told there is a great book for lab intrepretation (blue cover?) and another for Admit Orders on different diagnoses. Does anybody know the titles/authors of these?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told there is a great book for lab intrepretation (blue cover?) and another for Admit Orders on different diagnoses. Does anybody know the titles/authors of these?

Lab book (with blue cover): probably Bakerman's ABCs of Interpretive Laboratory Data. Personally I don't like it much. I like Widman's Clinical Interpretation of Laboratory Tests (also a blue cover). It teaches the rationale behind the labs and the results and is not simply a catalog of diseases if a value is high or low.

For admit orders, the best book I've found is Family Medicine - Current Clinical Strategies. It's a catalog of common hospital admissions with sample admit orders. Another book I've been using lately is Instant Access-Hospital Admissions (Lange). Both of these books have PDA versions so you don't have to carry the books around, although they're both pocket-sized.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, about the authors:

- Bakerman's = Bakerman and Strausbauch
- Widman's = Donald Sacher and Richard McPherson
- Family Medicine = Paul Chen, Christopher Winkle, Peter Winkle
- Hospital Admissions = Anil Patel