Book recommendations for a non-psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychma

Reaction score
To be clear, I am not looking to suggest medications to clients or psychiatrists. I have never done that. Most of my clients are on several medications and I would like to better understand how they work out of my own personal interest. My first masters was in molecular biology and I took neuropharmacology 25 years ago. It’s been awhile. I’m looking for something that provides the basics, has some illustrations, and talks about mechanisms of action. I’d like to get into some detail. Is there a good book you can suggest? I’ve gotten some basic books from Amazon but they don’t have the science I’m looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

To be clear, I am not looking to suggest medications to clients or psychiatrists. I have never done that. Most of my clients are on several medications and I would like to better understand how they work out of my own personal interest. My first masters was in molecular biology and I took neuropharmacology 25 years ago. It’s been awhile. I’m looking for something that provides the basics, has some illustrations, and talks about mechanisms of action. I’d like to get into some detail. Is there a good book you can suggest? I’ve gotten some basic books from Amazon but they don’t have the science I’m looking for.
What's your profession?

I don't really go into detail with patients about receptors. Its a waste of time.
And ultimately the receptor pathways only represent so much.
I usually cut to the chase and tell patients, "we don't know" exactly how they work.
We both shrug and move on to more meaningful discussions.
It'll be largely a waste of your time, too. Focus on enhancing the therapy modalities you already learned or investigating another at adjunct your repertoire.

Focusing on neuro or pharm is like wasting precious time quoting poetry to your generals and officers beside you, when the emphasis should be on implementing your troop order movements as the mounted Mongolian hoard is cresting the hill and charging straight at you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like reading these kinds of things in my spare time. It’s knowledge for me, not to share with clients. I’ve read several of my husband’s medical textbooks. I Don’t give medical advice nor do I know enough to be anything but dangerous.

It’s all good. My vacation is over and I’m back to work. I’ll see what I can find.

This one is pretty popular:

Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific Basis and Practical Applications https://a.co/d/dXCSRUU

It’s how I started my interest in medical school.

Reactions: 2 users