Book recommendations for basic TEE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RangerD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for good study books to use for basic TEE? I don't really need one with the depth for advanced TEE, but rather a good one that is intuitive, easy to read, etc for basic TEE.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend A Practical Approach to Transesophageal Echocardiography - Paperback (Nov. 6, 2007) by Albert C. Perrino and Scott T. Reeves.

I just took the advanced exam last year, and almost everything on the test was covered in this book. It is readable, well illustrated, and a good handbook for residency/fellowship and in the OR. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Board Stiff TEE, Gallagher. Quick, simple and to the point if that is all you're looking for. Uses a lot of humor but is thorough.

Board Stiff TEE, Gallagher. Quick, simple and to the point if that is all you're looking for. Uses a lot of humor but is thorough.

Thanks. Sounds good. I'm gonna go basic for the basic, and then spend much more time studying to take the Advanced exam with goal of Testamur.

Did you pass the Basic Exam with this alone?

There's an e-book on the open anesthesia website that's very comprehensive. Used it for reference during my rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
All of the above and Sidebotham, et al.
I generally prefer used books but make sure to get DVD, which is excellent...
He's british, so its Oesophageal in the text...which is funny.
Practical Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography: Text with DVD-ROM, 2e
ISBN 978-0702034275

Second/third Sidebotham or Perrino. The former is a bit easier for beginners. Sidebotham is from New Zealand, Perrino from Yale.

Why would you take the basic exam if your goal is to pass the advanced exam? That's a huge waste of time and money. I'm not sure why the basic exam exists at all except for the echo boards and ASA to make money off of people. It doesn't give you any kind of "expertise" or credentials. If you want to use TEE for hearts, skip the basic and just study for the advanced exam.

That being said, I highly recommend PTE masters. Great exam material and easy to follow lectures.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you take the basic exam if your goal is to pass the advanced exam? That's a huge waste of time and money. I'm not sure why the basic exam exists at all except for the echo boards and ASA to make money off of people. It doesn't give you any kind of "expertise" or credentials. If you want to use TEE for hearts, skip the basic and just study for the advanced exam.

That being said, I highly recommend PTE masters. Great exam material and easy to follow lectures.

I understand that sentiment, but while the basic exam exists I like the CV padding that it offers. So, it's mainly for that. I have plenty of CME money which makes that a non-issue for me.
Then, I'll attempt for Testamur status for the advanced exam. Frankly, much of that is also for CV padding, though I'm sure I'll learn a lot during the studying process, with the goal of being a better echocardiographer in the OR.

Bumping this thread as I'm studying for the basic TEE boards. Does anyone have experience with the PTE masters questions? Would those be overkill for the basic exam?

They are overkill, but if you answer those questions, you can answer the Basic questions. If you already have an account with them, I'd do practice tests on things like aortic and mitral valves and basic systolic function. Ignore most of the other practice tests. I also did questions out of Periop TEE Self- Assessment and Review, but I went overboard with studying for that exam.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile