Books before DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jbs1290

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some good books to read before my DPT program starts in Fall 14... Any suggestions?? Educational, motivational?? Anything! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hunger Games trilogy

Reactions: 1 users
Always looking up: the adventures of an incurable optimist by Michael J Fox is a good read. Kinda opens your eyes to how a diagnosis can pervade every aspect of life and how you take it in stride.
I have heard that How to live in the lab without smelling like a cadaver is good (but I haven't read it yet). It's a bible study I believe on the book of Daniel.
Someone else told me now is a good time to read Narnia.
Honestly, just pick a genre and enjoy the mental escape. :) Let us now what you choose and if it's good.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews, and Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University

Reactions: 1 user
I love really weird, interesting, atypical books... some suggestions include:

We Need to Talk About Kevin
The Thirteenth Tale
Invisible Monster (actually, ANYTHING by Chuck Palahniuk. Especially Fight Club if you've never read it... If you thought the movie was amazing, the book is downright phenomenal)
Rosemary's Baby
A Kiss Before Dying

I love really weird, interesting, atypical books... some suggestions include:

We Need to Talk About Kevin
The Thirteenth Tale
Invisible Monster (actually, ANYTHING by Chuck Palahniuk. Especially Fight Club if you've never read it... If you thought the movie was amazing, the book is downright phenomenal)
Rosemary's Baby
A Kiss Before Dying

I really enjoyed "Invisible Monster," it was a nice quick read. Palahniuk is a fantastic author.
I'm slowly working my way through the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (Game of Thrones) by George R. R. Martin. Incredibly slow reads but I enjoy them immensely - just completed book 3! I really want to start book 4 ASAP but I know I won't do anything other than read it if I do, so I'm waiting until I have a break from school, probably next winter.
I read "A Piece of Cake" by Cupcake Brown about a year ago and it really made me appreciate how lucky I am. I've worked incredibly hard and had some struggles, but they were nothing compared to what the author went through.
"Catch-22" by Joseph Heller and the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series by Douglas Adams are my two favorites. The former is a World War II novel that's a satirical comedy of sorts with some pretty dark undertones. The movie doesn't capture the comedy the way the book does, I find the book to be far superior. The latter is just a comedy of all sorts of ridiculous nature, a million times better than the movie and, in my opinion, the tv series as well.

I second the comment about Moonwalking with Einstein. It's fantastic. Also, if you happen to have a kindle you allegedly can find the book for free if you look around the internets.

Thank you all for the suggestions!!!

I downloaded a PDF version of Moonwalking with Einstein for free. I can't wait to read it looks great!

I also found a free PDF version of a book called Drive:The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us. Very interesting read by Daniel Pink who talks about human motivation, specifically three elements ... Autonomy, purpose and mastery

I also found an audio version for free of Good Omens.. Good for my commute to work

Moonwalking with Einstein is definitely a good read. Although, I found that it did not give the reader enough information on how to improve their memory. If you are interested in understanding and improving your memory, two books I would suggest are:

Your Memory: How It Works & How To Improve It by Kenneth L. Higbee, Ph.D.

Maximize Your Memory by Ramon Campayo

These books describe and teach you the techniques that are discussed in Moonwalking with Einstein and how you can utilize them in both your personal and professional life. If you are interested in a great philosophical read, I would suggest:

The First and Last Freedom by Jiddu Krishnamurti

This book made me re-evaluate and alter my way of thinking. If you are a fan of Bruce Lee, this is one of the philosophers that inspired him and his approach to life and his discipline.

Run, Don't Walk by Adele Levine. It was written by a PT who worked in Walter Reed Army Medical Hospital with amputees. It's entertaining but also shows you a little bit about what it's like to be a PT!

Run, Don't Walk by Adele Levine. It was written by a PT who worked in Walter Reed Army Medical Hospital with amputees. It's entertaining but also shows you a little bit about what it's like to be a PT!

I read this book while working on my PT school apps. I second that recommendation.