books for EM rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swoopyswoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen much mention of this clerkship - what do people use?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, there have been a lot of threads on this, although to be fair they've mostly been on the EM forum. For example, see this thread (which includes links to other threads).

Also, if you're interested in EM, it'd be good to join one or both EMRA and AAEM/RSA -- I'm impartial to the debate! :) (The embedded links lead to some book recommendations.)

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
Harwood-Nuss' Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine. It's only $256 on Amazon and a short 1,860 pages you could read during any 2-4 week rotation.

Just kidding. There is a really good little "top 10 cases in EM" booklet. Don't buy the Mass Gen EM Pocketbook - it was pretty useless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine Manual is very good, covers anything you would need for the shelf or day to day and small enough to fit in your coat pocket. Its long but is a fairly quick read. I've heard Emergency Medicine Secrets is also very good, I bought it but have not looked at it yet.

Having just taken the nbme shelf, I'll say Pre-Test was clutch.