Books for rheum fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlakeV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be starting rheum fellowship this year (yay!) and wanted to see if any current fellows had suggestions on good textbooks to purchase. I hope to have 2-3 good references to turn to. I've been eyeing the "Primer on Rheumatic Disease" for quite a while, but seeing that the latest edition is from 2008 I wonder if it's smarter to buy something more recent.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Primer is too basic and old for a fellow. Get Rheumatology Secrets and Kelley and Firestein's (or wait until fellowship starts; they very well might buy you one or both of these)

Reactions: 1 user
Primer is too basic and old for a fellow. Get Rheumatology Secrets and Kelley and Firestein's (or wait until fellowship starts; they very well might buy you one or both of these)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, I totally agree and highly recommend these two as well!

Hi everyone,

I will be starting rheum fellowship this year (yay!) and wanted to see if any current fellows had suggestions on good textbooks to purchase. I hope to have 2-3 good references to turn to. I've been eyeing the "Primer on Rheumatic Disease" for quite a while, but seeing that the latest edition is from 2008 I wonder if it's smarter to buy something more recent.

Cheers!
Secrets will be your highest yield day-to-day book.
Kelley for a deep-dive read. The primer will probably be given to you by your program, but a warning it is incredibly dry and boring.
Strongly recommend reading as many of your films as you can, even if you do have an MSK radiologist wherever you may be training. I found Imaging in Rheumatology: A Clinical Approach by Greenspan to be really helpful.
Best of luck to you!

Secrets will be your highest yield day-to-day book.
Kelley for a deep-dive read. The primer will probably be given to you by your program, but a warning it is incredibly dry and boring.
Strongly recommend reading as many of your films as you can, even if you do have an MSK radiologist wherever you may be training. I found Imaging in Rheumatology: A Clinical Approach by Greenspan to be really helpful.
Best of luck to you!
Thanks! Just looked up the book by Greenspan will definitely consider adding to my list then :)

Hi everyone,

Cheers!
Rheum fellow here. UpToDate and Pubmed is all you need.

I recommend “Healing with Shamanism.”
Best rheumatology book, especially if you’re going to be doing private practice in a large metro.

I used Rheum Secrets supplemented with good review articles of individual diseases/syndromes from reputable journals (Nature, A&R, Lancet). Keep your cost down. You learn most by seeing patients.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with above - you need Secrets and Care Questions so that you can pass the boards. For in depth reviews find review articles on topics, there are many high quality ones. Take advantage of the library your fellowship will likely afford you - you will have free access to many articles that after graduating will be behind a paywall. For point of care Up To Date is good. It is also good to review the articles it references and then read them in depth.