Books-someone shed some light

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ok so, in undergrad it was a big semester if you spend over 400 on books...

What is it like in podiatry school for books, supplies, uniforms, and other related costs?

*note*

Please only respond if you know what you are talking about, because I too have financial aid estimates and can read I am looking for pod students that might knwo or pre-pods that have already figured this out. :) k thx

Members don't see this ad.

What is it like in podiatry school for books, supplies, uniforms, and other related costs?

*note*

Please only respond if you know what you are talking about, because I too have financial aid estimates and can read I am looking for pod students that might knwo or pre-pods that have already figured this out. :) k thx
I suppose it depends on a few things: Which classes you have that quarter, whether or not you actually want to buy the books, etc. Some quarters can be pretty spendy if you are buying scrubs and stuff for anatomy lab. If your school provides the notes for you, you might not have to buy very many books unless you want to. Our library has all of our required textbooks on hold so you can check them out for an hour and use them in the library. You will almost definately need an Anatomy Atlas (Netter, Rohen, etc.), but you might not need very many books besides that. A current student at CSPM will be able to give you better advice on which books you need. You don't need to use your whole budget allotment for books and supplies (or even the $400/semester you asked about), at least in my experience.

*note*

The only books I bought this year were for General Anatomy. It totaled ~$500. I don't know how CSPM is, but we get the powerpoint presentations here at Temple. The instructors mainly test from those.

If I was to buy all of the books for all of my classes this year, it would be around $1000.

My first semester was very expensive because I flew to Philadelphia, so I had to buy all of my bedding, kitchen stuff, binders. I probably spent $400-$600 the first week. We also had to buy our white coats, lab supplies.

If you can take a few thousand dollars in your own money, that would be good. Especially the first year. Be frugal. If the library has a book on reserve, use that instead of dropping $150 on a book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scrubs and instruments are included in your tuition at CSPM. Books probably are $300-500 per semester, though I'm sure there are some second years who will be willing to part with theirs for less. Books are also on reserve at the library.

Lectures materials are online for the most part (PowerPoints/PDFs) as we use BlackBoard. Syllabi are also handed out in some classes. Certain classes books are useful, others not so much.

I would definitely recommend Netters and a dissection atlas, definitely useful for preparing for practicals (in addition to going to lab).

Scrubs and instruments are included in your tuition at CSPM. Books probably are $300-500 per semester, though I'm sure there are some second years who will be willing to part with theirs for less. Books are also on reserve at the library.

Lectures materials are online for the most part (PowerPoints/PDFs) as we use BlackBoard. Syllabi are also handed out in some classes. Certain classes books are useful, others not so much.

I would definitely recommend Netters and a dissection atlas, definitely useful for preparing for practicals (in addition to going to lab).

if the books are on reserve is it necessary to buy them and if so how would i find second years and get their books?

hey thanks for the cspm info!

Perhaps you could make a post on the class of 2012 facebook page?

indeed an excellent idea....i wonder if you know be able to know who I am then....hmm should I give up my not so secret identity....hmmm

There are class e-mails, and I'm sure you'll get some within the first week you arrive regarding selling books.

Do the schools still make you buy a microscope? Mine told us that it would come in handy in our offices. That was the biggest crock of shet ever. Thank god I was able to unload it on an incoming student and get some of my $1500 back. Phooey.

Do the schools still make you buy a microscope? Mine told us that it would come in handy in our offices. That was the biggest crock of shet ever. Thank god I was able to unload it on an incoming student and get some of my $1500 back. Phooey.
A microscope?? Haha! I have never even heard of a school requiring you to buy a microscope. Did the school bookstore order too many and they figured the pod students could use them??:laugh:

A microscope?? Haha! I have never even heard of a school requiring you to buy a microscope. Did the school bookstore order too many and they figured the pod students could use them??:laugh:

That's probably what happened. Of course, in our excitement to be in podiatry school, most of us [raises hand] gladly bought them. We were all, "Cool! A microscope! Now I'm a real doctor and I'll look at slides and I'll see all sorts of pathology and I'll cure foot cancer and I'll save the world and...oh, you say I should buy a doctor bag too? Okay!"

Cripes.

*note*

When i spoke to Dr tran he told me theres no need to really buy books because everything is given on power point slides. I guess you can buy books for reference but don't waste your money until later when you get to clinicals.

Books are such a waste! Well, most of them. I think many professors are still living in the old age and don't realize we have google. Seriously, save yourself some money and only get the absolute essential books and do that through asking a ton of upperclassman. In the corner or my room I have over a couple hundred dollars worth of books that I was told were 'required' by the professors. Ranging from physiology to histology. If the professor has a book then get it but mainly use their notes, powerpoints, review books, along with the internet. Also books for labs (ones with pictures) I found to be the most useful in buying.

Medical school is all about high yield studying. Don't get caught up in all the minute details that a huge textbook provides, focus on the large picture first then get the small stuff. I'm a huge fan of small 'Cliff's Notes' type books. Our physio professor insisted we use Levy's huge physiology book along with Vanders small renal book, and he knocked the small BRS book saying it wasn't good. I didn't even crack open the former 2. I used his notes as my main source, and the internet and BRS as my other and did just fine. This is how it was in all my classes.

I bought Nettter and a Dead book for anatomy and nothing else first year at DMU. We get everything on PP and most give large hand-out packets to study so the books really aren't necessary unless you learn better by reading large amounts. Even so, you could get what's needed just by following what is provided to you from most profs.

Most of you are saying not to buy books. Do you actually retain the information by just reading the notes? I'm in undergrad and reading through powerpoint slides doesn't help much. I grasp and understand the material much more by reading the text. It's very time consuming but helps... should I ditch these methods and try working on rote memorization from powerpoint slides?

Well for some classes there are no books or the books are insanely more than you could ever read (Pathology). For others the handouts nicely complement the pp so the book is really unnecessary. Remember, you're taking 3 or 4 classes at once usually so you've gotta be time effective.

I'm not familiar with the curriculums at any of the other schools but here we get most of the info again and again even though the classes are different (anat --> neuro --> phys) so you do actually retain it even if you don't feel like it after exams.

I would suggest just waiting and see what the schedule is at your respective school. Everyone is diff too so some people actually do buy ever book possible and use it, but the vast majority make due without and do just fine.

Times have changed, since when I was in school 20+ years ago books were really mandatory. Computers weren't available to retrieve information and handouts were very limited. Unfortunately, we had to rely on our textbooks as our own source of reference. The note taking service was pretty weak, so unless you personally took great notes, your textbooks were your best friends.

And today they look really impressive on my bookcase!

However, given today's technology and advancements, I fully understand why students would not want to and would not need to spend big bucks on textbooks such as histology, physiology, etc. However, I would highly recommend that every student purchase a quality anatomy textbook/atlas.

The basis of what we do daily and especially in surgery is having a thorough understanding of anatomy. You can't simply "memorize" anatomy from notes, but must visualize the anatomy via textbooks/atlases. Having more than one is also important due to the anatomical variances and anomalies that occur in the population.

Knowing your anatomy "cold" is a major key to making a proper diagnosis and being a competent surgeon. If you know your anatomy well, you can almost always figure out the pathology if you understand what structures are in the area and what structures can be causing the problem, contributing to the problem, etc.

So, the bottom line is when planning your budget, please include at least one anatomy book/atlas......I guarantee you it will be worth the investment. I still refer to my anatomy books after all these years.

Another great inexpensive small pocket guide that comes out annually is Sanford's guide to antimicrobial therapy. Often, pharmaceutical reps give it out for free, though those days are coming to an end. It's a small pocket guide that discusses antimicrobial/antibiotic therapy. Although there are arguably better books on the subject, this is a very good reference that's small enough to carry in a lab coat and is updated annually and is under $15.