Books to Read Before Starting Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benevolent822

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few general medicine books that I found at a thrift store. The problem is that they are pretty old. They are "Guide to Prescription and Over-the-Counter Drugs" (published 1988), Cecil's Textbook of Medicine (19th ed. published 1992), and Natural and Medicinal Cures (published 1994). I bought them thinking they'd be fun to read, but am afraid of learning outdated/false information.
IMG-0192.JPG

In the SDN opinion, would it be okay to read them?

Also, what are your top 3 Books to Read Before Medical School? These can be either completely unrelated to medicine (like The Hobbit, as a random example), books similar to the ones I mentioned above, or life sciences undergrad textbooks (Biochem, Cell Bio, etc.), but make sure you explain your 3 choices and why a soon-to-be medical student should read them.
Have fun and thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you think it would be fun, then go ahead... But I figured since I'd be reading the studying textbooks in medical school, why do that now?

I'm currently reading The White Coat Investor by James Dahle and Complications by Atul Gawande. The White Coat Investor because I want to be educated financially and Complications because it was highly recommended to me and it's been a good read so far, providing a good insight into medicine and surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
House of god is the only prerequisite for medical school.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
House of God and the White Coat Investor. None of the books you mention will be worthwhile.

Reactions: 2 users
throw that natural medicine book in the trash.

+1 for House of God.

+1 for House of God, then reread it intern year
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down (to learn the potential disconnects between you and your patients in a poignant way)
Infinite Jest (for general insight on the modern human condition)

I have a few general medicine books that I found at a thrift store. The problem is that they are pretty old. They are "Guide to Prescription and Over-the-Counter Drugs" (published 1988), Cecil's Textbook of Medicine (19th ed. published 1992), and Natural and Medicinal Cures (published 1994). I bought them thinking they'd be fun to read, but am afraid of learning outdated/false information.View attachment 230940

Also, what are your top 3 Books to Read Before Medical School? These can be either completely unrelated to medicine (like The Hobbit, as a random example), books similar to the ones I mentioned above, or life sciences undergrad textbooks (Biochem, Cell Bio, etc.), but make sure you explain your 3 choices and why a soon-to-be medical student should read them.
Have fun and thank you!

Here are my top three books:
“Rest”
“Sleep”
“You’ll be reading enough in medical school”

I thoroughly enjoyed each of them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Not those books. Cecil’s will be over your head, plus that edition is very out of date.
Some novel suggestions:
the obvious - House of God by Samuel Shem
Intern by Sandeep Jauhar
Short White Coat by James Feinstein
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Reactions: 3 users
I have a few general medicine books that I found at a thrift store. The problem is that they are pretty old. They are "Guide to Prescription and Over-the-Counter Drugs" (published 1988), Cecil's Textbook of Medicine (19th ed. published 1992), and Natural and Medicinal Cures (published 1994). I bought them thinking they'd be fun to read, but am afraid of learning outdated/false information.View attachment 230940

Have fun and thank you!

Ditch those old texts! If you want to read for pleasure, try these:
(Also, there are multiple threads with recommended reads before med school. Just a heads up)

House of God-Samuel Shem
Being Mortal-Atul Gawande
Better-Atul Gawande
When Breath Becomes Air-Paul Kalanithi
The Gene-Siddartha Mukherjee
Gulp-Mary Roach
Stiff-Mary Roach
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks-Rebecca Skloot
The Scalpel and the Silver Bear-Lori Alvoord
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down-Anne Fadiman
My Stroke of Insight-Jill Bolte Taylor
Proof of Heaven-Eben Alexander
Final Gifts-Patricia Kelly and Maggie Callahan
On Grief and Grieving-Elisabeth Kubler Ross and David Kessler
Cutting for Stone (fiction)-Abraham Verghese

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Read non-medical things.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hot Lights and Cold steel
When Breath Becomes Air - A+
Complications

If you think it would be fun, then go ahead... But I figured since I'd be reading the studying textbooks in medical school, why do that now?

I'm currently reading The White Coat Investor by James Dahle and Complications by Atul Gawande. The White Coat Investor because I want to be educated financially and Complications because it was highly recommended to me and it's been a good read so far, providing a good insight into medicine and surgery.

Complications is good, started it yesterday.

"Oh The Places You'll Go" -Dr. Seuss ;)

I agree to read novels. Read Roth and Pynchon and Updike. Read Dostoevsky and Camus (The Plague! relevant) Read Infinite Jest (I say again), you might never have time again.

I agree to read novels. Read Roth and Pynchon and Updike. Read Dostoevsky and Camus (The Plague! relevant) Read Infinite Jest (I say again), you might never have time again.
YES! last summer I read Atlas Shrugged, took me all summer but it was well worth the thought provocation.

Thank for the responses, all!
The natural medicine book is now serving as fuel for a nice, toasty fire. At least it's good for something, right?
Also, I just ordered The House of God, will be here in 2 days (Prime is awesome). I'm excited to read it.
I will take a look at the rest of these recommendations when I get a chance and will report back.
Thanks again!

First aid, pathoma, sketchy, uworld and combank subscriptions and then if you have time robbins (orange book). You can throw in savarese if you feel daring.

Don't waste your time studying before med school since your life will be studying. Enjoy what time you have to do fun stuff.

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Read something fun. Go outside. Fly a friggin' kite. DO NOT STUDY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS!!!

There’s only one book that in my opinion really, absolutely must be read. The book is, wait for it...

House of God.

Personally I think you should read it before starting med school, but it’s okay to read it during the first year of 2 of med school (you’ll get more of the references), but definitely before you start 3rd year. The book is one of the funniest books you’ll ever read and it’s a great crash course about what to expect in your career.

Don’t read cecil’s or harrison’s yet dude... that book is standard issue second year stuff. You got time, and it’s just gonna take up valuable brain space you’ll need for physiology and anatomy.

I cannot subscribe to reading Ayn Rand though. Not one of the world’s great humane literary or philosophic minds, more of a weird cult leader. Plus you’re too old to really appreciate it if you’re out of high school ;). Substitute in Faulkner.

I cannot subscribe to reading Ayn Rand though. Not one of the world’s great humane literary or philosophic minds, more of a weird cult leader. Plus you’re too old to really appreciate it if you’re out of high school ;). Substitute in Faulkner.
I read Atlas Shrugged after graduating college and 1 year in a medical billing job - applying Rand's philosophy and ideologies to healthcare opened my eyes to the differences in worker types (producer/looter) and the conflict of for-profit medicine. Like you said, I don't think I would've appreciated Atlas Shrugged in high school or even college.

My PCP recommended Cutting for Stone when I mentioned I wanted to do medicine and I'm enjoying more than thought I would. It's already past due but I'm only halfway through and I'll definitely risk having a hold for graduation to finish it

Sent from my VS501 using SDN mobile

Complications by Atul Gawande

Reactions: 1 users
Currently reading and enjoying "Level 4: Virus Hunters of the CDC"

These are the ones I would recommend most highly. Youll get more than enough science books to read very shortly:

1. whitecoat investor
2. boggleheads guide to investing
3. Stiff
4. Cutting for Stone
5. The Emperor of All Maladies
6. House of God

I wouldn’t study anything personally! Anything you would study would probably end up not being helpful or relevant for what your classes will be starting off. So enjoying the time off is probably the best thing you can do for yourself!

Mountains beyond Mountains is a great world health book if you haven’t read it already

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A couple people mentioned The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down and I cannot recommend that book enough...I had to read it 3 times in college and I still think of it whenever I'm thinking about ethical situations/quality of life/what is "good health care". SO GOOD.