Books!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ngozi Onyema

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of stressing, yesterday I had orientation and we already have a reading assignment. I don't mind that. What has me stressed out is that the book store doesn't have the books yet and ordering online says that it may take close to a month from now to receive some books (including the one that I have the reading assignments for). I've exhausted all other areas I could possibly think to find the books for in person pick up (library, barnes and noble and internet search) and found nothing. Looks like my only choice is to order online. The window for the delivery for most of the books is between May 9th and May 22nd (large window). I hope I get it sooner than later so that I can have time to read and study because we'll have a quiz on the reading the first day of class. Class starts May 31st.

Members don't see this ad.

Expedite online orders if you can. Make friends and ask if you can borrow their books for a window of time that they won't be reading it.

You mean 2nd year friends? because I'm pretty sure everyone in my class of beginners is in the same situation. I wouldn't know how to make 2nd year friends which now that I think about it I find it kind of weird that we never met with any other current DPT students in this school, I would have thought we should have done so during orientation. It would have been cool for a current student to have met with us during the orientation.

I don't think I can do anything more about the shipping speed. Why there's that large gap of delivery date when I have 3 to 5 day shipping is beyond me. I feel like I have no choice though, can't find the books anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
If everyone else in your class is in the same situation, does your professor know this? It seems unreasonable to have reading assignment when most if not all don't even have access to the material. Were you given a booklist before orientation?

Last edited:
Except for netter, Neumann and Whittle, books have been close to worthless. I'd inquire on each course's necessity from professors and PT2s.

For the reading assignments, check the library and inform your professor. They will have an issue on reserves or post the chapter ebook under their right to use clause.

Actually I just figured out how to do expedited shipping. The original order was in standard shipping which is why the window for delivery was so large. I cancelled the order for the book which I have the reading assignment and quiz for and ordered it from someone who offers expedited shipping. So I should get the book next week. whew!

I checked the library and no it's not there and no we only got the list on orientation day. I called about none of the books being in the book store and was told that the list had not yet been given to the book store, I hope I wasn't being too pushy about it but I'd like to think that books that we need would be in the bookstore before we got the list, especially since there will be an assignment and quiz on the first day of class on it. But it's all good because I have expedited shipping from my order online and expect the book next week.

Seriously, if you can help it, don't buy any books. You won't use them. It will take you longer into the program before you know which ones you might actually want as a reference. If you are convinced that you have to have a book, look at Amazon or other website where you can rent the book.

I wish someone had given me that advice early. It was consistent among my cohort that none of us used any textbooks regularly.

Usually the course notes are all you need. However, if the professor assigns a book and test questions are based on material in that book, then rent it. If you really want to save money, then check it out at the library and read the pages you need.

Netter's or Grant's atlas is indispensable for Anatomy. I also recommend a good physiology textbook (Guyton and Hall). Other than that, I wouldn't buy books.

Kevin

Last edited:
I hear what you all are saying, throughout undergrad there have been classes in which the books were totally useless but there have also been others in which I've used almost every single page of the book. I'll see how the first semester goes. I already purchased all the books for this coming summer semester. I think it was asked by a student if we need the books and we were told by faculty that we do but I know how things are, and i know renting is better. I'll make better decisions about the books next semester but right now I'm taking the faculty word that we need the books.

Seriously, if you can help it, don't buy any books. You won't use them. It will take you longer into the program before you know which ones you might actually want as a reference. If you are convinced that you have to have a book, look at Amazon or other website where you can rent the book.

I wish someone had given me that advice early. It was consistent among my cohort that none of us used any textbooks regularly.

Could not agree more.