Boosting science gpa - community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wisco

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I searched the forums before posting this and I found a lot of talk about community college courses but none of them answered my question exactly. So my science gpa is a 3.45, and I won't be applying till next summer but I graduated last week. My question, is, would it be worth it to take science classes through my community college online to boost up my science gpa. Or should I take online classes through my state school? Or should I just leave it and focus on doing well on the MCAT? (I would have to take the courses online because I will be working)

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd be amazed. Community college science courses aren't going to be easier then the state schools. However they could be cheaper. But I'd say take classes at the state university because it'll make your life easier.

I'd say state school because medical schools won't take CC classes that seriously and know you probably took them at science gpa bumpers

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be able to bump my gpa from a 3.45 to probably a 3.55-3.63, would it be worth it? Does that much of a gpa change really have that big of a factor ? Or should I just save my money?

I would be able to bump my gpa from a 3.45 to probably a 3.55-3.63, would it be worth it? Does that much of a gpa change really have that big of a factor ? Or should I just save my money?

3.45 to ~3.6 sounds pretty good, but I wouldn't do it at a CC.

Every school has a known easy-science-courses, not due to the nature of the subject, but the teacher who teaches that course.
Take those at your state school.

I'm a transfer student and to be quite honest, my CC science classes were much harder than my university ones. (no CC Knight)

I'd say state school because medical schools won't take CC classes that seriously and know you probably took them at science gpa bumpers

If you take them as a boost to your GPA, then it won't look good. Boost your GPA at a four year school.

In a different situation, such as taking Biology at a community college, I do not think it would look bad. It is only if they give you an A, then you go to a 4 year school and get a B in O-chem they might look down on the CC courses.

Since you just graduated with a bachelor's degree, you have to take the classes at a university. If you don't then they won't be taken seriously. ADCOMs will wonder why you stopped taking courses at a university once you graduated. The GPA boost will be nice either way, but you don't want to raise additional questions. I understand that it will be more expensive to take them at a university, but it will make your application look stronger. I would definitely do it. Try to increase your science GPA to a 3.55-3.60. As someone who went to a community college for 2 years and transfered to a university, I feel that most of my science classes were harder at the community college--the professors had high expectations and tough exams. But it's the appearance of "reverting" back to a junior college that you want to avoid.

Everyone is forgetting the obvious...these new grades will not boost your undergrad GPA. You are graduating, thus all course work post graduation will be considered postbacc work. There is a new line on the AMCAS application for post-bacc work. During verification they will adjust it to this category. My suggestion is your GPA is fine, work on other aspects of your application to stand out. Look at the stats from AAMC for your GPA and MCAT score to see the percent of matriculats for your combo.

Thanks for this great thread with lots of helpful info! I'll be a senior this fall (psych major) and am realizing I would like to actually finish what I started as a freshman/sophomore bio major and try to apply to medical school. I'll have to either take OChem I & II or Physics I & II after graduation (I'm thinking OChem). I was planning on doing this at a CC over the summer (so I'd have the knowledge base to study for/take the MCAT in the fall), but if the CC route isn't such a great idea, how do people "sign up" for classes at a university after receiving a bachelor's degree? Is there an application process (different than a formal post-bacc), because just signing up sounds too good to be true...

Thanks for your help

Thanks for this great thread with lots of helpful info! I'll be a senior this fall (psych major) and am realizing I would like to actually finish what I started as a freshman/sophomore bio major and try to apply to medical school. I'll have to either take OChem I & II or Physics I & II after graduation (I'm thinking OChem). I was planning on doing this at a CC over the summer (so I'd have the knowledge base to study for/take the MCAT in the fall), but if the CC route isn't such a great idea, how do people "sign up" for classes at a university after receiving a bachelor's degree? Is there an application process (different than a formal post-bacc), because just signing up sounds too good to be true...

Thanks for your help

I think you're going to need to rethink your timeline. Are you expecting to cram a full year of orgo and physics into this summer, then turn around and take the MCAT this fall? Consider a few things...

1. Good luck finding a CC that offers either of those classes, let alone both sections over the summer. If you do, good luck getting in, summer registration was months ago, fall classes are already filling/full. Also, pre-req's for those classes will differ from school to school.

2. When were you planning to actually study for the MCAT? Personally, if I were planning on taking it this fall I'd have started studying around last xmas. ;p

3. EC's? Clinical experience/volunteering? If you haven't done these, you need to think about when. A couple months tacked on before applying looks pretty disingenuous.

^see this is utter bullS*** but unfortunately it is true. My community college was WAY harder than my state school; I had a professor w/ a pHD in biochemistry teaching us gen chem II. at my local CC, my GPA was a 3.66 and at my state school, after taking 35 hours, I have a 4.0. However, after taking 35 hours and not getting a single B, my GPA only went up from a 3.66 to a 3.77 so you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it. You could use that time to get some research exp, volunteer, etc. Maybe take 1 or 2 classes, but I don't about a full load. It sucks too bc my advisor and even told me "look, this is a real school and your not a CC anymore so if you wanna be taken seriously you need good grades from here on out".....stupid.

Everyone is forgetting the obvious...these new grades will not boost your undergrad GPA. You are graduating, thus all course work post graduation will be considered postbacc work. There is a new line on the AMCAS application for post-bacc work. During verification they will adjust it to this category. My suggestion is your GPA is fine, work on other aspects of your application to stand out. Look at the stats from AAMC for your GPA and MCAT score to see the percent of matriculats for your combo.

PlacentaSac, I was wondering about this since I am also a postbacc student. How is the postbacc grades weighed vs. the undergrad grades. Are they just averaged out or is there more weight put into the postbacc grades? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.