Boston Suspect Described as Medical Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
looks like capture is imminent... they have him cornered, hiding in a boat in watertown.

Members don't see this ad.

The poster was referring to the Craigslist killer who was a second-year at BU.

Or Daniel Mason, BU MS-4 (see my earlier post). His murderous act caused quite an uproar earlier that same decade. It isn't clear which homicidal BU med student the poster was referring to. Probably both.

Not that it matters much, because the current guy is not a medical student.

Members don't see this ad :)
This picture of dead suspect #1 has been circulating online. Does anyone have insight into what may cause this type of damage?

WARNING: GRAPHIC!
https://twitter.com/CandiCunningham/status/325306648522526720/photo/1

The facial /neck wounds were caused by blast damage from an alleged explosive vest. He was also shot multiple times and run over by his brother. The large left-sided chest wound (as mentioned earlier) is due to open thoracotomy....you can still see the betadine around the wound.

To answer the question posed earlier of how doctors could treat him - aside from it being their jobs (which is probably the best answer), they also likely wanted to save him so he could face justice and possibly provide motive and answers. I know I was disappointed when I found out he died in a hail of gunfire (what might be considered a noble and heroic death by his supporters).

looks like capture is imminent... they have him cornered, hiding in a boat in watertown.

This whole story is going to be like gold for conspiracy theorists. The owner of the house said the suspect was basically passed out in his own puddle of blood in the boat. If that was the case why would police take like over an hour to capture him? Coincidence or conspiracy? Haha

This whole story is going to be like gold for conspiracy theorists. The owner of the house said the suspect was basically passed out in his own puddle of blood in the boat. If that was the case why would police take like over an hour to capture him? Coincidence or conspiracy? Haha

Obviously because he had a gun and and grenades, so they wanted to be cautious...

...er...

I mean, conspiracy!!! Moon landing! Chemtrails! :eek:

Last edited:
+billion for the above statement. The muslims that I have met through school have been, on average, much nicer than most other people.

Muslims are great people. Very friendly and hardworking! Unfortunate that the media portrays Islam and Muslims in such a negative manner. That's like saying Hitler and Timothy Mcveigh represent all Christians. Go out and get to know Muslims yourselves, then judge!

Gee, I don't know. Maybe because his brother was wearing a suicide vest?

Really? You can't understand why they would want to be methodical to ensure the highest chance of bringing him into custody alive? Look what happened to his brother... plus they lost a police officer in the scuffle the night before.

Really? You can't understand why they would want to be methodical to ensure the highest chance of bringing him into custody alive? Look what happened to his brother... plus they lost a police officer in the scuffle the night before.

You don't think the government was behind it so they could unleash the TSA to the streets?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't blame his family for thinking it was a conspiracy and they were set up given the nature of the type of governments they are used to. But as far as Americans thinking its a conspiracy - if you don't like or trust the US government you can freely move somewhere else.

What were his stats?

What materials did he use for step 1 prep?

I don't blame his family for thinking it was a conspiracy and they were set up given the nature of the type of governments they are used to. But as far as Americans thinking its a conspiracy - if you don't like or trust the US government you can freely move somewhere else.

I don't think the government is behind it, but I do think the government will exploit it to try to invade internet privacy, things like that.

I don't think the government is behind it, but I do think the government will exploit it to try to invade internet privacy, things like that.

That's because we're all opportunists at heart.

All I'm gonna say is that b/c these 2 guys were muslim, there is going to be a flashback to post 9/11 where muslims and other muslim looking people (like Hindus/Sikhs) are going to be attacked by ignorant people who don't know any better.

Muslim looking? It's a religion not a race. Anyone can be Muslim. You don't look Muslim lol.

All I'm gonna say is that b/c these 2 guys were muslim, there is going to be a flashback to post 9/11 where muslims and other muslim looking people (like Hindus/Sikhs) are going to be attacked by ignorant people who don't know any better.

I don't believe in generalizing and attacking all muslims for this, but let's be real. Enough of the politically correct ****. These guys did it because they bought into the extreme islam views. As Bill Maher says on his show, there's only one religion who believes you should die for denouncing their prophet, etc etc etc. If you make a cartoon about Jesus people won't die for it. Not in 2013. Yes, Islam is part of the problem. The extremist view of it.

To acknowledge that isn't to attack Muslims. The muslims at my school are the nicest people I've ever known.

I don't know that anyone is disagreeing that the extremist view of the religion is bad.

However, what evilbooya was getting at, and what is very unfortunate is all this bad stuff that the extremist do is going to hurt the more moderate practitioners and even people unrelated to the religion who happen to look a certain way ie Sikhs. They are going to suffer some major backlash and possible attacks. That isn't right or helpful either.

I ran across this article that frames it nicely. http://www.theatlantic.com/national...t-shouldnt-matter-this-is-why-it-does/275154/

While the extremist form of the religion may be one of the few that actively seeks death for other people, there are plenty of other ideological views of other groups that also want other groups dead and have tried to accomplish those ends.

I don't believe in generalizing and attacking all muslims for this, but let's be real. Enough of the politically correct ****. These guys did it because they bought into the extreme islam views. As Bill Maher says on his show, there's only one religion who believes you should die for denouncing their prophet, etc etc etc. If you make a cartoon about Jesus people won't die for it. Not in 2013. Yes, Islam is part of the problem. The extremist view of it.

To acknowledge that isn't to attack Muslims. The muslims at my school are the nicest people I've ever known.

I don't know that anyone is disagreeing that the extremist view of the religion is bad.

However, what evilbooya was getting at, and what is very unfortunate is all this bad stuff that the extremist do is going to hurt the more moderate practitioners and even people unrelated to the religion who happen to look a certain way ie Sikhs. They are going to suffer some major backlash and possible attacks. That isn't right or helpful either.

I ran across this article that frames it nicely. http://www.theatlantic.com/national...t-shouldnt-matter-this-is-why-it-does/275154/

While the extremist form of the religion may be one of the few that actively seeks death for other people, there are plenty of other ideological views of other groups that also want other groups dead and have tried to accomplish those ends.

I agree with most of what you say, but to totally ignore that they were Muslims and just label it as "two guys who wanted to kill people" is stupid. These were two muslims who wanted to kill americans. Islamic extremists are not equated with other groups. To say so is liberal, PC garbage.

I agree with most of what you say, but to totally ignore that they were Muslims and just label it as "two guys who wanted to kill people" is stupid. These were two muslims who wanted to kill americans. Islamic extremists are not equated with other groups. To say so is liberal, PC garbage.

And to ignore that many of the physicians, nurses and first responders caring for victims of the attack were also Muslim would be a major oversight as well.

there is no clear motive yet, religious or not, and to prematurely point fingers at entire groups of people would be, among other things, in stark contrast to the very fundamentals of what it means to be an American.

And to ignore that many of the physicians, nurses and first responders caring for victims of the attack were also Muslim would be a major oversight as well.

there is no clear motive yet, religious or not, and to prematurely point fingers at entire groups of people would be, among other things, in stark contrast to the very fundamentals of what it means to be an American.

I pointed fingers at entire groups of people? Look at my post a few back and read it three times over. Who said anything about the victims?

At no point did I say to ignore that they were Muslims. Just that careful framing of the entire context is important, as described nicely in that article. What's more important than the the fact the he was a Muslim is how he became one and what shifted in his life that pushed him towards becoming an extremist one who carried out a terror attack. Knowing he was a Muslim doesn't benefit us much. Answer the latter does as it creates a useful profile for keeping an eye on these people and maybe preventing some from falling into these groups. We have plenty of resources nowadays to flesh out these stories more than just one word buzzword labels, which the medial is unfortunately so prone to doing.

To pull liberal vs. conservative politics into this discussion is ridiculous, it has nothing to do with my point. It has to do with a documented history of attacks and stigmatization that happened to moderate Muslims and non-Muslim people who were perceived to be Muslim and not wanting to repeat that. Why, well for starters these are hardworking, nice American people too. Second, retaliating against people who had nothing to do with the attacks only creates a greater divide between us and more problems down the road.

As far as Islamic extremist not being equated with other groups? Well they make a hell of a lot more noise and big explosive scenes than some groups, but plenty of other ideological groups have and do engage in things like ethnic cleansing, murders, bombings, and all kinds of other violence against people they don't like or disagree with from a religious or idealogical standpoint. Just because our country's mainstream media groups don't focus on these because the attacks are in far away places, doesn't mean they don't exist or aren't as bad as what Islamic extremist do. Comparing actual numbers of Islamic extremist to other groups might give you a surprising breakdown.

Are you saying there are no other religious groups that will commit murder in the name of religion? That is absolutely false. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

I am picking out christianity due its prevalence in the US. Just check out that list, Anders Breivek killed 77 because he felt those people were not respecting christian morals. Joseph Kony started a war in the name of christianity in Uganda, leading to uncountable human destruction.

In the US, there have been MANY examples of people killing in the name of christianity. The Army of God bombed the Atlanta Olynpic games in 1996 trying to make a statement about abortion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Robert_Rudolph

Huatree, a christian militia group from Michigan, was planning on using IEDs to kill police officers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutaree

Your statements are incredibly ignorant. I am Christian myself, fyi. Hardly any religions are free from radical zealots doing terrible things in the name of theology.

Agree with the above. We hear about Islamic terror b/c it's nearer to our (people living in the USA) hearts. I think the fact that explosives were used make people think about Islamic terror as well (besides the example above and Timothy McVeigh, most christian terrorists seem to have used guns rather than explosives). I have no problem saying that these guys were 2 muslims who wanted to kill Americans. What I have a problem with is the next step that some ignorant people take, which is "2 muslims tried to kill Americans, therefore all muslims are like those 2!". It would be like if people saw the Westboro Baptist Church as representative of all of Christianity. However, since Christians are the majority in the US, that clearly doesn't happen.

To whoever said anyone can be a Muslim... thanks bro. Like I would make a comment like that without knowing that simple fact. What I'm saying is that black guys from Morocco who are devout Muslims aren't going to feel as much retaliation as Hindus and Sikhs. Hence my statement about 'Muslim-looking people'. Most people equate Islamic Terrorist = Middle Eastern. That's my point.

The Colorado shooter was a PhD student in Neuroscience at the college of medicine. He wasn't in the MD program.

The Colorado shooter was a PhD student in Neuroscience at the college of medicine. He wasn't in the MD program.

This is kind of why I have a problem with the media jumping the gun and saying all of these guys were medical students, especially when it turns out that they weren't. Physicians have enough public perception image issues right now without the media throwing a bunch of murderous nut jobs into the mix too.

Your posts make you sound as though you are either extremely ignorant to world politics or just shaped by what the media and comedians, like Maher and Stewart, speak of.

Any form of fanaticism is dangerous and religion as a whole is poisonous to society in general (I would refer you to C. Hitchens work so that you can at least understand some of the topics you are babbling about).

It is not only Islam that is the source of terror, consider the wars of Bush that demolished neighborhoods in Afghanistan and Iraq. Ignorant thoughts like yours lead to a dangerous prejudice in this country.

Dude, we just don't have enough information to substantiate what you're alleging. Plus, in the past, haven't Muslim groups been just a little bit less than reticent about speaking out about why they commit terrible acts? It doesn't fit the pattern, and while we can't rule out the notion that the perpetrators may have been radical muslims, we also don't have enough information to come to that conclusion logically. These two didn't say anything about the prophet, didn't publicly acknowledge that they committed the bombing, and didn't do this in what I recognize as a typical radical muslim fashion (if they did it at all, which is also still unclear, regardless of how many conclusions we jump to), based on what we've seen before.

And as other posters have said, terror committed by Muslims is not the only terror out there. This isn't PC bullcrap; it's just a fact that terrorism is not exclusive to radical muslim people.

An MD vs. Muslim vs. Murder thread now?

Tread carefully guys.