Boston University SPH - Accepted MPH Students Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derpnwork62515

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future/potential Terrier classmates! :happy: And congrats to everyone who was admitted to this fall's incoming MPH cohort! I was not able to attend today's admitted students' day :( and will not be able to attend next month's event either (I have prior commitments). I was wondering if those who attended (or will attend) can share your overall impressions regarding faculty/staff, the new curriculum, campus, student culture, etc. I'm sure your perspective will be really helpful to those who cannot be there in-person! Thanks! :love:

P.S. We can use this thread to communicate about anything BUSPH related. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took 2 courses as a non-degree student last year before officially applying this year. The faculty/staff are great. They're engaged and really amenable to students. They try to bring real life examples from their research/work outside of class into the classroom, which I think is super useful. There is a good sense of collaboration and openness at the school, which I really liked. I've always found that I learn better where there isn't cutthroat competition between students, but a sense of "we're all in this together" because public health requires you to work with people from all different backgrounds. The new curriculum is actually similar to Columbia's, mostly I think because the new dean was the chair of the epi program at Columbia before he came to BU. They have the course requirements up on the website now so you should check them out. Overall, it looks very flexible.

I'd suggest you talk to current students via the accepted students FB group. I spoke with a current student for 45 min and he RAVED about how much he loved BU and why. It was really helpful getting a sense of what current students are doing and hearing their perspectives. Hope this helps a bit!

Members don't see this ad :)
While I'm likely very outdated at this point, I was a 2008 alum, so I'm happy to talk about my experiences from then and how my current career has been shaped by my education.

Reactions: 1 user
I took 2 courses as a non-degree student last year before officially applying this year. The faculty/staff are great. They're engaged and really amenable to students. They try to bring real life examples from their research/work outside of class into the classroom, which I think is super useful. There is a good sense of collaboration and openness at the school, which I really liked. I've always found that I learn better where there isn't cutthroat competition between students, but a sense of "we're all in this together" because public health requires you to work with people from all different backgrounds. The new curriculum is actually similar to Columbia's, mostly I think because the new dean was the chair of the epi program at Columbia before he came to BU. They have the course requirements up on the website now so you should check them out. Overall, it looks very flexible.

I'd suggest you talk to current students via the accepted students FB group. I spoke with a current student for 45 min and he RAVED about how much he loved BU and why. It was really helpful getting a sense of what current students are doing and hearing their perspectives. Hope this helps a bit!

Thanks for sharing your experience with BU, @moonwave89! Would you also mind sharing what that current student said about BU? :Dhaha

While I'm likely very outdated at this point, I was a 2008 alum, so I'm happy to talk about my experiences from then and how my current career has been shaped by my education.

Yes, I'd really appreciate that, @Stories! Even though the program has changed a bit since you were at BU, I'm sure you have a lot of insight that can be extremely helpful to prospective students!:)

Thanks for sharing your experience with BU, @moonwave89! Would you also mind sharing what that current student said about BU? :Dhaha

Yes, I'd really appreciate that, @Stories! Even though the program has changed a bit since you were at BU, I'm sure you have a lot of insight that can be extremely helpful to prospective students!:)
He basically confirmed my impressions/experiences about BU's faculty and administration being really engaged with students, open to discussion, and collaborative, the curriculum being flexible, and Boston as a good place to study public health. We discussed BU vs. other SPHs, specifically Harvard and Columbia. He felt that the environment at BU was more collaborative than other schools and students/faculty at BU were more willing to work together and help each other out than at Harvard (those snobby ivies lol). The one thing he thought BU could improve on was its relationship with the community. Although BMC primarily serves low-income populations, the institution as a whole could do a better job becoming more involved and engaging with the community. Also, he thought the population was fairly homogeneous (mostly young white females) -- but I think that's a general trend in public health, and not surprising if you're in Boston.

He basically confirmed my impressions/experiences about BU's faculty and administration being really engaged with students, open to discussion, and collaborative, the curriculum being flexible, and Boston as a good place to study public health. We discussed BU vs. other SPHs, specifically Harvard and Columbia. He felt that the environment at BU was more collaborative than other schools and students/faculty at BU were more willing to work together and help each other out than at Harvard (those snobby ivies lol). The one thing he thought BU could improve on was its relationship with the community. Although BMC primarily serves low-income populations, the institution as a whole could do a better job becoming more involved and engaging with the community. Also, he thought the population was fairly homogeneous (mostly young white females) -- but I think that's a general trend in public health, and not surprising if you're in Boston.

@moonwave89 Thanks! Did they go into detail regarding the new certificate program and why they decided to revamp the curriculum? Also, was there any mention about which concentrations tend to be the most popular among students?

@Stories do you have anything to add to this convo? I know you mentioned you were a past student so I'd like to know your thoughts! :)

@moonwave89 Thanks! Did they go into detail regarding the new certificate program and why they decided to revamp the curriculum? Also, was there any mention about which concentrations tend to be the most popular among students?

@Stories do you have anything to add to this convo? I know you mentioned you were a past student so I'd like to know your thoughts! :)

@moonwave89 seems to have summarized my general feelings, too.

Reactions: 1 user

You know, not that I recall but I do know that the new dean came from Columbia so that might be a reason. I'd suggest you talk to someone in admissions or current faculty/students that might be able to offer a more whole perspective on the curriculum since my experience with it is somewhat limited.

You know, not that I recall but I do know that the new dean came from Columbia so that might be a reason. I'd suggest you talk to someone in admissions or current faculty/students that might be able to offer a more whole perspective on the curriculum since my experience with it is somewhat limited.

I did my own research and found out they deliberated as early as 2011 to overhaul the MPH (http://www.bu.edu/sph/2015/04/19/th...lic-health-curriculum-for-today-and-tomorrow/), so it looks like it was in the works even before Dean Galea joined BU!

Hello:

I have been accepted to BUSPH Fall 2016. Anyone else going there? I have a few questions or concerns about classes, cost, scholarships, and residence.
I need to know more information before I make a decision.

ANYONE?