Boston University vs SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgnsc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Boston University
Pros:
-Higher ranking/prestige... Ranked #29

Cons:
-3 to 4 hours away from family
-Cost of Attendance would be $85k a year... AKA $340,000 over 4 years not including compounding interest :(

SUNY Downstate
Pros:
-Combined MD/MPH in 4 years!
-Low Cost of Attendance at $55k a year (Includes MPH tuition, I can live at home!) AKA $220,000
-I can live at home with family and all my friends are from NYC and I hope to match in NYC

Cons:
-Lower ranking/prestige nationally, but I've been told that Downstate has a strong reputation in NYC... Unranked school

Before the STEP 1 P/F fiasco, I was very much leaning towards Downstate due to $$ but now I am confused on which school to choose. I know that BU has a stronger national reputation but it would cost me $120,000 and I cannot get an MPH within the 4 year timeframe. Right now, I'm interested in fields such as ENT, Anesthesia... Not interested in primary care although this can change. I hope to have a career at an academic institution as a clinician teaching med students/residents :)
I value being close to family/friends as well but I think that I would be happy at both schools. I think if COA was the same, I would choose BU.
Which school should I choose? Also, I am on High Priority waitlists at Einstein and Hofstra. I feel as though Einstein would be a good middle-ground between Downstate/BU if I were accepted but if I am accepted to Einstein, it will complicate things further. I'm also accepted to Penn State.
Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t underestimate support from family and friends. You will have no problem matching to a great anesthesia program from Downstate, ENT will be hard to match from anywhere, but the ENT PD at Downstate (Dr. Goldstein) is very receptive to interested students and meets with them to discuss their applications. I think >$100,000 difference in COA is significant enough for you to consider your options.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t underestimate support from family and friends. You will have no problem matching to a great anesthesia program from Downstate, ENT will be hard to match from anywhere, but the ENT PD at Downstate (Dr. Goldstein) is very receptive to interested students and meets with them to discuss their applications. I think >$100,000 difference in COA is significant enough for you to consider your options.

Thank you for your input. I definitely rely on my friends/family and was thinking I could come home 1/2 weekends a month during M1/2 if I ended up attending BU
And hearing that downstate's ENT PD is supportive is amazing; I see that downstate in the past usually matches 1 of their own students into the ENT program