Bothered More by Ingrown Toenail Removal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MakesSense

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was Shadowing in a Community Clinic in my hometown today and the last patient before I left had an ingrown toenail that needed to be removed. So I assisted the physician in the removal.

I have volunteered in a level 1 ER and been in on gunshot wounds, chest tubes, knife wounds, deep punctures and lacerations but assisting on this procedure "got to me" more than anything else. Not that I lost it or anything like that, but the all the other above procedures did not bother me at all, whereas this one made me a bit uncomfortable. I told the physician I was shadowing my observations and he just smiled and said my experience was not unusual.

A very unique experience and one I am sure those in this forum can appreciate,

Members don't see this ad.

This raises many interesting questions.

Many different people do ingrown nail procedures. MD, DO, DPM, nurses, primary care, ER, etc. I wonder how similar each is in their procedure.

Do nail avulsions need to be done as often as they are? There are other ways to fix this issue other than removing a part of the nail.

Why do some people have such high recurrence rates? If you are having a procedure for the 12th time (I've heard this), then this is probably the wrong procedure. There are many different types of procedures, and a doctor that does only one all the time is doing a disservice to their patients.

Do nail avulsions need to be so gruesome? Again, there are many different ways to do the same procedure, and some people are more messy.

I guess the point is that everyone does them differently. You'll see that ingrown toenails can be extremely painful and debilitating, but this is one issue that can be fixed quickly and bring much relief to the patient.

I was Shadowing in a Community Clinic in my hometown today and the last patient before I left had an ingrown toenail that needed to be removed. So I assisted the physician in the removal.

I have volunteered in a level 1 ER and been in on gunshot wounds, chest tubes, knife wounds, deep punctures and lacerations but assisting on this procedure "got to me" more than anything else. Not that I lost it or anything like that, but the all the other above procedures did not bother me at all, whereas this one made me a bit uncomfortable. I told the physician I was shadowing my observations and he just smiled and said my experience was not unusual.

A pre-pod posted on here not to long ago about feeling faint during a nail avulsion and one of the pod students said that for whatever reason a lot of people have problems. I guess it's the pulling out of the nail and clipping deep into the skin that gets them. Now that I think about it, it is somewhat (read: exactly) reminiscent of pulling out your fingernails with a pliers (a form of torture), so I understand how this can be nauseating.

I felt faint during a toe amp, and I've seen at least five (as a pre-pod, I obviously haven't DONE any of the procedures) ingrown toenail removals and never felt weird about it (again, it's probably a lot different actually performing the task, than just watching).

Members don't see this ad :)

As per prior post, this had been mentioned in the past. It's also not a unique experience to you, so don't feel bad. I've had many students, externs, residents in our office who have had similar experiences and even worse, after witnessing a nail procedure. Most of these students/residents had also witnessed more extensive procedures without incident.

I believe it's almost perceived as a form of torture. The doctor is sticking an instrument under the nail, then cutting the nail below the eponychium and "yanking" it out with a hemostat. You can almost "feel" it as you're watching the procedure. Similarly, if you ask most men, it's tough to watch a circumcision, even though it's a quick and simple procedure.

So don't feel bad, you're not alone in your response to the procedure.

This raises many interesting questions.

Many different people do ingrown nail procedures. MD, DO, DPM, nurses, primary care, ER, etc. I wonder how similar each is in their procedure.

Do nail avulsions need to be done as often as they are? There are other ways to fix this issue other than removing a part of the nail.

Why do some people have such high recurrence rates? If you are having a procedure for the 12th time (I've heard this), then this is probably the wrong procedure. There are many different types of procedures, and a doctor that does only one all the time is doing a disservice to their patients.

Do nail avulsions need to be so gruesome? Again, there are many different ways to do the same procedure, and some people are more messy.

I guess the point is that everyone does them differently. You'll see that ingrown toenails can be extremely painful and debilitating, but this is one issue that can be fixed quickly and bring much relief to the patient.

I'm not sure exactly what point(s) you are trying to make, but I don't agree with the majority of your post. As a student, I'm not sure where you are coming from with your comments.

1) You ask if nail avulsions need to be performed as often or if there is a better way to treat the problem. Well, if a doctor is honest and ethical, he/she is performing an avulsion when a patient has pain, inflammation, infection, etc. The patient can be on antibiotics forever, and although that may reduce some of the infection, it will NEVER heal without removing the offending nail border that is penetrating the skin. So these procedures aren't being performed too often, they should be performed when indicated, just as ANY procedure. And if the nail is penetrating the skin, there is no other way to correct the problem. There ARE ways to help prevent the problem such as teaching the patient how to cut the nails properly, avoiding tight shoes, avoiding pedicures, etc.

2) You ask why there are such high recurrence rates??? If an ingrown nail is chronically recurrent, it should be permanently corrected. By FAR the most common procedures performed involve chemical erradication of the matrix after avulsion, using phenol or sodium hydroxide. These procedures are extremely simple, can be performed in under 5 minutues in the office and are extremely effective. "Cold steel" procedures are performed much less often and are usually a little more traumatic and painful post procedure, though are sometimes preferred or indicated.

3) You state that there are many ways to perform an avulsion and ask if they have to be so gruesome. Over my many years of practice I have performed or witnessed of thousands of these procedures, performed by many practitioners, and the vast majority were done in a VERY similar manner. There's not much to do....anesthetize the toe, free the nail from the nail bed back below the eponychium then remove the nail with a hemostat, etc. In reality there really AREN'T that many ways to
perform this simple and effective procedure.

4) Make sure you are not using the terms avulsion and a permanent correction of an ingrown nail in the same context. There is a large difference.

A pre-pod posted on here not to long ago about feeling faint during a nail avulsion and one of the pod students said that for whatever reason a lot of people have problems. I guess it's the pulling out of the nail and clipping deep into the skin that gets them. Now that I think about it, it is somewhat (read: exactly) reminiscent of pulling out your fingernails with a pliers (a form of torture), so I understand how this can be nauseating.

I felt faint during a toe amp, and I've seen at least five (as a pre-pod, I obviously haven't DONE any of the procedures) ingrown toenail removals and never felt weird about it (again, it's probably a lot different actually performing the task, than just watching).

That was me lol. That's exactly what is was though. I saw another one today though and was fine with it. For me, it is moreso the noise that those clippers make, it sounds like the nail is cracking into pieces. I think you'll get use to it though, its just one of those first time things.

QUOTE=MaxillofacialMN;12622037]I bet that would be gross.... And people say podiatry is bad![/QUOTE]

Yea people just have some sort of idea that feet are so nasty. But when it comes to the human body there are a wealth of far more squishy distgusting things to work with. Have you ever seen a baby being born Ha talk about gross (86 OB.GYN).