Botox for migraines, is it in FM scope if certified some how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PorcupineDoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So obviously FM docs can get certified in botox use and do fillers and aesthetic procedures.

This I know.

Can FM doctors also use that certification to use botox in migraine treatment like neurologists and pain docs do? Is there an additional way to get certified in this or is it totally out of scope?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can, but getting patients will be your problem. Usually, getting to the point of using botox, the patient has already been seen and followed by a neurologist. I'm not sure if insurance companies will see this for reimbursement either. Someone else can chime in

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you can, but getting patients will be your problem. Usually, getting to the point of using botox, the patient has already been seen and followed by a neurologist. I'm not sure if insurance companies will see this for reimbursement either. Someone else can chime in
thank you for the response. I understand the pitfalls of it. Ive done a PMR and Pain management rotation and saw a lot of this. I plan to practice rural medicine and do full spectrum. Just thought it looked like a nice easy procedure that has a chance to help people and reimburse well.

thank you for the response. I understand the pitfalls of it. Ive done a PMR and Pain management rotation and saw a lot of this. I plan to practice rural medicine and do full spectrum. Just thought it looked like a nice easy procedure that has a chance to help people and reimburse well.
If You’re going through insurance it does not reimburse particularly well. And if you’re charging cash I doubt a lot of patients will want to pay for it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably due to convenience people would come to you. It's definitely not hard to learn. I learned how to do it during my 4th year neurology rotation. The reps from the company came to teach it to the residents and medical students

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the insight. I definitely agree with what everyone has said. The use of botox is definitely only used for migraines refractory to medications, especially the new medications. However, it is a treatment and I've seen neuro and pain do it so I was just wondering.

Just a cool easy procedure To do. And it's nice to exhaust all migraine treatment in house instead of get to that point then send the patient out to another provider. Just some thoughts.

Not sure you would get much clientele for such a specialized procedure in the rural setting. I guess it comes down to your definition of "rural". Not sure your pharmacy in the rural setting would even carry it for you. Just because you know how, doesn't mean you will have the green light to do it. Have had those issues before in small town clinics.

I work with an internist who did a headache fellowship and does the injections (in a big city). As far as I know there are no issues with reimbursement or with patients demanding a neurologist.