Brachydactyly Type D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JonnyMintz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be applying to medical school next year, and I'm hoping to eventually go down the orthopedic surgery route. The only thing, other than future academic obstacles, that could limit me in this area are my hands.

I was born with brachydactyly type D, which means I have much shorter than normal thumbs. I am also not able to bend the tips back, like normal ones do.

I don't believe this will limit me at all getting into med school and doing the normal tasks, but do you guys believe I could do what you do with this limitation.

As far as I know through my research, there is no surgery to correct this.

I would be grateful for any insight. Thank you.

-Jon

Members don't see this ad.

Currently if you have decided on med school you should focus solely on that and go all out on getting in, don't worry about getting into ortho now. You will eventually get to rotate through OB/GYN and gen surgery where you will find out if your hands can deal with surgery. Or you may not even like ortho once you get to see it. On the positive side, your congenital issue has given you a great back story on why you want to do orthopedics/medicine so I would play that to my advantage come application time. It makes you interesting to the person reviewing 500+ med school applications.