Break/holidays in Indian med school. PLZ HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sman15rulz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i just wanted to know what sort of breaks the Indian med schools had? Like in Canada we have summer break for four months (usually for students to work since most move out after highschool..i said most..not all) and ofcourse the 2 weeks for christmas which is technically the break after semester 1. So i just wanted to know the breaks and how long because i would like to plan accordingly. Thanks a lot and please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone help at all?? Any general or detailed info?? Thanks

sman15rulz said:
Hi i just wanted to know what sort of breaks the Indian med schools had? Like in Canada we have summer break for four months (usually for students to work since most move out after highschool..i said most..not all) and ofcourse the 2 weeks for christmas which is technically the break after semester 1. So i just wanted to know the breaks and how long because i would like to plan accordingly. Thanks a lot and please help.
Most students in Canada do not move out of the house right after highschool, unless they don't have a university close to their house. Indian students do get a summer break during their med school years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry i didnt mean that everyone moves. Just from my experience because a lot of my friends moved or are moving out mostly because they are going to a university far away just like you said and thanks for your reply. I was afraid there wouldnt be any breaks or breaks where it would give me atleast a week or two to come back to canada and spend some time with my family because i heard that the first year, you get only like two weeks or something of summer break and i dont know about christmas break. Is any of that true and what about christmas? Thanks

:luck:
sman15rulz said:

U dont have many holidays in medical school in India...... unless u decide on ur own when u want to :p yeah... i'm not joking u can do lot of bunking if u dont wish to attend college. Only long vacation i can remember is one that we had after first year university exams. U do have PLs (preparatory leaves)which genrally extends upto 2 months b4 university exams but u can hardly call it a vacation. but still u can take few days off from studying. I once read somewhere that india have largest number of public holidays. so u can always look forward to extended weekends... just now we have one this 14 is sunday monday is independence day and at the weekend we have rakshabandhan and pateti so we have college only for couple of days this week so i am fleeing off home tomorrow :luck:

Thanks for your reply. I heard that you HAVE to go to classes like you cannot stay in your room and bunk, is that true? Also when they give lectures , is there any way to get them ahead of time like online or in some other way? Also the Preparatory leave is 2 months, but i heard you cant really do much because you have lots to study before your finals which i am sure is true as i am not the best learner, more of a crammer :D . There are a lot of holidays such as long weekends and a day off in the week or something of that sort because of some hiliday but where are you going home to? I am just asking because my parents are in Canada but i have family in India, i could go to. I just dont see a long weekend reasonable to go back to Canada lol but most likely my uncles house in india. Could you tell me about christmas if possible like how long you get as a break. Thanks.

sman15rulz said:
Thanks for your reply. I heard that you HAVE to go to classes like you cannot stay in your room and bunk, is that true? Also when they give lectures , is there any way to get them ahead of time like online or in some other way? Also the Preparatory leave is 2 months, but i heard you cant really do much because you have lots to study before your finals which i am sure is true as i am not the best learner, more of a crammer :D . There are a lot of holidays such as long weekends and a day off in the week or something of that sort because of some hiliday but where are you going home to? I am just asking because my parents are in Canada but i have family in India, i could go to. I just dont see a long weekend reasonable to go back to Canada lol but most likely my uncles house in india. Could you tell me about christmas if possible like how long you get as a break. Thanks.

Officiallly u need to have at least 75% attendance in lectures and 80% attendance in clinical posting and practical classes. but all the departments are not strict about this attendance thing. if u r lucky u'll get to bunk as much as u want to. If u score good in exams authorities genrally tend to remain laxed on this attendance issue. Indian medical colleges are not computerised or wired that well but all the departments put up lecture and practical schedule for whole month on the notice board outside department office well in advance. so u have alot of time to plan.
My parents are currently based at nagpur which is roughly 900 *** east of mumbai. i'm going home tomorrow. :luck: i would be away for atleast a week. Many of my friends who live in close by cities like pune and nashik go home every weekend. U surely cant go to canada for a weekend. :D As far as christmas is concerned i dont think any medical college in india gives more than one day off. & if u r talking about CMC vellore or ludhiana then its different thing. Amount of holidays for an ocassion depends on where u r staying for example u'll have a big diwali vacation in most o northern and western indian medical colleges but if u r in west bengal or bihar u'll be having long vacations during dussehra. I think tamil nadu colleges have vacations during pongal. i am not sure about this just check it out.

happy journey shardul! but i think all the eastbound trains are cancelled till 16th!

allergic2morons said:
happy journey shardul! but i think all the eastbound trains are cancelled till 16th!

i will do anything to escape epidemics in bombay :p btw i'm going by bus

Thanks a lot Shardul for your help. I was also wondering about the end of year break like how long is it? From some people i heard 2 weeks from some others a month....both are okay and enough time to go back and see family (*Biological*) lol so any help or insight would be great. I am going to start in Tamil Nadu in about 6 days. I fly in 3 days so i am still packing not knowing whether i will be able to come back in the summer break or not.

dont worry u wud get nuff 2 go back 2 home no matter wherever on earth it may b

Cool. Hopefully it will be more than 2weeks but as long as i get to see them is good enough because i will be dying to see them but after 2 days with them i probably cant wait to go back lol.

gay_thread.jpeg