Break the news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David126

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a mechanical engineering major graduating this december. Problem is I am not interested in engineering anymore (13 month of co-op experience and dislike it more and more) and want to go to med school. I will need to take the Ochem and bio pre-reqs before I can apply though. Does anyone have experience telling their parents (who paid for their college) that you dont want to practice what your degree is in? I know medicine is what i want to do, but I also feel bad for my parents who just spent X amount of dollars for me to get an engineering degree

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a mechanical engineering major graduating this december. Problem is I am not interested in engineering anymore (13 month of co-op experience and dislike it more and more) and want to go to med school. I will need to take the Ochem and bio pre-reqs before I can apply though. Does anyone have experience telling their parents (who paid for their college) that you dont want to practice what your degree is in? I know medicine is what i want to do, but I also feel bad for my parents who just spent X amount of dollars for me to get an engineering degree

Look. You will have gotten an undergrad degree, and as far as I've seen, engineering is not an easy major. It's great that the 13 mo. co-op gave you some insight. Don't underestimate the importance of the use of those experiences that got you to the place you are and want to be. Dude you are getting the degree. You can apply many things you have learned, and you need an undergrad degree anyway. I've seen those schooled in engineering make great doctors.

Now what you really have to do is shadow and get clinical experience and volunteering in while you are taking your other MS pre-reqs and preparing for MCAT.

Beyond that, you just have to be very appreciative, respectful, and honest w/ your folks. Step up and kindly tell them that the 13 mo. co-op was a good thing, b/c it brought you to a new point of discovery.

Again, serious shadowing and serious clinical exposure--as much as possible --may not only help you get into MS. It will help you to decide, in the same way the co-op did, if the pain, length, lack of social life, and major expense of medicine is really right for you. You just won't be aware enough until you get A LOT of clinical exposure. I mean you have to see, smell, taste, feel, hear up close a lot of it from a lot of different scenarios/perspectives--else this trip down the road could really be a much worse, more expensive, epic journey.

Also, read from a number of medical students post-graduate MS physicians here. You will find a number of posts from folks that made into medical school and residency, and they absolutely hate it but feel stuck b/c of the time and money invested into it. No getting around those massive MS student loans, unless your folks can ante up for that as well.

Reactions: 1 user
First world problems. "Mom, dad, I'm going to be a doctor. Sorry to be such a disappointment."

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a plan to pay for pre med and med by yourself (w/ money you make or w/ loans in your name) that should soften the blow :)

I told my parents during undergrad, right when I got accepted into the nursing program. It didn't matter to them because I got into the program I had slaved my first few semesters of undergrad for and I was obviously too broke to afford college on my own. Fast forward a few years later, after working, I told them I'm going back to school to take my prereqs with the money I earned from my job. It softens the blow indeed. While they're not too thrilled, I think the closer I get to it, the more they think it's a feasible plan for me.

Either way... your money, your life. And you have to live with your decisions.

Sorry to go off topic, but take, if that is your dog, he/she sure is cute. :)

Sorry to go off topic, but take, if that is your dog, he/she sure is cute. :)

I wish. If I had any of my dogs for my avatar, I'd be way too identifiable ;) I do love the fluffy ones

I wish. If I had any of my dogs for my avatar, I'd be way too identifiable ;) I do love the fluffy ones
Me too; but I'm pretty much an equal opportunity dog lover.
I'd rescue a pug, but I find that their penchant for eating poop dissuades me. :)