Breakdown-But...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fashionation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished DAT 5/10/2012

PAT 23(96.4)
QR 19(91.2)
RC 19(52.2)
BIO 17(49.2)
GC 20(79.8)
OC 20(79.9)

Total 19
AA 19

I have about 3.8 Science GPA so far, 3.5 Overall GPA with many different experience.
I will take Organic Chemistry2 and Physics 2 this summer finishing all pre-requisit.

I took dat before taking OC2 class, to make early applications but would you recommend re-take after OC2? Then it will be about end of Aug. I wonder OC2 course will help me. Or Aug. DAT can be late one? Should I apply now with the score and submit additional one after two courses and 2nd test? Exhausted but lots of thoughts this afternoon...

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on finishing it!

I don't think OC is what's hurting you... 80%tile is pretty good in my book. I think if you're retaking you should look into Bio a little bit more

Just my opinion!

I feel like half of the OC DAT material was stuff I went over in OC2(mechanisms). I mean the only thing I see that is kind of low is Biology though. Your total science was 19?

these scores are avg. right? with that GPA I think you would be good to go. go look at docs avg GPA and DAT and find the schools you want to apply to. Good luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your scores are good! Congrats on being done! I agree with above, only thing is Bio. is ehh, but even a 17 makes the cut-offs for most schools, so a re-take is completely your call!

these scores are avg. right? with that GPA I think you would be good to go. go look at docs avg GPA and DAT and find the schools you want to apply to. Good luck!!!!

A 19 is the average score of students who matriculate into dental school. The national average is a 17.

hey fashion,

I know exactly how you feel. I also got a 19AA when I took it a month ago and was contemplating whether or not to retake. I decided not to and just going to apply ASAP.

Hmm. think about it like this - if you wait 3 months, it'll be around August before you can retake and since it takes some time for the scores to be sent, it'll likely get to your chosen schools in by beginning of September/end of august, which is not even early no more and will be competing with a larger pool of applicants. Also, there's no guarantee that you'll score higher than this time, and at that point you basically just shot yourself in the foot, if things don't go as planned.

You're GPA is fantastic and you're DAT scores are on par - so let's just hope that it's good enough for us both! Hope that helped :laugh: