Breakdown for Non-Trads (23AA 24TS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klownzo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I get to make one of these...

Bio: 23 OC: 24 GC: 24 RC: 22 QR: 20 PAT: 21 AA: 23 TS: 24

Time spent studying:
I started watching chads 6 months ago but only truly studied hard for 3.5 months. Looking back, those first months were pointless. I would watch some videos, take a few weeks off, and watch more videos and on and on. I finally told myself that if I don't change the way I was studying, I'll be stuck doing what I'm doing for the rest of my life... no thanks!

Resources:
Chads:
10/10! I did not remember a single thing from GC and OC when I started studying. I honestly believe that you do not even need to take GC and OC to do good on the DAT! Chad, a little googling, and determination is enough to teach you the basics of GC and most of OC. His QR videos and quizzes for all sections are great btw!

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language 1+2: 8/10. There were some basic topics that I didn't understand at first because Chad went through it fast assuming that you already have a good base. I decided to work through both books after watching Chad and I finally felt that I had a good understanding of OC. It does get too detailed at times

DAT Destroyer: 11/10!! This is a MUST if you want to score high. I read that statement in so many breakdowns and it's true. It is a struggle at first but after going through the GC/OC sections 4 times each I felt like I had those subjects mastered. I didn't make it through bio (got through 500 questions) but if I had more time I would have gone through it. DO NOT time yourself with these sections, use them to LEARN! I didn't do any math here.

Math Destroyer: 10/10. I am TERRIBLE at math. The first time I went through the first test I only got 7 questions right! You have to grind through the tests, learn from your mistakes, and then do them again! It's the only way to learn!

DAT Bootcamp: 10/10! The practice tests were great! They were challenging but they teach you a lot and get you ready for the real deal. This was the only practice material I used for PAT and it prepared me well! Use the generators every day!

QVault Bio: 8/10. Great practice and provides good info.

Cliffs AP Bio: 8/10. Memorize this before you move onto other resources! Provides a great foundation

Feralis Notes: 10/10! I went through this last and I surprisingly knew most of it. It's a great way to solidify your knowledge and get you ready to nail the bio section

Test:

Bio:
There were questions straight from some of the practice tests. I'm not sure which ones because they blur together. Overall it was fairly easy. There were a couple of questions that I was confused about. They word things differently to make you think but easy to figure out if you prepared well

OC: I'm honestly disappointed I didn't get a 30 here. It was so easy... no idea what I got wrong. Maybe I accidentally marked the answer wrong a few times? I went through it fast to review bio.. Destroyer makes this section a breeze!

GC: Similar to OC but there were a few questions that had me confused even though I thought I had figured them out. Very easy and again, Destroyer.

PAT: Keyholes are easier but TFE was harder than bootcamp. The other sections were on par. The drawings can be kind of bad so that gets annoying

RC: I use the vanilla method. Easier than BC and I'm disappointed I didn't score higher. The questions were straight forward

QR: I never dreamed of scoring a 20! I was hoping I would get around a 17... Just mark questions that you think will take you a while and come back to those after getting the easy points! BC was the most similar to the real deal!

Final thoughts: Anyone can score high on the DAT! DO NOT start studying with the mindset of being content with a 19 AA. Tell yourself you're going to show @FeralisExtremum who's boss! I wanted a 30 on every section and truly believed it was/is possible for me in every section ... other than QR ;). Remember why you're studying and keep your eye on the prize! Anytime I felt like I was struggling with motivation I would think about where I wanted to be in life in 20 years and then I would watch this video http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=6vuetQSwFW8 (highly recommend) . If you're a non-trad student thinking about making the switch, I hope this motivates you to give it a go! Destroy the DAT and take the leap of faith! I actually thought I would score better but I guess I'll take these scores :). Now it's time for me to turn in my resignation at work, take a year of science classes, and join the fray June 17'!

I could not have done this without Chad, @orgoman22 , @Ari Rezaei , @FeralisExtremum , and most importantly, my wonderful fiance who has supported me from the night I mentioned I wanted to chase after dental school!

Proof and practice scores are attached

dat!.jpg scores.PNG

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
You killed it!!!! Especially after being years out of UG...
I also took it today, and definitely did not do as well as you, although I'm still happy! Hooray that you're/we're done and get to celebrate this weekend without this looming anymore haha

You killed it!!!! Especially after being years out of UG...
I also took it today, and definitely did not do as well as you, although I'm still happy! Hooray that you're/we're done and get to celebrate this weekend without this looming anymore haha

Thanks man! Glad everything went good for you too! I was rooting for you and the other people who posted in that thread about testing today earlier in the week! I'm definitely planning on celebrating tonight!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Crazy scores man! For the QR, what was the ratio of super easy gimme questions:medium: hard you would say? I'm similar to you in that I suck at math haha

Thanks! Hard to say.. there were definitely some super easy questions. I would say 1:2:2. Honestly there wasn't 1 question on my QR that I thought looked harder than the average math destroyer problem. My algebra skills are really bad so that's what limits me in math. There were a lot of questions that really didn't look complicated but I simply couldn't figure out how to do the basic algebra to get the problem set up. What I think got me a 20 was the decision I made on question 32 with 6 minutes left. I knew how to solve the problem, I had done those problems multiple times in math destroyer but I knew that I didn't always solve it right on my first try and the problem itself usually takes me a minute to finish. Instead of getting that point I guessed on it and moved to the next question. Then I got another minute long question, skipped it and went to the next. I did this for another couple of questions and with some luck, my last 5 questions were free points! I flew through them as fast as I could while constantly looking at the time. Clicked the answer to question 40 with 1 second left on the timer. My advice, if you don't think you can solve it on your first go or that it'll take you over 1 minute to solve, choose an answer and mark it and move on. If you have time in the end, start working your way back and try to pound out those longer questions

Congrats! May I ask what it is you do?

Thank you! I'm a cardiac perfusionist. I run a heart/lung machine during heart surgery

Thanks! Hard to say.. there were definitely some super easy questions. I would say 1:2:2. Honestly there wasn't 1 question on my QR that I thought looked harder than the average math destroyer problem. My algebra skills are really bad so that's what limits me in math. There were a lot of questions that really didn't look complicated but I simply couldn't figure out how to do the basic algebra to get the problem set up. What I think got me a 20 was the decision I made on question 32 with 6 minutes left. I knew how to solve the problem, I had done those problems multiple times in math destroyer but I knew that I didn't always solve it right on my first try and the problem itself usually takes me a minute to finish. Instead of getting that point I guessed on it and moved to the next question. Then I got another minute long question, skipped it and went to the next. I did this for another couple of questions and with some luck, my last 5 questions were free points! I flew through them as fast as I could while constantly looking at the time. Clicked the answer to question 40 with 1 second left on the timer. My advice, if you don't think you can solve it on your first go or that it'll take you over 1 minute to solve, choose an answer and mark it and move on. If you have time in the end, start working your way back and try to pound out those longer questions

Thank you! I'm a cardiac perfusionist. I run a heart/lung machine during heart surgery
Thanks! Is the DAT Bootcamp formula sheet all inclusive of every formula you needed to know for your test version?

Great score man! I've also been out of undergrad for a while as well, so I understand the struggles of studying for the DAT lol. You killed it

Thanks! Is the DAT Bootcamp formula sheet all inclusive of every formula you needed to know for your test version?

Yea I believe so... It's hard to say for sure when I think back. What I did was memorize the equations you see in BC formula sheet, destroyer, and Chad's outline. Make flash cards for them and you'll have them down in no time. Make sure to include the other stuff Chad has in those boxes

Great score man! I've also been out of undergrad for a while as well, so I understand the struggles of studying for the DAT lol. You killed it

Appreciate it! Are you currently studying for it? Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for posting this man. Studying is getting hard and dry, but this is exactly the motivation I need right now. Good job, well deserved score :)

No problem! Use breakdowns for motivation. Look for similarities between them (there's a lot) and do/use those things! Show me how it's done and beat me! If you haven't already, watch that video I posted. I cannot even tell you how much it helped me through some low points of studying. I'll be watching it several more times as I grind through 32 credits of science courses this next school year to have a needed 4.0 year. "At the end of pain is success"

Last edited:
@klownzo I took my exam about 2 weeks ago. I'm so happy that it's over. I'm just trying to get my things together and apply asap. Btw, "join the fray," GoT fan? :D

Yea I believe so... It's hard to say for sure when I think back. What I did was memorize the equations you see in BC formula sheet, destroyer, and Chad's outline. Make flash cards for them and you'll have them down in no time. Make sure to include the other stuff Chad has in those boxes
Appreciate it! Are you currently studying for it? Let me know if you have any questions!
No problem! Use breakdowns for motivation. Look for similarities between them (there's a lot) and do/use those things! Show me how it's done and beat me! If you haven't already, watch that video I posted. I cannot even tell you how much it helped me through some low points of studying. I'll be watching it several more times as I grind through 32 credits of science courses this next school year to have a needed 4.0 year. "At the end of pain is success"

upload_2016-7-3_15-14-2.png

@klownzo I took my exam about 2 weeks ago. I'm so happy that it's over. I'm just trying to get my things together and apply asap. Btw, "join the fray," GoT fan? :D

Ahh Congrats man! Good luck with this cycle! I am a GoT fan... What a season! Those episodes every Sunday night were a great way to end a day of studying. 9 more months!

I can't believe I get to make one of these...

Bio: 23 OC: 24 GC: 24 RC: 22 QR: 20 PAT: 21 AA: 23 TS: 24

Background: I'm a non-trad (27 y/o) that has been working in the medical field for the past 2 years. I always wanted to go to dental school but my GPA was bad my first year of undergrad and I thought from that point on that I didn't stand a chance of getting in so I never tried. I finished undergrad in 2011 with a cGPA 2.85 and a sGPA of 2.65 with a bio major and a chem minor. Terrible I know. I actually remember senior year looking into the DAT because I thought maybe I would give it a go, I tried a practice PAT section and bio section without studying at all and did terrible on them (no surprise!). That discouraged me so I had officially gave up. Out of options, I found a job that pays good in the health field and went for it. Even while I was getting my masters (3.5 gpa masters) for my current profession, I felt like the job wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I thought those feelings would change since the income is great and I only work 30 hrs/week! Long story short, 6 months ago I decided that I wanted to make a change while I'm still young and decided to pursue my dream. Since I have never tried in school, I decided to prove to myself that I'm capable of succeeding academically. I set a goal of a 22+ on the DAT. If I could pull a score like that, it'll be full steam ahead...

Time spent studying: I started watching chads 6 months ago but only truly studied hard for 3.5 months. Looking back, those first months were pointless. I would watch some videos, take a few weeks off, and watch more videos and on and on. I finally told myself that if I don't change the way I was studying, I'll be stuck doing what I'm doing for the rest of my life... no thanks!

Resources:
Chads:
10/10! I did not remember a single thing from GC and OC when I started studying. I honestly believe that you do not even need to take GC and OC to do good on the DAT! Chad, a little googling, and determination is enough to teach you the basics of GC and most of OC. His QR videos and quizzes for all sections are great btw!

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language 1+2: 8/10. There were some basic topics that I didn't understand at first because Chad went through it fast assuming that you already have a good base. I decided to work through both books after watching Chad and I finally felt that I had a good understanding of OC. It does get too detailed at times

DAT Destroyer: 11/10!! This is a MUST if you want to score high. I read that statement in so many breakdowns and it's true. It is a struggle at first but after going through the GC/OC sections 4 times each I felt like I had those subjects mastered. I didn't make it through bio (got through 500 questions) but if I had more time I would have gone through it. DO NOT time yourself with these sections, use them to LEARN! I didn't do any math here.

Math Destroyer: 10/10. I am TERRIBLE at math. The first time I went through the first test I only got 7 questions right! You have to grind through the tests, learn from your mistakes, and then do them again! It's the only way to learn!

DAT Bootcamp: 10/10! The practice tests were great! They were challenging but they teach you a lot and get you ready for the real deal. This was the only practice material I used for PAT and it prepared me well! Use the generators every day!

QVault Bio: 8/10. Great practice and provides good info.

Cliffs AP Bio: 8/10. Memorize this before you move onto other resources! Provides a great foundation

Feralis Notes: 10/10! I went through this last and I surprisingly knew most of it. It's a great way to solidify your knowledge and get you ready to nail the bio section

Test:

Bio:
There were questions straight from some of the practice tests. I'm not sure which ones because they blur together. Overall it was fairly easy. There were a couple of questions that I was confused about. They word things differently to make you think but easy to figure out if you prepared well

OC: I'm honestly disappointed I didn't get a 30 here. It was so easy... no idea what I got wrong. Maybe I accidentally marked the answer wrong a few times? I went through it fast to review bio.. Destroyer makes this section a breeze!

GC: Similar to OC but there were a few questions that had me confused even though I thought I had figured them out. Very easy and again, Destroyer.

PAT: Keyholes are easier but TFE was harder than bootcamp. The other sections were on par. The drawings can be kind of bad so that gets annoying

RC: I use the vanilla method. Easier than BC and I'm disappointed I didn't score higher. The questions were straight forward

QR: I never dreamed of scoring a 20! I was hoping I would get around a 17... Just mark questions that you think will take you a while and come back to those after getting the easy points! BC was the most similar to the real deal!

Final thoughts: Anyone can score high on the DAT! DO NOT start studying with the mindset of being content with a 19 AA. Tell yourself you're going to show @FeralisExtremum who's boss! I wanted a 30 on every section and truly believed it was/is possible for me in every section ... other than QR ;). Remember why you're studying and keep your eye on the prize! Anytime I felt like I was struggling with motivation I would think about where I wanted to be in life in 20 years and then I would watch this video http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=6vuetQSwFW8 (highly recommend) . If you're a non-trad student thinking about making the switch, I hope this motivates you to give it a go! Destroy the DAT and take the leap of faith! I actually thought I would score better but I guess I'll take these scores :). Now it's time for me to turn in my resignation at work, take a year of science classes, and join the fray June 17'!

I could not have done this without Chad, @orgoman22 , @Ari Rezaei , @FeralisExtremum , and most importantly, my wonderful fiance who has supported me from the night I mentioned I wanted to chase after dental school!

Proof and practice scores are attached

View attachment 205751 View attachment 205792
:clap:Congratulations! This is well overdue! Wow!!! Not sure how I missed your post. Needless to say you Destroyed the DAT and thanks for the great advice you gave to fayevalentine, it always helps when it comes from someone who has already faced the DAT Beast.

Wishing you the best...

Nancy

:clap:Congratulations! This is well overdue! Wow!!! Not sure how I missed your post. Needless to say you Destroyed the DAT and thanks for the great advice you gave to fayevalentine, it always helps when it comes from someone who has already faced the DAT Beast.

Wishing you the best...

Nancy

Thank you Nancy! Reading the great advice you give people and the amazing material that the Destroyer provides were invaluable to me while I studied! Thank you for helping me get one step closer to achieving my dream :)