Breakfast before DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecoolpharmboi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My test is at 8am, what do you think is best to eat for energy and such?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say drink 1 cup of INDIAN TEA (CHAI)...Boy this shizzzzz keeps anyone up for 8 hours straight guaranteed!!!!!!!!!

eggs/toast for breakfast... slam a redbull and smoke a cig on your break.

make sure you drop the kids off at the pool before hand... don't want any accidents happening durring those magical 3-4 hours or however long it is.

no redbull before hand if your mind is weak and you lack bladder control

Yeah, just be plain safe..
i prefer milk plus energy food.

"Don't find fault, find a remedy." - Henry Ford, 1863-1947, American Industrialist and Founder of Ford Motor Company

Yeah, just be plain safe..
i prefer milk plus energy food.

"Don't find fault, find a remedy." - Henry Ford, 1863-1947, American Industrialist and Founder of Ford Motor Company

thanks for everyone's response, I dont take dairy products well....so no red bull? idk , i usually dont eat anything in the morning. should i break that habit for the test?

Hey don't waste your metabolic energy breaking down proteins and stuff, yo brain needs that shiz... brain=obligate glucose consumer so why would you want to force your body to expend energy in gluconeogenesis to convert it to glucose. Instead carb load the evening before, eat complex carbs with a low glycemic index (turned into glucose slowly) like brown rice or something. This will give you lasting energy the next day as it will be a ready source in your liver as glycogen. As far as that day, eat enough of something so you won't feel hungry and get a cortisol boost in your blood which is bad for memory!! I would recommend again something that is converted into glucose slowly so you don't get an insulin spike and a tired spell later, like oatmeal (not the microwave one w/sugar) preferably irish steel cut oats and wash this down with a green drink you can get in powder form from a health food store/vitamin shop, if it has spirulina it will help you focus. Also I would recommend green tea instead of coffee, but heck I can't even take that advice so if you have to drink the coffee was it down with a cup of green tea afterwards the theanine will help you relax during the test.

thanks for everyone's response, I dont take dairy products well....so no red bull? idk , i usually dont eat anything in the morning. should i break that habit for the test?

In my humble opinion, if you break the habit of not eating anything and have breakfast before your test you might end up paying for it. I too, do not eat breakfast. I too, debated about whether or not I should eat something relatively substantial before my test. Eventually I decided to go about the day like any other day, ie. no breakast and a cup of coffee. I had no problems whatsoever. No hunger, no thirst, no need to "go" as you say, or anything else for that matter.

I even brought a granola bar with me (just in case) that basically ended up sitting untouched in my locker the whole time. If you're like most people you'll be amped up enough as it is before you start your test and throughout. If I were you I'd stick with what I've been doing and not make any changes. Just my 2 cents.

I ate a full toasted bagel with peanut butter, some grape juice and water for breakfast before my test. The thing is, you need to eat something filling that will get you through at least the first half without making you feel sluggish. High fat "power breakfasts" like eggs and bacon have the tendency to make you feel uncomfortably full and even sleepy, especially since you have no choice but to sit for 4-5 hours. Cereal on its own does not provide enough energy to last that long, which is why in commercials they always show cereal surrounded by juice, fruits and other stuff. During the break i ate half a bagel with nothing on it just for the carbs and i drank a bottle of water (i don't respond well to caffeine). The night before i decided to carbo load with pasta and some eggplant parm for the fat to use for energy the next day. It worked for me but you yourself know your own eating habits since you've been eating for atleast 20 years of your life by now, so work with that.

Hey don't waste your metabolic energy breaking down proteins and stuff, yo brain needs that shiz... brain=obligate glucose consumer so why would you want to force your body to expend energy in gluconeogenesis to convert it to glucose. Instead carb load the evening before, eat complex carbs with a low glycemic index (turned into glucose slowly) like brown rice or something. This will give you lasting energy the next day as it will be a ready source in your liver as glycogen. As far as that day, eat enough of something so you won't feel hungry and get a cortisol boost in your blood which is bad for memory!! I would recommend again something that is converted into glucose slowly so you don't get an insulin spike and a tired spell later, like oatmeal (not the microwave one w/sugar) preferably irish steel cut oats and wash this down with a green drink you can get in powder form from a health food store/vitamin shop, if it has spirulina it will help you focus. Also I would recommend green tea instead of coffee, but heck I can't even take that advice so if you have to drink the coffee was it down with a cup of green tea afterwards the theanine will help you relax during the test.

just read this and wow, what a subtle way to show off your knowledge :p

Just be yourself, and don't change a habit already formed for along time.

Man, look at all these lost souls...

OP, eat a full bowl of oatmeal, 2 cups of water, 1 cup of coffee at 6:00 a.m. Dehydrate as much as you can. Eat a banana 30 minutes before the test. You are good to go!