Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written by SN2ed.

Downloadable MCAT Calendar iCAL and XML versions: http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/
(Click the events for more details)

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy AND READ ALL OF THE FIRST FOUR POSTS.

Do NOT start this schedule late. You will burnout. There have already been numerous posts & threads on people starting late, trying to rush through the material, and burning out quickly.
Check the Update log in the last post for any changes.

I noticed that some people are claiming they wrote this guide to scam people out of money. Let me make this clear, I have not and will not be selling anything related to this guide. If you see a poster trying to sell books saying they wrote this schedule, do NOT buy from them. They are attempting to take your money away on false pretenses. Additionally, this guide has only been and should only be posted on SDN. I have not posted this guide anywhere else. Furthermore, SDN is the sole MCAT/medical forum I visit and the only forum where I use the screen name SN2ed. I never imagined this thread would be popular enough to warrant this kind of attention. The contents of this thread (and any other on SDN) cannot be replicated and re-hosted on any other forum, blog, or website without prior consent of both the author and SDN.
Make sure you read ALL of the opening posts, including the FAQ, before posting questions.

To begin with, check out these two threads:

Why Diagnostics are Worthless: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557231

MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602186

Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?

Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer.

Will following this guide guarantee me a +30?

Sadly, there are no guarantees on the MCAT. I certainly hope it helps you, but I can't say whether or not you'll hit your target score.

Should I take the MCAT before finishing my pre-reqs?

There's no point in doing so. You have to take them anyway. Hence, you might as well go into the test with your pre-reqs completed. Yes, this includes the English pre-req.

Any tips for retakers?

Check out the thread I made on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

Remember to check out the third and fourth post FAQ.

Anything else before I start?

CONFIDENCE. Through all of the troubles and hardships you'll face, approach everything with confidence. You must constantly attack this test. The MCAT is merely a stepping stone on your journey.

Also, this is just a guide I made up. It is my opinion on what a study schedule should resemble. I'm sure there will be people that disagree with parts of this schedule or the whole thing. This schedule can easily be adjusted for 4 months instead of 3. I don't suggest starting heavy studying 5 months+ from your test date. Keep it to 3-4 months. If you start too soon, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Remember to use the search function on these forums. Tons of questions have already been asked and answered.
Lastly, please give credit to me, SN2ed, if you post this elsewhere. I put a ton of work into it.

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio
- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio.

You can pick up the BR books from their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Also, check out the For Sale section on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 All of the above, except for the AAMC FLs show up from time to time. I've regularly seen a complete BR set go for under $100 on there. Whenever you buy used, MAKE SURE THE PASSAGES ARE UNMARKED.

To buy the AAMC FLs: http://www.e-mcat.com/

Bare Minimum Set-up:

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$240 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem, Biology (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-MCAT101-Passages-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553)

$30 EK Bio (Amazon product)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, search the For Sale forum on here for copies. They regularly show up. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Total = $541 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Set-up with EK 1001:

$18 EK Physics 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189)

$20 EK O-Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1893858197)

$19 EK Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Chemistry/dp/1893858227)

Total = $598 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Possible Book Replacements:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

A Little Bit more about TPRH books:

If you're looking for the Science or Verbal Workbooks, your best bet is through the For Sale forum on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

You can also find the full TPRH set in the For Sale. People usually sell the whole set together.

If you want the content books, they're available on Amazon.

Yes, these books are the same as the TPRH content review books. The only difference is that these books, unlike the class content review books, contain some practice passages. I believe it's 3-4 passages per chapter. It's not enough to just stick with these books and some FLs, but it's nice to have a few passages thrown in.

About the EK 1001 series:

It is a good idea to get the complete EK 1001 series. I thought they really helped me nail down my understanding of the various topics. Through using the physics especially, I found that I didn't understand some things as well as I would like. Furthermore, for whatever reason, they helped me visualize the problem in my head and made the equations intuitive to use.
Too many people neglect their basic understanding which could be bolstered by EK 1001. They think they have a strong grasp, yet when those fundumentals are tested, one's weaknesses become more apparent. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing.

The only negative for the non-bio and VR practice books is that they aren't in the right format (unless you think of them as tons of discretes).
However, it is significantly easier to spot your content weaknesses with EK 1001 because they aren't passages. You don't have to worry about if you messed up due to a failure to synthesize multiple ideas or the passage was worded strangely. When you mess up on EK 1001, you know it's due to a content weakness. Lastly, this problem would be alleviated by the BR books and EK content books containing practice passages. There are also the practice tests that you will be taking.
I suggest you get the above materials 1-2 months in advance! It takes awhile to get your BR books! You don't want to be missing your materials when you're about to start this schedule. Also, older content review books are usually okay, just don't go too far back (past 5 years old).
Lastly, sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up months in advance.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Notes:

- Do NOT retake old practice material
- Thoroughly review ALL of your practice problems. Review your problems the day AFTER you take them. Don't even look at the answers until then. If there's a break day, review your problems on the day after your break.
- Remember to round like crazy for any math problem
- Always use process of elimination with your answer choices
- Before you begin this schedule, count the number of verbal practice passages (101 from EK + however many in the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook). Divide the number of passages by 70 (total days - the number of break days AND FL days). That number is the number of verbal passages you should be taking per day. I'm hoping that number breaks down to at least 3 passages per day. Ideally, you should take 4-5 verbal passages per assigned day. You do NOT take verbal passages on break days OR FL days.
- If you don't want to get the EK 1001 series, spread out the second 1/3 of BR practice passages over 2 days. Again, I recommend you get the EK 1001 books that are listed.
- If your practice test score is not within your target range after 2-3 tests, you should consider delaying. If you delay, go over your weaknesses again and complete an in-depth analysis of what went wrong.
- If you have enough money, you could adjust the schedule to fit in more practice tests. I didn't include that many to keep the cost down.
- If your test is in the morning and you're not a morning person, start getting used to waking up early when you start taking practice tests.
- Try to practice under as realistic as possible conditions when you take your practice tests. In other words: wake up early enough to be able to drive to your center; eat a meal you would eat before a test; follow the proper timing; and if you're really into it, you could even drive around for about the same time it would take you to get to your test center.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. Why are the wrong answers wrong and the right answer right?
11. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

Hat Trick:

Get a hat and write every single MCAT PS and BS topic onto a piece of paper. Then, when you're ready to practice PS, put all the PS topics into the hat. Draw two or three pieces of paper and connect the topics together. In addition to connecting them, come up with what a passage might look like and what kind of questions you might get. If you can't do this, go back and review each of the three sections. Rinse and repeat.

The hat trick days are important because they aid you in synthesizing the various topics together. On the MCAT, you utilize this skill for every passage because MCAT passages combine topics. Furthermore, you may also discover content weaknesses that you will need to go over.

PS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf
BS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
Page to get topic lists if you don't want to directly download the pdf: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing

Here's a rough example using Distillation, Mendelian Genetics, and Lipids:

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Verbal Help:

Check out Vihsadas's verbal guide and the other guides found in the MCAT Guide sticky
Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6022602&postcount=96
MCAT Guide Sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602154

Arithmetic Tricks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528674&highlight=Arithmetic Tips Tricks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47 users
SN2ed,

I am contemplating taking the BR prep course over the Summer. I'd also like to follow the schedule outlined by you in this thread. Now is this an overkill? I'm a non-trad student so I want to get in as much practice as humanely possible.

Also, if I do end up taking both the BR prep course and following your outline, I assume I will have to change up some of the sources I use by swapping out the BR sources?

Thoughts?

SN2ed,

I am contemplating taking the BR prep course over the Summer. I'd also like to follow the schedule outlined by you in this thread. Now is this an overkill? I'm a non-trad student so I want to get in as much practice as humanely possible.

Also, if I do end up taking both the BR prep course and following your outline, I assume I will have to change up some of the sources I use by swapping out the BR sources?

Thoughts?

If you decide to take the BR class, you should consider that with the course comes about 500 or so more passages besides the books, in the form of class handouts, skill building handouts (on math, graphs, tables, etc...), and summary/review exams near the end of the class. Many of these additional materials are must do passages and questions, so don't overload your schedule too much. This is in addition to the CBTs you'll be doing the last month or two.

SN2ed,

I am currently in a long (6 month) TPR class that started last month (taking the test in April). I know that that's drawn out, but I'm a working non-trad and it was my only option. I did, however, incorporate "review times" into my study schedule to address the issue of forgetting information. What are your thoughts on that?

Also, the only books I have right now are the TPR books. I know you said that the workbook is useful (I've been using it frequently), but there aren't enough passages in it. Would you suggest the BR books for extra passages?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Once again thanks for the amazing write-up!

Have a few quick questions...

1) On average, how many verbal passages are recommended per day
2) I don't see anywhere in the 4 month write up about using the EK 1001 books. It just says EK 1001 + EK bio in-class exam. (Which EK 1001 books are implied, and how many questions are necessary). From what I understand, this guide only calls for 1/3 of the EK 1001 questions to be completed. Again my confusion is in that there are no days in the 4 month variation that call for EK 1001 chem, or EK 1001 Physics... it just says EK 1001...

THanks in advance
P.S Great job!

Suraya:

Both of your questions are answered in the first four posts. Please check them again.

YouNeverKnow22:

There is no set average because everyone's different. For instance, some people will take a few hours just to read through a chapter. The only guidelines in terms of time are the practice passages and the amount of time spent reviewing. Those two factors should be relatively constant.

Suraya:

Both of your questions are answered in the first four posts. Please check them again.

YouNeverKnow22:

There is no set average because everyone's different. For instance, some people will take a few hours just to read through a chapter. The only guidelines in terms of time are the practice passages and the amount of time spent reviewing. Those two factors should be relatively constant.
ok thanks, just making sure. I'll definitely be using your schedule as a skeleton when setting up my own schedule..thanks :thumbup:

Just wondering if anyone has used this schedule during a spring semester. I am thinking about using this schedule while taking 13 credits. Has anyone successfully used this schedule while in school?

Just wondering if anyone has used this schedule during a spring semester. I am thinking about using this schedule while taking 13 credits. Has anyone successfully used this schedule while in school?

13 credits isn't light. That's a full course load. Again the vast majority of students would burnout real fast and suffer in terms of GPA, MCAT score, or both. Pretty much everyone that tried this schedule while in school has posted it's a bad idea. I don't remember anyone posting that it was alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings all. Peace. Well I am excited have finally acquired all of my TPR books and ready to start the schedule today. I was confused about one of the TPR books I bought (as part of the package), it is called the Hyperlearning MCAT Verbal and Reasoning & Writing Review (I also have the workbook to do the actual passages from). I was going to read it before I started the passages because it offers the strategy on how to approach the verbal (this was what the chap I bought it from told me); however, I have not seen this book as part of the study schedule to learn the TPR approach. it seems people simply use the workbook only to do the passages. I wanted to know is this TPR book on how to attack the verbal good and useful, and should it be used as part of the verbal preparation, more specifically before you begin? Thank you :love:

EDIT: typo

TPRH's verbal strategies aren't good, so I strongly suggest you don't read it for its strategies. If you want more input, run a search and you'll see that the majority of posters agree that it's bad.

SN2ed

I just place an order for this book: MCAT Verbal Reasoning Mastery: The Complete Reading Comprehension Program (How to Turn a VR Score 6 into an 11

I plan to obtain the TPRH as well, what do you think? I used the EK and Kaplan in the past.

TPRH's verbal strategies aren't good, so I strongly suggest you don't read it for its strategies. If you want more input, run a search and you'll see that the majority of posters agree that it's bad.

Okay thank you. What should I do? How do I learn to improve my score. I used examcrackers to study for the last MCAT and during practicing and the MCAT my score lowered several points. For your plan it seems you are just supposed to do passages, is that correct?

I noticed on the link that you gave for verbal help Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...2&postcount=96

(to do the verbal) that the person mentioned strategies to use like POE and knowing question types. This is what they also say in TPR verbal and reasoning review book. I feel confused. I wonder where this person got this information, obviously not from TPR. Thank you for pointers...I know I could read Vihsadas's Guide: on what to do, but it seems he got it from a source.

I simply want to know what source to use to teach me stategies to do well on the verbal, or is the strategy just practicing? And if it is, then do you look at why you got the answer wrong, examcrackers states you should not do this.

Anyhow I appreciate any clarification...Thank you!:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
SN2ed

I just place an order for this book: MCAT Verbal Reasoning Mastery: The Complete Reading Comprehension Program (How to Turn a VR Score 6 into an 11

That book is a complete waste of money.

Okay thank you. What should I do? How do I learn to improve my score. I used examcrackers to study for the last MCAT and during practicing and the MCAT my score lowered several points. For your plan it seems you are just supposed to do passages, is that correct?

I noticed on the link that you gave for verbal help Vihsadas’s Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...2&postcount=96

(to do the verbal) that the person mentioned strategies to use like POE and knowing question types. This is what they also say in TPR verbal and reasoning review book. I feel confused. I wonder where this person got this information, obviously not from TPR. Thank you for pointers...I know I could read Vihsadas’s Guide: on what to do, but it seems he got it from a source.

I simply want to know what source to use to teach me stategies to do well on the verbal, or is the strategy just practicing? And if it is, then do you look at why you got the answer wrong, examcrackers states you should not do this.

Anyhow I appreciate any clarification...Thank you!:eek:

Some of the strategies are the same between all sources, but there are differences. There is no single source for any of the verbal strategies I've read. The one that's closest to most verbal strategies is EK's strategy. Even that has some differences, such as, in reviewing your answers. By the way, you should always review ALL of your questions. Both the ones you got right and wrong. Stick with the verbal strategy thread I linked or follow some of the simple tips given in the first four posts. There are also a decent number of verbal help threads found in the MCAT Guide sticky thread.

That book is a complete waste of money.

Some of the strategies are the same between all sources, but there are differences. There is no single source for any of the verbal strategies I've read. The one that's closest to most verbal strategies is EK's strategy. Even that has some differences, such as, in reviewing your answers. By the way, you should always review ALL of your questions. Both the ones you got right and wrong. Stick with the verbal strategy thread I linked or follow some of the simple tips given in the first four posts. There are also a decent number of verbal help threads found in the MCAT Guide sticky thread.

Okay SN2ed I will follow the thread you linked to for verbal. Thank you very much for your kind response, and for being here to offer tremendous support. peace :oops:

Hi SN2ed,

Thank you for this great plan, I have already ordered all the books and everything but the BR books have arrived. I am going to follow your plan but my case is kind of diff than most pre-meds. I have already been selected for as part of a Guaranteed Admissions program for sophomores for EY2012 and as part of my post-selection process, I must take the MCAT and pass with a total score of 26 or higher with no section less than 7. Also I am eligible for 2 more retakes until September of next year. Not to forget that deans at the medical school told me they don't care what score I receive on the writing section (which is awesome, meaning more time to study for the other sections).

I have already signed up for the April 29, 2011 exam (at 1pm) because I am not a morning person and I want your opinion OR anyone's opinion on whether I should do the 3 or 4 month plan? I'm a junior now and I have taken all my pre-reqs (including human phys and biochem) BUT not physics 2 yet which is my only worry. Should I take physics 2 in the spring semester while studying for the mcat? Or will it be too much?

If anyone is willing to help, I would appreciate it! Thanks.

MCVkid12:

A few quick points for anyone that reads this,

Unless you get one of the lowest two scores on the WS, no US medical school cares about your WS score.

Next, the 3 month plan is the preferred route. I only made the 4 month to help out people who were have trouble continuing the 3 month plan.

Now onto your physics 2 question, you should take the MCAT after you finish it. Most of the tough physics concepts and the ones that are frequently tested, are found in physics 2. Without a good base, you'll put yourself in a bad position for PS.

Lastly, don't let the 26 or higher requirement lull you into a false sense of security. Attack the MCAT with the same intensity as if you had to pull a +35.

MCVkid12:

A few quick points for anyone that reads this,

Unless you get one of the lowest two scores on the WS, no US medical school cares about your WS score.

Next, the 3 month plan is the preferred route. I only made the 4 month to help out people who were have trouble continuing the 3 month plan.

Now onto your physics 2 question, you should take the MCAT after you finish it. Most of the tough physics concepts and the ones that are frequently tested, are found in physics 2. Without a good base, you'll put yourself in a bad position for PS.

Lastly, don't let the 26 or higher requirement lull you into a false sense of security. Attack the MCAT with the same intensity as if you had to pull a +35.

Thank you SN2ed.

All my books are finally here, and I have one last question to ask you.

This is from the actual plan: " .work through corresponding EK 1001 sections for the chapters you worked through. For instance, BR O-Chem chapter #1 goes over Organic Structure & Bonding; hence, complete the Molecular Structure in the EK 1001 O-Chem. The topics probably won’t match all the time, but go with the best fit. ."

So when we do the corresponding EK 1001 problems, do you know what problems to do exactly? Did you by chance post up specific problems to do for each corresponding chapter of the BR books? Because I know you did that for the EK bio content and BR passages but I didnt see it for EK 1001 series in your first 4 posts.

If you haven't posted it or dont know, do you know anyone else who has by chance? Because you know your plan more than I do and I dont want to waste time looking for what questions to do and not to do.

Thank you

So at last I have 12 more days until I can start the 3 month MCAT schedule for the March exam.

My class semester during MCAT studying is relatively laid back except for biochemistry. My counselor recommends I take it since she believes it on the exam, but I know it's a very hard course at my university. Is it worth it to take this with this vigorous schedule?

Last edited:
The Day by Day
- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing
.Written by SN2ed.

How many minutes should we aim for the EK 1001 BIO series passages?

Last spring I took the MCAT without preparing as much as I needed to. I am taking it again in May 2011 and am planning to follow the 4 month guide from this thread since I work full time. I took three practice tests last year and made a 12 in verbal on each, then I made an 11 in verbal on the real one. I am considering cutting out all verbal practice from the 4 month guide so that I can study sciences more. My question:

If I include all of this verbal practice in my studies is there a realistic shot of improving a couple of points on verbal? I feel like the difference between an 11, 12, 13 etc. is usually only one or two questions so studying verbal this spring may not be an efficient thing for me to do...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I agree, if you are comfortable with verbal I wouldn't study beyond what is in your full-length practice tests that you do.

I need some guidance in my Mcat preparations. I have not taken it and will be done with Organic Chemistry 2 and General Chemistry 2 in the upcoming spring(2011). I was thinking in addition to taking Cell Biology and Genetics over the summer, I was going to study for the Mcats. Focus only on those three things then register for the last mcat of 2011. As I finish my last semester of school spring 2012 I was going to sign up for the Mcats in May in time to apply for schools in June 1, 2012. I don't know if that sounds like a good idea at all? Between the first time I take it and the second one I am planning on taking courses like Biochemistry 1 and 2 and several Physiology courses since it's my major which I think will better prepare me for the second time I take it. I feel like it would significantly improve me scores.

Or should I just study for mcats this summer and devout nothing but all my time to it. I am just worried that because of this my school load will be a little heavy.

I just need to know what to do? I was also thinking that between winter break and summer I should start studying for the verbal reasoning and for Physics (I just finished physics 2, it's fresh in my mind).

Any advice will help. Thanks

Hi there, I'm new to SDN (well, newly registered, anyway). I've been planning to follow your schedule for some time now, and actually started today. However, I discovered that since the BR Physics books have been heavily updated, it appears that the passages sections are quite different from the way you originally described them--now, there is a 25-question section (3 passages and 4 free-standing questions), and then a 52-question practice exam (7 passages and 4 FSQs). What do you recommend in terms of modifying the suggestion to do 1/3 of the passages? Thanks for your help, you definitely seem to know what you're talking about!

That sounds about right. Just group together all of the passages and do every third passage/question. If you really want to split things up, you could group the passages and FSQs separately. So it'd be something like this:

First 1/3
Passages: 1, 4, 7, 10
FSQs: 1, 4, 7

Second 1/3:
Passages: 2, 5, 8
FSQs: 2, 5, 8

Last 1/3:
Passages: 3, 6, 9
FSQs: 3, 6

SN2ed, thanks again for the great study plan! I just started the 4-month plan today and I have a question concerning verbal.

Do you recommend doing any VR studying beyond the daily passages (i.e-strategies, question types, etc)? I kind of assume since you only have the passages incorporated into the plan, you feel this is sufficient enough preparation. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the VR part of the study guide. Thanks!

SN2ed, thanks again for the great study plan! I just started the 4-month plan today and I have a question concerning verbal.

Do you recommend doing any VR studying beyond the daily passages (i.e-strategies, question types, etc)? I kind of assume since you only have the passages incorporated into the plan, you feel this is sufficient enough preparation. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the VR part of the study guide. Thanks!

I'd look over the verbal strategy thread as well to get a technique down, but there isn't much outside of practice passages and reviewing those passages that's worth your time.

Quick question,

I have used TPR books that I intend to use for study material, and purchase the EK 1001 series, as well as the EK 101 verbal. Would this suffice for practice problems? I read somewhere that the EK aren't in passage format, which makes me nervous that I'm missing out on an important aspect of studying. What can I do about this? I really don't feel like spending $240 on the BR when I already have the information I need for studying, in the TPR books. Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

Thanks for the guide sn2ed. It has been great so far but I have two concerns,

The Br bio is quite difficult. I got an 11 on bio on my last MCAT, and now I am getting 7's on most topics. As a reference I have been getting 10-11 on EK tests. Is this normal for BR bio? It feels strange...

Also, I have EK 101 verbal and I worked through the whole book last time. I don't remember any passages well enough to know the answers, and sometimes I actually do poorly on them. I also have BR verbal. I have been mixing up the two because I doubt I can find a TPR book around. Do you recommend the mix, or just doing BR verbal?

Thanks for your input!

So I have all the material except the TPR. I just started and did the physics chap 1 52 questions, timed. I did horribly. I got like 20 questions right out of 52 and didnt finish on time. I did so well in physics at school and I am surprised by how badly i did on this. Any advice to help improve for the future?

On your schedule, you write a day for review. I'm having trouble with this. Do you mean memorizing for this review day, reviewing incorrect practice problems, passages, etc... also, just saying that I appreciate you.

On your schedule, you write a day for review. I'm having trouble with this. Do you mean memorizing for this review day, reviewing incorrect practice problems, passages, etc... also, just saying that I appreciate you.

Merged your post with the schedule thread. Questions about the schedule belong in the schedule thread.

For review days, you review your previous work according to the guidelines given in the first four posts. For instance, in the 3 month schedule, on Day 65 and 66, it says, "Review FL per guidelines." So you should review the FL you took the day 64. Again, follow the guidelines that are laid out in the first four posts.

In the 4 month schedule, there are days like day 9 that says, "Review EK 1001." Similar to the "Review FL per guidelines," you're supposed to review your EK 1001 work from the day before according to the review guidelines. Lastly, there is day 11 and its analogous days. Here, you review your BR passage practice that you completed the day before according to the guidelines.

"Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?"

You responded:
"Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer."

Ok, so basically, someone with a full-time job will obviously not be adhering to either one of your schedules if a part-time worker can't accomplish it!

In my case, I'm classified as non-traditional. I graduated undergrad in 2006 with a 3.97 GPA. Right now, I'm going for a Master's in Education (single-subject high school science teaching) while also taking Physics at a community college. I'm killing two birds with one stone here, so to speak, because taking Physics would allow me to complete my pre-med reqs and to prepare for the New York State teacher certification exam in Physics. I'm also going to review for the Biology teacher exam as well.

However, as a future high school teacher, how the **** am I supposed to adequately prepare for the MCAT with a 3-month schedule like yours? Do you really think a full-time high school science teacher with summer-school duties has any time for this?

Because of this fact, I may just wind up taking the MCAT on a whim (maybe twice) and seeing how I do. However I do, I do...plain and simple. Even if I do poorly, I will still apply to about 4 medical schools in my home state. Hopefully, the med schools will look at my stellar undergrad GPA, my work as a Pathologist's Assistant for 3 years after graduation (implying my knowledge of medical terminology and interaction with physicians), my extracurricular and private tutoring volunteer activities, and my (soon-to-be) Master's in Education with full-time high school science teaching experience (implying a dedication to SERVICE) as the major factors of admission.

Now IF a poor MCAT score is going to preclude me from gaining acceptance to a medical school, given the above situations, somebody has to be shot. If I'm denied entry solely due to the MCAT, that's really pathetic, I'm sorry.

If I wind up getting in, awesome. If not, I'm going to ask for an appeal on the admissions decision. And if it's still "no," I will probably go completely nuts on them due to their preposterous logic. This would just go to show you that med schools aren't interested in you AS A HUMAN BEING....you're just a standardized number to them. In that case, they're setting an extremely poor example for doctor-patient relationships nationwide. See the analogy I just drew here between doctor-patient and med school-student? :) I think it's perfect, and this is excellent essay material right there. Nobody should feel like they can't apply to med school because of low MCAT scores.

Any thoughts on this? Even with MCAT scores of 6 to 9 on each section, I feel confident that I may get in.

P.S. If this isn't the right thread to discuss this, please re-direct this entire post to the more appropriate thread.

Merged your post with the schedule thread. Questions about the schedule belong in the schedule thread.

For review days, you review your previous work according to the guidelines given in the first four posts. For instance, in the 3 month schedule, on Day 65 and 66, it says, "Review FL per guidelines." So you should review the FL you took the day 64. Again, follow the guidelines that are laid out in the first four posts.

In the 4 month schedule, there are days like day 9 that says, "Review EK 1001." Similar to the "Review FL per guidelines," you're supposed to review your EK 1001 work from the day before according to the review guidelines. Lastly, there is day 11 and its analogous days. Here, you review your BR passage practice that you completed the day before according to the guidelines.
why isnt MCAT pearls inthis thread at all?
I find it useful

Hi SN2ED,

First off thank-you for making this schedule it has been very helpful!

I have used your schedule as a template, except that I have 90 days instead of 96 days to study. I took out the hat-trick, and will do 2/3 BR passages instead of 1/3 and the remaining 1/3 on review days.

I will be using Berkeley Review for Physics, G-Chem & O-Chem, TPR for Bio.
For additional questions I will be using EK 1001 and TPR Science Workbook.

For VR I will do 3 Passages a day, except on review and break days. These are from EK 101, TPR In-class Compendium and TPR Verbal Workbook.

I will also do 9 AAMC Exams (AAMC 3-11).

Each day will consist of approximately, 1 hour Verbal Review, 3 hrs content review followed by 3 hrs questions/passages. I have no other obligations in this time period, so I think this should be doable.

I have attached my schedule in excel format. Could you please take a look at it if you have time. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. For people who wanted corresponding EK Questions with BR Chapters I have included it in here.

Attachments

• MCAT Review Schedule.xlsx
    20.1 KB · Views: 388
I have attached my schedule in excel format. Could you please take a look at it if you have time. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. For people who wanted corresponding EK Questions with BR Chapters I have included it in here.

I think scheduling biceps with chest instead of with back would increase your score 3 points.

Seriously, thank you for sharing the spreadsheet. I'm starting the 120 day version the first week of January.

Hello!
Thanks very much, SN2ed, for the schedule and all of the other tips -- all of the information is incredible and very much appreciated!

I just have a question as to when exactly you suggest taking the MCAT. I know that you suggest to not even begin the 3 month regimen during school, so does that mean that you suggest beginning to study after Spring semester (for me, the beginning of May), study May through July, and then take a test in late July/early August? I am just slightly confused, as I know most people suggest getting one's application in as early as possible, which I thought generally opened up in the beginning of June.

I assume that the MCAT scores might be sent via an update, but how do schools view an applicant that has not submitted MCAT scores, but has submitted everything else (e.g. LORs, PS, transcripts, etc.)? I'm guessing that they do not even really judge the person's application until MCAT scores are received?

I had been planning on taking the MCAT at the end of May 2011, but your advice has given me pause. I was going to study this entire Spring semester, while taking 12 credit hours, beginning research, and working ~10 hours per week. I am taking some 3 classes (6 credit hours) for my education minor, 3 credit hours of molecular biology, and 3 credit hours for my nutrition major, just to give you an idea of my course-load. Knowing this, could you (or anyone) please make any suggestions at all as to my situation?

Also, has anyone taken Inorganic Chemistry (upper level class) and found it useful for the MCAT review? I was considering taking it over summer (while studying for MCAT) or during this Spring semester. I need to take it regardless for my degree.

Thanks very much for any and all help!!

Heh I'm on day 10 and reading about NMR and IR is painful. I wished BR saved this stuff for last like EK. Thanks for the spreadsheet jazz. Hopefully you'll be physically and intellectually fit for this exam.

For the EK1001 series in Bio, i found that some of the passage questions for the first EK lecture 1 material, tested things in later EK bio chapters. Do you think I should go through the entire EK bio book first and then do the EK1001 problems after. Or should I do the problems for a particular section after I'm finished reading the chapter? I don't want to get questions wrong that I know I could have answered right if I read the later chapters...

SN2ed, would it work to use EK1001 Bio instead of the BR Bio for passages?
How about using the EK1001 Bio + Kaplan Bio passages (sectionals & topic tests) instead of BR Bio? It would provide even more Bio passages than does using BR Bio alone (15-20/chapter instead of 12-15/chapter like in BR)

watchntv: Didn't think it was worth the money. If I tried to include every source that had a bit of useful information, the total cost for this schedule would be insane.

CrazzyJazzy: Looks fine.

rf617: The whole 3 month after your junior year would be during the summer from June to August. It's more important to secure a good MCAT before applying. If you're looking to apply during school, it's best to take the MCAT during the summer at the end of your sophomore year with all of the pre-reqs completed.

Yeah, they typically don't look at incomplete applications and wait until everything is in.

I'm really against studying for the MCAT during school. I don't think it's necessary with good planing, as long as you aren't in a needless rush. Remember, medical school isn't going anywhere. For a more in-depth reply, check out the link in the first post for my long explanation.

Advanced inorganic would probably be somewhat helpful, but not nearly helpful enough to justify taking it for the MCAT. I would especially discourage you from taking that course during the summer while studying for the MCAT. It's usually a very intense course in the regular school year, let along in the summer when it's crammed into a short time period.

imperfectluck1: No, for now just keep going according to the schedule. If you used EK 1001 Bio to replace BR Bio, you'll be doing another pass after you finished reading all of the chapters.

ucpremed:
Those two choices would be a decent replacement. Keep in mind that EK 1001 Bio is easier than what you'll see. Currently, BR Bio has the closest passages to the MCAT. That's the reason I included it.

Dear SN2ed,

I meant to post this months ago, but I wanted to express my deep gratitude to you for posting such a comprehensive study schedule and guide to the MCAT. I followed your schedule closely this past summer and scored a 41 (PS 14, VR 15, BS 12) on my August 20th MCAT.

To those of you thinking about studying on your own for the MCAT, DO IT! If you are highly motivated and can stay on track, use SN2ed's study schedule!!! Thank you so much SN2ed!

I am selling my SN2ed Study Materials here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=785051

Good luck everyone!

For those of you who did this plan..How were you doing on your passages? Like what were you getting. So far i have been struggling with them, and am not getting a good score. I'm guessing we hsould get getting a like 6/7 each time, but i am falling short of that. What were you all getting? What do you recommend. Thanks

For your 4 month or 3 month plan, how long per day is each of the things? I got all the books, just wondering how much time I should realisitcally budget

Status
Not open for further replies.