Program-Specific Info / Q's Brenau 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpMeBeAnOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard back from Brenau's weekday Gainesville program this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard back from Brenau's weekday Gainesville program this year?
I was offered an interview for Jan 22nd via email a little before Christmas... I THINK they are only doing one interview day but call to be sure. The email that I received only had the one day offered to me. Best of Luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard anything either. Do we know for sure that they are only offering one interview date?

Received an interview invitation today for Brenau's weekday Gainesville program:claps:

Has anyone interviewed yet for Brenau's weekday Gainesville program for 2016 ? How did it go?

Has anyone interviewed yet for Brenau's weekday Gainesville program for 2016 ? How did it go?
I interviewed on 2/5/16 for the Gainesville day program and it went really well and was really relaxed. Do you have an interview? My understanding is that they still have several other groups of interviews. They said that they had 455 applicants, will (or have already) interview 100 students and accept 32. I don't think we will hear back until April because they are still completing interviews. If anyone has more information about when they will be notifying applicants of acceptance/rejection let me know!

Thanks for the response. I'm glad your interview went well. My interview is scheduled for 1/19/16. If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare and was it helpful?

Anyone still waiting to hear back from Brenau? I submitted my application late November, but my stats and experiences are lining up with others who have received interviews. I'm not sure if they're just going through the applications still or they're passing over me.

Does anyone have insight on a general time frame to know by or should I just e-mail them?

Thanks for the response. I'm glad your interview went well. My interview is scheduled for 1/19/16. If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare and was it helpful?

Sorry I am just now seeing this. I'm assuming you mean your interview is 2/19? not 1/19? I did prepare and I think it was helpful to help me relax and also know somewhat I was going to say. They ask you fairly simple questions such as "why do you want to be an OT", "what do you think the purpose of research is in OT", "when have you dealt with a difficult boss/co-worker and how did you deal with that" etc. Just try to think of some answers to questions like that. They didn't ask anything that really took me off guard. Where are you from? I though Gainesville was an interesting place, not a ton to do there. I still hope I'm accepted! It seems like a great program.
Good luck!

Anyone still waiting to hear back from Brenau? I submitted my application late November, but my stats and experiences are lining up with others who have received interviews. I'm not sure if they're just going through the applications still or they're passing over me.

Does anyone have insight on a general time frame to know by or should I just e-mail them?

It wouldn't hurt to e-mail them! I received my e-mail to go out for an interview for the Gainesville campus on Jan. 18 and my interview was on Feb. 5. They might still be sending out e-mails to notify people of interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I am just now seeing this. I'm assuming you mean your interview is 2/19? not 1/19? I did prepare and I think it was helpful to help me relax and also know somewhat I was going to say. They ask you fairly simple questions such as "why do you want to be an OT", "what do you think the purpose of research is in OT", "when have you dealt with a difficult boss/co-worker and how did you deal with that" etc. Just try to think of some answers to questions like that. They didn't ask anything that really took me off guard. Where are you from? I though Gainesville was an interesting place, not a ton to do there. I still hope I'm accepted! It seems like a great program.
Good luck!
Great to know, thanks!it was a typo, I meant 2/19. I live in Georgia but originally from Ghana in west Africa. In my opinion, Brenau's program is one of the best in the Southeast. You're right, there's not a lot to do in Gainesville but i think the neighboring towns are great :). Where are you from? Are you planning to live on campus or rent an apartment?
I hope you hear great news from Brenau soon
Best of luck!!!

Great to know, thanks!it was a typo, I meant 2/19. I live in Georgia but originally from Ghana in west Africa. In my opinion, Brenau's program is one of the best in the Southeast. You're right, there's not a lot to do in Gainesville but i think the neighboring towns are great :). Where are you from? Are you planning to live on campus or rent an apartment?
Best of luck!!!

Hey! I'm interviewing at Brenau on 2/19 as well. I'm also from west Africa (Nigeria)! We'll definitely run into each other on Friday. Good luck on your interview!

Best of luck!!!

I'm from Colorado! Good luck on your interview! I want to know when we will hear back. I got my first letter of rejection this morning so I just want to get an acceptance letter soon :( Let me know when/if you hear something! Also, that was my impression of Gainesville. Not a lot to do in Gainesville, but I drove to Athens seemed like a cool place and so did Atlanta. Maybe if we are both accepted and end up going, you could show me around! where else did you apply

It wouldn't hurt to e-mail them! I received my e-mail to go out for an interview for the Gainesville campus on Jan. 18 and my interview was on Feb. 5. They might still be sending out e-mails to notify people of interviews.
That's true...I think I'm about to draft them an e-mail.

Also, as far as Gainesville is concerned, there isn't a whole lot to do at all (my parents' live in the neighboring town) but we wouldn't have much free time anyways lol. The downtown square area is cute, but there's definitely some rough patches. I'm currently a student at UGA in Athens and it completely makes up for lack of Gainesville's appeal. Plus it's only a 45 minute drive.

How did your interview go? When was it? Mine was 2/5. do you know when we will be hearing back?

My interview is this Friday. I received an email today though saying they will have to "complete all interview dates prior to making final decisions and those dates are currently running into March for the Fall 2016 cohort." I suppose we won't hear back until April :(

My interview is this Friday. I received an email today though saying they will have to "complete all interview dates prior to making final decisions and those dates are currently running into March for the Fall 2016 cohort." I suppose we won't hear back until April :(

I got that too. At least I still have hope, though it is frustrating waiting this long.

Hey! I'm interviewing at Brenau on 2/19 as well. I'm also from west Africa (Nigeria)! We'll definitely run into each other on Friday. Good luck on your interview!
Hey, that's great! Are you here in Ga or out of state? Hope we end up in he same group. Good luck to you as well

I'm from Colorado! Good luck on your interview! I want to know when we will hear back. I got my first letter of rejection this morning so I just want to get an acceptance letter soon :( Let me know when/if you hear something! Also, that was my impression of Gainesville. Not a lot to do in Gainesville, but I drove to Athens seemed like a cool place and so did Atlanta. Maybe if we are both accepted and end up going, you could show me around! where else did you apply
Thank you! I'll definitely keep you posted. Sorry to hear about the rejection letter, but don't give up hope. I pray we both get accepted to start in August so i can show you around in our spare time!:) From what I hear, the first semester is pretty intense

Correct me if I am wrong but Brenau's tuition for the entire program totals to $87,000+?! That's ridiculously high and doesn't even include housing. Not sure why I'm just know noticing this smh

Correct me if I am wrong but Brenau's tuition for the entire program totals to $87,000+?! That's ridiculously high and doesn't even include housing. Not sure why I'm just know noticing this smh

I attended an open house for the Brenau program a few months ago. I found out during the discussion that the MSOT program is actually a 94 credit hour MASTER'S DEGREE. This is pretty much unheard of, as most MSOT programs require closer to 70 credit hours. When students are charged a large amount by the credit hour, the total tuition can rise quickly. I'm guessing that this program is preparing to transition to a DOT very soon based upon their strong emphasis on research and the high number of credit hours included in the current curriculum.

I attended an open house for the Brenau program a few months ago. I found out during the discussion that the MSOT program is actually a 94 credit hour MASTER'S DEGREE. This is pretty much unheard of, as most MSOT programs require closer to 70 credit hours. When students are charged a large amount by the credit hour, the total tuition can rise quickly. I'm guessing that this program is preparing to transition to a DOT very soon based upon their strong emphasis on research and the high number of credit hours included in the current curriculum.

Yep. Super pricey. Also, you are correct, it is a very long program. 7 semesters with very short breaks is what the students from my interview said. In my interview, the students in the Q&A session did say that housing in Gainesville (not sure about the Norcross area) is very cheap.... at least compared to where I live. They said that an apartment is about $400 per month. Not sure if that's for a single or shared apartment, but still, that is pretty cheap. I also applied to University of Washington, and their tuition is still up there even for a public school. However, my cousin lives in Seattle and apartments are $1,000 + for a single apartment. So, you almost have to figure that cost of living would in some ways even out with the cost of tuition.

I just got my acceptance e-mail! Has anyone else been accepted for the Gainesville day program for Fall 2016? I'm still waiting to hear back from several other schools, but won't hear back until after I have to accept and send in my deposit soI'm not sure if I want to accept.

I was accepted this morning as well! I would like to revisit since my only visit was on the day of "winter storm Jonas" and everything was very dark and rainy. Anyone have suggestions of particular places to check out when I go down? Good luck to everyone else!

I was accepted this morning as well! I would like to revisit since my only visit was on the day of "winter storm Jonas" and everything was very dark and rainy. Anyone have suggestions of particular places to check out when I go down? Good luck to everyone else!

I am from Colorado, so for me, I tried to trek up into the "mountains" when I was there. It was really nice and sunny when I was there, so it was a good day to drive around. The mountains there are more or less hills (at least compared to Colorado), but I would suggest driving around the "mountains" haha. Go look for Lake Lanier as well. I do a lot of stuff outdoors, so I had to find the main out door attractions. Other than that... there isn't much to do in Gainesville as far as I saw. The downtown area is pretty much just one square block with a few resturants, unless I was missing something haha. Are you accepting or waiting to hear back from any where else?

I am from Colorado, so for me, I tried to trek up into the "mountains" when I was there. It was really nice and sunny when I was there, so it was a good day to drive around. The mountains there are more or less hills (at least compared to Colorado), but I would suggest driving around the "mountains" haha. Go look for Lake Lanier as well. I do a lot of stuff outdoors, so I had to find the main out door attractions. Other than that... there isn't much to do in Gainesville as far as I saw. The downtown area is pretty much just one square block with a few resturants, unless I was missing something haha. Are you accepting or waiting to hear back from any where else?

Thanks! I did see the square block and it seemed small but quaint. I currently live in one of the most beautiful towns in NC so my standards are set a little too high. I'll definitely check out all of the outdoor attractions since there isn't much to do in town. Thanks for the suggestions! I am visiting another school that I was accepted at this weekend, and that will help determine if I am going to accept or not. I might pay the deposit just to give myself extra time to go visit again. I don't want to waste $350 but I would HATE to not pay it and realize it was actually the right school for me!

Side note- this is only my second time posting on these forums so I hope I replied to this correctly!

Thanks! I did see the square block and it seemed small but quaint. I currently live in one of the most beautiful towns in NC so my standards are set a little too high. I'll definitely check out all of the outdoor attractions since there isn't much to do in town. Thanks for the suggestions! I am visiting another school that I was accepted at this weekend, and that will help determine if I am going to accept or not. I might pay the deposit just to give myself extra time to go visit again. I don't want to waste $350 but I would HATE to not pay it and realize it was actually the right school for me!

Side note- this is only my second time posting on these forums so I hope I replied to this correctly!

I understand! In my mind... I live in the best area of Colorado, so I don't want to move... not to Georgia at least! but 2 1/2 years in grad school is nothing in the scheme of things. I'm going to send in my $350 deposit also in order to hold my spot in case I don't get in anywhere else. But if I'm being honest, if I get into 3 other schools that I applied to, I will probably call and tell them I need to deny my acceptance (even after sending in the deposit) because I just don't really think Georgia is the place for me. Who knows... we might be class mates!

Awesome for the Gainesville day program? Will you be attending?

Thanks! Yes for the Gainesville day program. Yesterday I got accepted to a program that'll cost me less than $30k for the entire program so I'm leaning towards that. Brenau is way too expensive

Thanks! Yes for the Gainesville day program. Yesterday I got accepted to a program that'll cost me less than $30k for the entire program so I'm leaning towards that. Brenau is way too expensive
I hear you on that! The only school I've heard back from so far is Brenau so I am going to send in my deposit but if I get in somewhere cheaper, I will need to go somewhere else probably.

What school has tuition <$30,000????

Hi!
Accepted to Brenau this morning!!
@Hopeandfaith22 congrats! I have an interview at the end of this week with Brenau. What type of question did they ask you during the interview and for the writing portion?
Congrats again! And advice would be greatly appreciated!

I was accepted to Brenau but will be declining because I was accepted to a different program. If you guys would like some advice on the interview, I'd be happy to give some advice!

Hi!

@Hopeandfaith22 congrats! I have an interview at the end of this week with Brenau. What type of question did they ask you during the interview and for the writing portion?
Congrats again! And advice would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats on your interview! The questions I remember were:

1. Why OT? How'd I know it was something I wanted to do?
2. How do I feel about research. ( it's a researched based program so say something positive)
3. My research experience. ( my experience wasn't at all related to OT but rather psychology. They still loved my answer and found it to be useful in OT)
4. What differenciates OT from other health careers?
5. Shadowing/ Volunter experiences. What experience stood out the most?
6. Why Brenau's OT program?

Writing sample:
You're given some obscure quote and you have to write about what it means and provide examples (be sure to relate your response back to OT). It's 45 min long I believe and you can only use pen. I thought my writing sample was just okayyyyy. I got accepted though so maybe they don't put too much weight on it. Not sure.

Advice: RELAXXXX! Literally things will flow so much smoother if you do. Make sure your interview is like a conversation rather than an interview. Don't reherse your answers to the questions word for word because it won't sound genuine. Hope this helps! Best of luck!!

Hello! I was accepted into the Brenau Gainesville day program around March! I put down a deposit to attend but I am not sure I am going to. Has anyone else heard from them and attending?

I was just accepted off of the waitlist for the MSOT day program! Is there a Facebook group for accepted students? I'm hoping to find a roommate!

I was accepted a month ago! Any word on a FB page?