Bring up all leadership positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moemoekyun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently writing my autobio that my schools prehealth office recommends (optional), and it says to bring up leader positions, rewards, etc from before college. I was president of an anime club in high school, so outside of scheduling events and stuff, it's not something I've brought up applying for scholarships and college. I know for medical school applications I'm not suppose to bring up high school achievements, but the autobio to my understanding is about my entire life, why I am the person I am. I'm not hurting for leadership positions, as I started a peer tutoring program at the school at the same time.
Thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does your anime club leadership explain why you are the person you are? If it connects to something similar you did in college (maybe you started an anime club in college and it was wildly successful and raised money for your peer to peer tutoring program) then yeah I'd include it, but if it's just a peripheral "oh by the way I did this" it's probably not going to help you out very much.

Some schools will use this autobiographical essay as fodder for the committee letter. If you don't want it in your committee letter, don't reveal it to your committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your anime club leadership explain why you are the person you are? If it connects to something similar you did in college (maybe you started an anime club in college and it was wildly successful and raised money for your peer to peer tutoring program) then yeah I'd include it, but if it's just a peripheral "oh by the way I did this" it's probably not going to help you out very much.
More of the peripheral "btw, I did this". It did help with peer tutoring as some kids in the club needed it giving me the idea for volunteer peer tutoring (no money involved, just hours), but it was more coincidental if anything.

Some schools will use this autobiographical essay as fodder for the committee letter. If you don't want it in your committee letter, don't reveal it to your committee.
My school uses letters packet, not committee. From my understanding, it'll be a part of my application that schools will see to get "the whole person" from me. Probably won't be too helpful to reveal compared to other nonleadership events, like getting a scholarship from the hospital.

What happened in high school stays in high school.

I'm currently writing my autobio that my schools prehealth office recommends (optional), and it says to bring up leader positions, rewards, etc from before college. I was president of an anime club in high school, so outside of scheduling events and stuff, it's not something I've brought up applying for scholarships and college. I know for medical school applications I'm not suppose to bring up high school achievements, but the autobio to my understanding is about my entire life, why I am the person I am. I'm not hurting for leadership positions, as I started a peer tutoring program at the school at the same time.
Thoughts? Thanks.