Bringing sketch pad to interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalNucleicAcid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't even applied yet, I will next cycle. But I'm just wondering if it'd be acceptable to bring my sketch pad that has sketches of people (headshots from shoulders up) to potential interviews. I'm just trying to think about how I can give myself a bit of an edge while also showing my "manual dexterity". Although I'm sure there's also plenty of applicants that are artists as well, but who knows. I just keep seeing/hearing about how interviewers love to talk about your hobbies during interviews, so I feel like it could be a talking point.

Members don't see this ad.

I brought a sketchbook to one of my interviews and they loved it. I would definitely bring one if I were in your position (but make sure it's good!).

Reactions: 1 user
I brought photos I took of sculptures I made and the sculpting process. I would definitely bring what you are speaking of. I received compliments during every interview of my work. It shows that you also have other passions. I emphasized on how I took up sculpting to relieve stress (and boy does it ever!).

Members don't see this ad :)
As long it's small enough to disguise as a regular notebook. You don't want to create an awkward situation with the other interviewees, who may feel you are trying to one-up them. Admissions officers sense when a group isn't getting along well, and that could reflect badly on you even if it is due to the other interviewees' immaturity.

I brought a sketchbook to one of my interviews and they loved it. I would definitely bring one if I were in your position (but make sure it's good!).
I brought photos I took of sculptures I made and the sculpting process. I would definitely bring what you are speaking of. I received compliments during every interview of my work. It shows that you also have other passions. I emphasized on how I took up sculpting to relieve stress (and boy does it ever!).
As long it's small enough to disguise as a regular notebook. You don't want to create an awkward situation with the other interviewees, who may feel you are trying to one-up them. Admissions officers sense when a group isn't getting along well, and that could reflect badly on you even if it is due to the other interviewees' immaturity.
Great answers guys, thank you all. I will take all of this into consideration.