Bringing spouses to Ross or SGU...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vlad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to both schools recently and have tons of questions, as might be expected. I appreciate everyone's comments to some questions I already posted.
Here is another one...
Can anyone share their experiences of bringing their spouses to the islands, e.g. possibilities employment (although I know the options for this are limited),
housing, safety considerations etc. My wife has a professional degree-does it matter in terms of work?

Also, did anyone bring a dog with them or know someone who did?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey again, Vlad,

I can tell you as far as Ross goes. Spouses have VERY limited opportunities to work down here in Dominica. It's pretty much either in the bookstore (as a cashier/coffee server) or in the Health Clinic as a receptionist. There are also limited jobs in the day-school.

As far as bringing dogs, you can do it. Some people I know in second semester recently brought down a Weimaraner puppy. There was no quarantine because they brought all of the correct "papers" with them (i.e., most important being rabies vaccine - rabies currently does not exist on the island and they don't, for obvious reasons, want it here).

Safety? Well, that's always a concern. No one should go around by themselves at night off-campus here. Security is EXCELLENT on and around the immediate campus, the farther you go away from campus the more risks you are taking. Also, most spouses often make friends with other spouses and students, though, so you shouldn't worry about them feeling isolated or anything while you're in class or studying. Likewise, the bookstore is one of the "social epicenters" on campus and many spouses seem to enjoy working there and interacting with the students.

Hope that helps! Good luck making your choice.

-Skip
MS2 Ross University
Portsmouth, Dominica

Thanks, Skip.
I'm not at the point of making a choice yet, but I'll keep your advice in mind.