Brooke Army Medical Center Residency - USUHS Army Grads Please Respond!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProudMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be attending USUHS in the fall in the Army branch, and I know that the BAMC is the crown jewel of Army Medicine. I also know that it has an excellent surgery residency program and a Level 1 Trauma Center.

I wonder if it is difficult for Army USUHS grads to do their residency training at BAMC? Is BAMC a highly sought-after location, or do most people prefer to remain in the DC/Walter Reed area? I am considering surgery, but I am also interested in IM, EM, and/or anesthesiology. Does BAMC offer good residency programs in specialties other than surgery?

I really want to live in Texas during residency, and it would be great to land a training position at BAMC. For USUHS grads, I would really appreciate some feedback regarding both the competitiveness of BAMC and the quality of its residency programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, as a colleague of mine puts it, it's the flagpole of Army medicine.

So I am assuming that BAMC residency programs are all very competitive? How do they compare to Walter Reed/DC area Army residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I guess that was too subtle of a joke. Anyway...

No clue. Every residency is different and it's likely to change by the time you're an intern. There's no utility in painting with broad strokes when it comes teaching programs at an MTF. Surgery could suck and medicine could be amazing, or vice versa. It's not like MGH, where you can expect all residencies to be excellent.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be attending USUHS in the fall in the Army branch, and I know that the BAMC is the crown jewel of Army Medicine. I also know that it has an excellent surgery residency program and a Level 1 Trauma Center.

I wonder if it is difficult for Army USUHS grads to do their residency training at BAMC? Is BAMC a highly sought-after location, or do most people prefer to remain in the DC/Walter Reed area? I am considering surgery, but I am also interested in IM, EM, and/or anesthesiology. Does BAMC offer good residency programs in specialties other than surgery?

I really want to live in Texas during residency, and it would be great to land a training position at BAMC. For USUHS grads, I would really appreciate some feedback regarding both the competitiveness of BAMC and the quality of its residency programs.

Thanks!
Just bear in mind how programs can change overnight. The attendings make the program, and attendings come and go, get out, transfer to other facilities, some retire and come back as a civlian (i.e. do less work), etc. etc.

I suppose my advice would be, rotate at as many MTFs as you can and form your own opinions.