Brutal Honesty. Can I make it to MD or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjitfire

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.4 cGPA 3.53 sGPA (4.0 post bacc GPA with 42 semester unit)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 516 (130/126/130/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: South Asian/Indian (ORM)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: UC San Diego
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 250 hours as an ED Volunteer, duties include discharging patients and helping nurses with auxillary tasks. Will start scribing soon as well
  7. Research experience and productivity: Worked 150 hours as Lab Assistant. Was a low entry-level position, so I couldn't get the most out of it. (this is a weak point)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 40 hours Psychiatry, 60 hours PCP
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours at a Soup Kitchen that also helps the homeless population in my area
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Training new volunteers
  11. Relevant honors or awards
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important

Since the 2020-2021 application cycle is coming really close, I have no idea how to improve my application or what my chances are. As things become more competitive, it becomes more difficult to gauge accurate competitiveness. Do I have a chance at low/mid tier MD and high tier DO Schools (CCOM, Des Moines, KCU etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine, your app is great but I would double non clinical volunteering hours

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I'm going to assume that the poster above was being sarcastic...or their school is Harvard level to be able to make such a strong statement that you'd apparently be DOA, cause that's not true of your app for most schools. Being a CA resident hurts a little, but your GPAs aren't so low that they give you no shot by any means. They're probably like the 25th percentile at plenty of schools you'd apply to, and 10th percentile at least at tons of others. And, you 516 MCAT helps a lot.

So to answer your question, you no doubt have a shot at MD and almost assuredly will get into DO schools at the least. My advice would be to get involved in a clinical or service experience over this year that you can thus rack up 200+ hours on. Make it something you are really interested in so you can talk about it a lot in your PS and application/interviews.

I suggest this just because the rest of your ECs come off cookie cutter-ish, so having one really impressive experience kind of melds everything together when you're writing essays and speaking about experiences at interviews. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Mostly because of the pathetic trolling for compliments on the internet.

Image result for you mad bro gif

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Mostly because of the pathetic trolling for compliments on the internet.
I am honestly looking for advice. I am concerned about my future, hence why I'm asking.

I am honestly looking for advice. I am concerned about my future, hence why I'm asking.

Haha he was definitely being a douche about it, but I suppose some people on SDN get a little triggered when they see someone with above averages stats asking if they have “any chance” at med school. Quick google check would’ve told you that your MCAT is 90th+ percentile, so it’s pretty obvious that you thus have a chance at med school. Having a below average GPA though does muddy the water a little bit so I understand asking for help. I can admit being triggered myself though by “WAMC, 528 MCAT, 4.0, should I give up on medicine???” posts as someone with mediocre stats just trying to get by this cycle lol

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah. With the postbacc you've shown that you're a strong student. You should apply to midtier schools, lower-tier MD, and some DO schools for assurance. You're a very strong DO applicant and a middling MD one. For reaches, if you want them, consider Columbia, Sinai, Mayo, BU, Vandy, and UCSF. Also get another couple hundred hours more of nonclinical volunteering. Good luck - and work on the self-esteem and confidence.

Reactions: 2 users
@Mr.Smile12 can I get some feedback. Saw you were doing everyone else’s recently. Wondering if I could jump on the bandwagon? :)

@Mr.Smile12 can I get some feedback. Saw you were doing everyone else’s recently. Wondering if I could jump on the bandwagon? :)
The advice you received is similar to the impressions I get. What other non-clinical activities have you been involved with that show more of your personality and your connection with others who are your peers? Hopefully you havevfained some insight from your work with the food kitchen about struggles that vulnerable populations have.

What feedback have you received after connecting with medical students and admissions staff at the schools you are most interested in? Why are you concerned for your future?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile