BSN to MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wesker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in my first year of a BSN program at Cal State San Bernardino. I've always wanted to be an MD, but financial restraints have kept me from persuing my dream. Does anybody have any tips on how I could could apply to med schools such as UCLA or UCI? I understand that there are certain science requirements needed to apply for medical school, but I was unsure on what classes at CSUSB could cover these requirements and whether or not it is even possible to accomplish something like this. I also want to know if anyone has any personal experience dealing with BSN/medical pre-reqs at the same time. Thanks for reading!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the school's website that you are interested in applying to and start there.

If you are in your first year of your BSN - what made you change your mind? Typically, you can get all of the information you are looking for on the school's websites that you are interested in (as @TriNurse ) said.

Take care! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting into your BSN program!! It's tough to get into.

What made you decide on nursing rather than medicine since BSN is an expensive program too? I know from personal experience, I could not work during nursing school. It was very time consuming (care plans are the worst).

If you really don't want to do nursing, get out now. Spare yourself the headaches since you will be doing a lot in the next two years (assuming there is a junior/senior year and you're not starting as a freshman ~ some schools differ in that regard). Nursing really doesn't take hold until you've been a full-fledged RN/BSN for at least your first three years after passing NCLEX. I know from personal experience. You won't even touch a patient for the first three months without someone watching you after you get your first job. That's on a med-surg floor; ER, that's at least four months. Even then, you will NOT do trauma until you've been a nurse for at least one year and you've proven yourself. CPR in progress, nope, not yours. That'll be at least one year as well. Even then, a good charge will send a stronger nurse in with you to lead it. ICU, sort of the same. Do you see why I say get out now if this is not your destiny.

Just like the above posters state, look up all that info on the school's web site. They post so much there; I miss the old days where visiting a school, talking with someone, research required a book.

I hope I helped you. It's a tough decision; which ever it is, please give it some thought. Medicine and nursing are becoming more symbiotic. Take Care :)

nursing school is hard to get good grades in (straight A's). If your goal is to get into medical school, pick an easier major and focus on the prereqs.

I have to agree that RN doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot until you get more than a few year of strong experience--preferably in acute and/or critical care--or some area that is a bit more clinically and intellectually and accountability challenging, so to speak. I think those RNs/BSNs or ~ that have a better chance of MS entrance--besides the obvious higher priority req's (cGPA, sGPA, high MCAT, etc), are those that found out a matter of years after becoming and working as RNs, that the were/are drawn to something more medically/scientifically hands on--more in terms of medical/scientific application, so to speak. So, they then are willing to go, at this point, through the process of being beaten up to become a physician. And they have witnessed what so many MSs, residents, and fellows have gone through--that, is, to a greater degree than say the average applicant.

Something hits you as you practice in nursing. It's usually during practice in a more intense area that you realize you think a bit differently from your fellow RNs. It's not a superiority thing--it's just how you prioritize things in your head and thinking processes re: the pts. There is nothing wrong with being a RN. Many aspects of being a RN, particularly in certain areas--at least for me--were great and even exhilarating at times. (And the people/family-dealing aspects of care will always be there, for the most part; whether you stay a RN or become a physician.) But something resonates in you to a degree and intensity you had not anticipated--and you may not have initially realized--your focus in somewhat different. It can be a little tough to explain; but you don't know this until you function as a RN, preferably in certain settings.

If you complete the BSN, w/o first practicing for a decent period of time as an RN, and then you jump to med pre-reqs, sure. You could still get in. . .depending on various factors. But there are those that will look suspect at your degree choice--looking at it as some lame attempt at a stepping stone. BSN is not a stepping stone to medicine. No way, no how. It's a different focus. People are entitled to major in what they will; but it may look like you made the commitment to nursing w/o the commensurate dedication to the field.

Of course, that's only one perspective. I am certain others have gotten in to MS with an undergrad in nursing and limited experience. But it's better to get the experience after passing your boards and working for a while. All I am saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user