BU-First Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowbunistef

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone like to start a myspace site for first years? I would like to meet you all and see faces before school starts.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone,

i'll also be joining u guys in bu!!! i'm soooo excited, i can hardly wait. i don't think i'll be doing the apex program, but i don't know when to move to boston...beginning or end of july? when r u guys going there and how long do u think it takes to find an apartment?

thanks for any input! :)

Cold Front said:
do you mean the EXCEL program?

APEX is mandatory, EXCEL is optional (unless the admissiom committee felt you should attend).

ooops, sorry, ya i meant excel :oops:

i need some sleep...damn finals :sleep:

You should be able to find a place in Boston pretty quickly. As for me I am waiting until EXCEL to find a place. You still have some time, but should begin to think abotu where to live~~

I've already found a place in Medford. I'm not doing Excel, but definitely want to chill with people who are doing it. Boston is good for their abundant rental listings...it took me about a month to find a good place, but I'm pretty picky :) Good luck!

skyhawk said:
You should be able to find a place in Boston pretty quickly. As for me I am waiting until EXCEL to find a place. You still have some time, but should begin to think abotu where to live~~

hey guys... i also found an apartment near fenway... did u guys receive your financial aid letter yet? i did already and it seems like i need tons of private loans:(

:scared: All I have received is quote for the total amount...I had to take out a huge loan to pay for tuition/living expenses...the amount of money frightens me!

mid9blu said:
hey guys... i also found an apartment near fenway... did u guys receive your financial aid letter yet? i did already and it seems like i need tons of private loans:(

mid9blu said:
did u guys receive your financial aid letter yet? i did already and it seems like i need tons of private loans:(

You don't have to apply for private loans. Effective from July 1st this year, the new federal plus loans should be able to cover all the costs for you to attend dental school. The financial aid office are still working on the details of this new loan with the government (like interest rates, whether credit check is required, etc).

Contact the financial aid office for more information. :rolleyes:

Cold Front said:
You don't have to apply for private loans. Effective from July 1st this year, the new federal plus loans should be able to cover all the costs for you to attend dental school. The financial aid office are still working on the details of this new loan with the government (like interest rates, whether credit check is required, etc).

Contact the financial aid office for more information. :rolleyes:

I think i need to contact them because the total federal loans on the financial assistance letter do not cover all the cost... thanks for your reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
have you guys received anything about orientation week yet??

teeth22 said:
have you guys received anything about orientation week yet??

nope not yet.. still waiting!!

hummm, still waiting for orientation info....But that aside, does anyone know which ATM branch if any is on the Medical Campus?

I will also be heading up to BU in july for Excel and was wondering if I was still the only person who has yet to receive the info packet? This is getting pretty rediculous being that I got my tuition invoice yesterday! Also, how much are you guys taking out in personal loans and who did you take them out through? I have not even heard how much I am going to get from BU in aid. Is anyone else as confused and frusturated as I am.....Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

infusion said:
I will also be heading up to BU in july for Excel and was wondering if I was still the only person who has yet to receive the info packet? This is getting pretty rediculous being that I got my tuition invoice yesterday! Also, how much are you guys taking out in personal loans and who did you take them out through? I have not even heard how much I am going to get from BU in aid. Is anyone else as confused and frusturated as I am.....Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!
I know how you feel.

The financiad aid office sent me a letter requesting missing documentation to complete the instutional aid process. When I called them sometime last week, I was told everything will be fine if I send in everything they asked for, and the next step will be the disbursement (which is scheduled to begin 08/01). Nothing about PLUS loans or private loans was mentioned.

I really expected lot more than this from the school, but I will wait and see what happens when I go to boston in couple of weeks.

I'm receiving a private loan from MEFA (I"m coming from Canada). What I'm really worried about is that I am moving to Boston in 3 weeks and still haven't received my necessary documentation to go to school, but I need it to cross the border! And the school has been VERY slow with this process. I'm patiently waiting and hopefully everything will be cleared up soon!

infusion said:

I just received my fall tuition bill... it's due by July 14th and no later date than that... :smuggrin:
I hope the office gets our financial aids/loans complete by then.

I checked my financial aid info online today and my government loan amounts are listed there, as well as a loan that I received from BU. Also, I called the school today and they said they are putting together the orientation packets now and should be mailed by next week. I hope!

Thanks for the update sweettooth!

SweetTooth85 said:
I checked my financial aid info online today and my government loan amounts are listed there, as well as a loan that I received from BU. Also, I called the school today and they said they are putting together the orientation packets now and should be mailed by next week. I hope!

kkbouche said:
Thanks for the update sweettooth!
Is there anything else that you have to do for the federal aid money or is it automatically deposited in your student account?

infusion said:
Is there anything else that you have to do for the federal aid money or is it automatically deposited in your student account?

I completed the online entrance counseling (little quiz) and MPN (master promissory note). You need your 06-07 FAFSA PIN to complete these. I'm pretty sure that's all you need to complete to begin the disbursement of the Stafford/Federal Direct Loans that you got approved for. Both links are on BU's financial aid website. (www.bu.edu/finaid/loans) I'm not sure how to check to see if/when your student account gets credited, but I'm assuming it will show up on Student Link. Like someone else already mentioned, I'll be looking into the Federal Grad PLUS loans rather than private loans to cover extra costs.

I'm not doing EXCEL, but I'm still waiting for orientation info. Anyone know when we get the laptops?

EDIT: I just found out that BU does not participate in the Federal PLUS loan program since it participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program. I'll be calling OSFS to make 100% sure that the Grad PLUS loan isn't available for us.

Hey,
I think we get our laptops during orientation week. I haven't received my package yet either, but we should be getting it any day now.
See you in August!
Krissy

Joz said:
I completed the online entrance counseling (little quiz) and MPN (master promissory note). You need your 06-07 FAFSA PIN to complete these. I'm pretty sure that's all you need to complete to begin the disbursement of the Stafford/Federal Direct Loans that you got approved for. Both links are on BU's financial aid website. (www.bu.edu/finaid/loans) I'm not sure how to check to see if/when your student account gets credited, but I'm assuming it will show up on Student Link. Like someone else already mentioned, I'll be looking into the Federal Grad PLUS loans rather than private loans to cover extra costs.

I'm not doing EXCEL, but I'm still waiting for orientation info. Anyone know when we get the laptops?

Cold Front said:
Excel students will get their laptops on mid-July. The rest of the class will probably get theirs in August. :cool:
How exactly do the PLUS loans work? I am looking into taking out my personal loans to pay for school but I am not sure which I am going to use. Any help would be great.

for those who are doing excel and those of us who are just gonna be in boston before orientation to get settled, we should get together and meet each other before orientation weeks starts... its just an idea. tell me what you think.

I think its a great idea. I'm not doing excel but I am moving to Boston at the beginning of July. Hopefully we can get some more people to join us!

galangvu said:
for those who are doing excel and those of us who are just gonna be in boston before orientation to get settled, we should get together and meet each other before orientation weeks starts... its just an idea. tell me what you think.

I'll be there july 19th along with my roommate.

that sounds good... it would be a good idea to meet up... i wont be doing excel so i think i'll be in boston in the week of the 24th...:)

Sounds good..I'll be there for EXCEL...Keep us advised...

We should plan to meet up at a bar or a restaurant the weekend before schools starts...or even a couple of days before school starts. How do we go about letting other people know? Should be post a thread titled "BU 2010 outing" or something like that? Let me know if you guys have any ideas!

mid9blu said:
that sounds good... it would be a good idea to meet up... i wont be doing excel so i think i'll be in boston in the week of the 24th...:)

well, who ever is in boston for excel could scope out a place for us and let the people in excel know whats going down. and keep the rest of us posted.

Sounds good! Who from Excel will take the initiative and also let us non excel people know whats going on? Any volunteers? :)

galangvu said:
well, who ever is in boston for excel could scope out a place for us and let the people in excel know whats going down. and keep the rest of us posted.

I already have moved to Boston from Los Angeles and pretty much the weather sucks! I am doing EXCEL, and had to get out of LA early, so if anyone is already here and would like to meet up or if anyone just wants to chat, email me: [email protected] Hope to meet some people soon!

Gary.

hey guys.....I think meeting up is a great idea....I'm moving on july 17...see you all then....excel ppl keep us posted

2THguy said:
I already have moved to Boston from Los Angeles and pretty much the weather sucks! I am doing EXCEL, and had to get out of LA early, so if anyone is already here and would like to meet up or if anyone just wants to chat, email me: [email protected] Hope to meet some people soon!

Gary.

Oh, man. If you think the weather sucks now, just wait. :D Oh, just wait.

WildcatDMD said:
Oh, man. If you think the weather sucks now, just wait. :D Oh, just wait.

Yeah, no kidding...October-May will be very pleasant :D

My favorite part of the year is November though...its freezing cold, overcast skies, becomes dark by 4 pm, and school is kicking your ass...yeah, not depressing at all. :D

Rezdawg said:
Yeah, no kidding...October-May will be very pleasant :D

My favorite part of the year is November though...its freezing cold, overcast skies, becomes dark by 4 pm, and school is kicking your ass...yeah, not depressing at all. :D

that's music to my ears considering i'm from florida... NOT! :(

At least we have an idea of what we are up against...it won't all be partying and slacking off!

SweetTooth85 said:
that's music to my ears considering i'm from florida... NOT! :(

infusion said:
How exactly do the PLUS loans work? I am looking into taking out my personal loans to pay for school but I am not sure which I am going to use. Any help would be great.

I was working on beginning a Grad PLUS loan application and I found out that since BU participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program that PLUS loans are not available. I'm not 100% sure on this so I'm going to call up OSFS tomorrow to check. I don't understand why BU can't accept loans disbursed through two different federal programs. Why do they care where the money is coming from? I'll see if I can find out some more details.

On a side note, maybe we could pick out a date to meet up on? Maybe the weekend of the 22nd-23rd so more non-EXCELers will be in the area? Let me know what you guys think.

I would be up to getting together that weekend (22nd/23rd July). If anyone wants to meet earlier, let me know since I am moving to Boston in 2 weeks.
Cheers,
Krissy

Joz said:
I was working on beginning a Grad PLUS loan application and I found out that since BU participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program that PLUS loans are not available. I'm not 100% sure on this so I'm going to call up OSFS tomorrow to check. I don't understand why BU can't accept loans disbursed through two different federal programs. Why do they care where the money is coming from? I'll see if I can find out some more details.

On a side note, maybe we could pick out a date to meet up on? Maybe the weekend of the 22nd-23rd so more non-EXCELers will be in the area? Let me know what you guys think.

Joz said:
I was working on beginning a Grad PLUS loan application and I found out that since BU participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program that PLUS loans are not available. I'm not 100% sure on this so I'm going to call up OSFS tomorrow to check.

I called the OSFS earlier today, and the lady I spoke to stated that the federal PLUS loans will not be available to graduate students for disbursement until December this year. So, this means we won't count on it for the 1st semester. :rolleyes:

I would love to hear other options alternative to private loans from the federal government, as I am already very disappointed with OSFS on providing financial aid information to students. We have to call to know information. :confused:

Let us know what they tell you anyways. :thumbup:

Cold Front said:
I called the OSFS earlier today, and the lady I spoke to stated that the federal PLUS loans will not be available to graduate students for disbursement until December this year. So, this means we won't count on it for the 1st semester. :rolleyes:

I would love to hear other options alternative to private loans from the federal government, as I am already very disappointed with OSFS on providing financial aid information to students. We have to call to know information. :confused:

Let us know what they tell you anyways. :thumbup:

Wow, thanks. That is some really good info. I'll call them up tomorrow just to see what they have to say and to see if I can get information on other options for this semester. At least it looks like PLUS loans will be available in the near future.

I am also totally disappointed with OSFS. I'd be furious if I found that out about the PLUS loans after signing a private loan to cover the whole year.

Yeah, it kind of freaks me out that its has been so hap hazard and behind thus far… Is it always going to be this poorly run? Yikes.

Cold Front said:
I would like to see current BU students (DB#1 and Rezdawg hopefully :D) respond to that!

I think it just seems like that since you are all anxious to get on with the process. I remember thinking the same thing. However, you will have everything in your hands when you need it. Just enjoy the little summer you guys have left and things will fall in place accordingly. Oh, and start studying head and neck anatomy for your exam in March.

I spoke with OSFS today and confirmed that Grad PLUS loans will be available for disbursement at BU starting Dec 06. They are advising that any private loans used to cover this semester could potentially be repaid using funds from a future PLUS loan, just remember to pay close attention to the early repayment options.