BU Housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jausep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Just wondering if any of you current/future BU med students have any suggestions regarding housing.

I'm currently looking into Harrison court, but really have no idea if thats my best option or if I should just hunt for an apt somewhere else instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Harrison Court is very expensive. Try looking in the South End for comparable rents (but more space than you would get in Harrison Court). I lived across the street from school (On E. Brookline St.) in a 2 BR place, top floor of a brownstone. We were paying $800 each.

Another option (if you want to go cheaper) is Central Square. Youll get even more space for your money there. The #1 Bus will take you straight to school. It's about a 20-30 minute bus ride (with traffic).

lightnk102 said:
Harrison Court is very expensive. Try looking in the South End for comparable rents (but more space than you would get in Harrison Court). I lived across the street from school (On E. Brookline St.) in a 2 BR place, top floor of a brownstone. We were paying $800 each.

Another option (if you want to go cheaper) is Central Square. Youll get even more space for your money there. The #1 Bus will take you straight to school. It's about a 20-30 minute bus ride (with traffic).

Thanks Lightnk! I'll def. take your advice into consideration. Quick question though, how much time do you think I should reserve for apt hunting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jausep said:
Thanks Lightnk! I'll def. take your advice into consideration. Quick question though, how much time do you think I should reserve for apt hunting?

Depends on how picky you are. I was coming up from New York, so I came up for 3 different weekends looking for housing. The best place to look is through Craig's List. That's where I found my Boston housing. My old roommate is actually moving out of our apartment across the street from school (I left Boston last year and will be attending med school elsewhere). I think the lease starts in July or August though, but you could try to get that particular apartment if you like. PM me if you're interested and I can get you her contact information.

Finding decent housing in the area is a pain. Landlords will definitely try to rip you off. Like charging a huge fee and renting you a closet for $850.
Most people get roomates, now is definitely the time to start looking. South Boston might also be a place to look. Much cheaper. But living as close to campus and the building where you will be spending most of your life is a good idea.

dude rent in boston is EXTREMELY expensive (and that says a lot for me, coming from UCLA's crappy apartments in westwood) and i cant even start looking for a place till late this month or mid july cause im abroad right now for a bs study abroad program. what area are you guys planning on living around? itd be cool if we could all live kinda close to eachother, especially when damn cold boston winters hit and i have to come borrow one of your notes to study cause im not the greatest at staying awake during lecture. (whoever was with me on my interview day, will remember me as the guy who fell asleap during the introduction presentation, the housing presentation, AND the financial aid presentation) I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS IS THE ONE SCHOOL I GOT INTO RIGHT OFF THE BAT. maybe should have fallen asleap at the other schools too and they wouldnt have waitlisted me.

My advice, you don't want to live too near to BUMC. It's not in the best area. You could live very close by in the South End but the rents are extremely pricey. We're talking around $1800-$2500 for a one bedroom. What I've been recommending to everyone moving to Boston to go to BUMC is the Coolidge Corner, Brookline Village area and the area around BU's undergrad campus. Coolidge Corner and Brookline Village are very nice areas just outside the city. In my opinion, they have all the benefits of the city with few of the problems. They are very clean, safe and have lots of unique stores, restuarants and coffeshops as well as a great indie movie theater. Rent here for a studio are around $900 or $1000 and for a one bedroom between $1100 and $1600. There is a shuttle that goes from BU's main campus near Brookline, about a 10-15 minute walk from Coolidge Corner, that will bring you to the Medical School in about 30 minutes. These areas are also about a 45 minute commute via train to BUMC. One thing about BUMC is that there is really no direct way to get to the campus from public transportation, you will inevitably have to transfer, which is what makes the commute so long. The shuttle is really the best option. Check it out at www.bu.edu/thebus. Another option is to live out in Cambridge by Porter Square, Davis Square, Kendall Square, etc. These are not as nice as Brookline, but still decent and entirely liveable. You would commute into BUMC on the 1 bus which runs up and down Mass Ave. Check out boston.craigslist.org for listings.
If you have other questions feel free to pm me.

wow. thank you so so much. im guessing youre from the area and going to bu next year? where are you planning on living if you dont mind me asking? i have a friend that lives in brookline and his apt is extremely nice and i think he pays around 1800 for a big one bedroom with a gorgeous view. so i was thinking about the same kinda area.

DoctorMohandes said:
wow. thank you so so much. im guessing youre from the area and going to bu next year? where are you planning on living if you dont mind me asking? i have a friend that lives in brookline and his apt is extremely nice and i think he pays around 1800 for a big one bedroom with a gorgeous view. so i was thinking about the same kinda area.

Hi,
I am doing post-bac at BU while working on the Medical Campus. I live in Coolidge Corner, in Brookline. I have a little studio and pay 1025. It is small, but in a nice area and very very quiet. Great for studying. The area is mostly filled with young professionals or grad students and families. It's not overrun with undergrads like some of the other Boston neighborhoods like Allston, which I recommend avoiding at all costs. Definitely recommend Brookline. It is a bit more of a commute but overall a nicer area. There is plenty of parking when people come visit you, although, you should know, there is no over night parking on the street (part of what keeps the community nice) so if you have a car you will have to pay for a spot if it's not already included in your rent. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. I love to dish the area.

I live in a suburb which is a 40 minute bus ride (but only a 10 minute drive) from BU med. I did a master's program there and the bus ride was fine because I slept the whole way. 1200 bucks for a two bedroom house with a driveway, basement and backyard. The commute was worth it to me because I was sick of living in the city and the BUMC area is not so nice.

just something to think about if you don;t mind living far from school.

hey guys
im gonna be moving out of my apartment come sept 1st :( , since i got the RA position at the undergrad campus (free room+food+cable+phone+internet+gym = $11k off of my loans)
my current roommate is gonna do a masters in graphic design at BU starting this fall and she's currently looking for a new roommate; she's interviewing a few people that already live in Boston right now, but if any of u want me to give u her email i'd be more than happy
details:
apt in allston, 3 second run/10 second walk to the allston st. B line T stop
it takes me about 30 min total to get to the BUSM campus via the green line + the BU Shuttle
rent is $650 per month, including heat + water
utilities are ~ $80 each (cable+internet+electricity+gas+phone)
its a major huge apartment, with xtremely comfy living room and separate kitchen
i think she has it posted on craigslist; ill try to find the link w/ pics if any of u are interested

melimi said:
hey guys
im gonna be moving out of my apartment come sept 1st :( , since i got the RA position at the undergrad campus (free room+food+cable+phone+internet+gym = $11k off of my loans)
my current roommate is gonna do a masters in graphic design at BU starting this fall and she's currently looking for a new roommate; she's interviewing a few people that already live in Boston right now, but if any of u want me to give u her email i'd be more than happy
details:
apt in allston, 3 second run/10 second walk to the allston st. B line T stop
it takes me about 30 min total to get to the BUSM campus via the green line + the BU Shuttle
rent is $650 per month, including heat + water
utilities are ~ $80 each (cable+internet+electricity+gas+phone)
its a major huge apartment, with xtremely comfy living room and separate kitchen
i think she has it posted on craigslist; ill try to find the link w/ pics if any of u are interested

Hi.....congratulations on getting the RA position....I'm curious as to how you go about applying and what the deadline is.....I could call BU, too, about this, but I figured I'd ask....Thanks in advance!

kc123 said:
Hi.....congratulations on getting the RA position....I'm curious as to how you go about applying and what the deadline is.....I could call BU, too, about this, but I figured I'd ask....Thanks in advance!

u can get the application online at the BU office of housing webpage, but the deadline was January 28th for the first round and May 20th for the second round of applicants
I'll try to find you the website if you're interested in doing it next year

melimi said:
u can get the application online at the BU office of housing webpage, but the deadline was January 28th for the first round and May 20th for the second round of applicants
I'll try to find you the website if you're interested in doing it next year

Sure, if you find it without too much trouble that'd be great....does sound like a great opportunity....I guess it's not such a bad idea, though, to get my feet on the ground first year, and then apply 2nd year....you'll have to let all of us know what your experience it.....sure saves a lot of $$ on loans!

kc123 said:
Sure, if you find it without too much trouble that'd be great....does sound like a great opportunity....I guess it's not such a bad idea, though, to get my feet on the ground first year, and then apply 2nd year....you'll have to let all of us know what your experience it.....sure saves a lot of $$ on loans!

sorry, i cant find the page w/ the actual application pdf on it, but here's the site for the office of residence life, which is in charge of all that crap
http://www.bu.edu/reslife/index.html

melimi said:
sorry, i cant find the page w/ the actual application pdf on it, but here's the site for the office of residence life, which is in charge of all that crap
http://www.bu.edu/reslife/index.html

Thanks! You are so quick to respond!! :) Thanks for the info!

melimi said:
thats because..........i have no life
jejeje

me neither, apparently! thanks for the info!!