BU MAMS 2006: stayin' alive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summermeg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After reading through the posts from the last couple of weeks, I've made up my mind to do my post-bacc at Boston. Yay :) The only downside is I don't have the slightest clue about living in Boston, as I've spent most of my life either in GA or CT. Can anyone offer information on:
1. The best places to live in Boston for the best value?
2. How much in loans you can expect to take out if you participate in BU MAMS?
3. When is the best time to start apartment searching, and how?
4. Any other survival tips or just general good advice about living in Boston?

Also, if anybody is looking to share an apartment with a fellow BU MAMSer... I'm totally in. :)

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I'll answer your questions in the order you asked them. I am a former GMS student.

1. Probably the best place to live is in South End if cost is not a problem for you. South End is right by the campus and walking distance. But the rent can be quite high (700-1000+).
If you want to save money and be close to stores and restaurants, you might also want to consider Allston, Brookline, and Kenmore areas. You can usually find a room for around 500+/-. Students often take the Green B Line and hop onto one of the BU shuttle buses that run from the undergrad campus to the medical campus.
2. For the amount of loans you will have to take out, the tuition is close to $30,000. Living cost and books will be another $20,000. These are rough estimates, but your looking at $50,000+ if you are taking all loans. But also remember to graduate from the program, you must be enrolled for a total of 4 terms. This can include summer terms. It's an expensive program.
3. You can look for apartments pretty much anytime during the year. But, of course, the sooner the better. I found www.craigslist.com very helpful. I believe that BU also has a housing list going where you can contact students that are looking for roommates. If you happen to also visit campus, you can sometimes find postings looking for roommates.
4. Dorchester is also a close area to BUSM, but its pretty ghetto down there. The housing cost is cheap but many students opt not to live down there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.