BU MAMS or GT SMP: Which is a harder program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tommyk7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you people go if you had a choice to go to either and why? Is it true that the BU MAMS program is "easier" than the GT SMP? I've read through many posts and have seen that people in the BU MAMS seem to be generally "less stressed" than the GT SMP'ers, but have just as good a chance of matriculation after completion of the program.

Members don't see this ad.

GT is much more intense because your grades are based on the med school student's curves! and obviously med students are studying like hell.
designed more for those that need a GPA boost and already have decent mcat, and want to go to a low-tier private school.

BU has 2 med school classes only (i think), and the rest upper-division type courses. It allows GPA boosting, rec letters, volunteer clinical, research, etc.
same year application is discourages.
In my own judgement if your GPAs ok, but not highly competitive 3.5+, and you don't have any publications, unique experiences, or such things preventing you from getting in, this programs better for you.

Anyway, I'm not certain of any of this, but wanted to put it out, so my misperceptions can raise better understanding/questions :scared:

ssingh0 said:
GT is much more intense because your grades are based on the med school student's curves! and obviously med students are studying like hell.
designed more for those that need a GPA boost and already have decent mcat, and want to go to a low-tier private school.

BU has 2 med school classes only (i think), and the rest upper-division type courses. It allows GPA boosting, rec letters, volunteer clinical, research, etc.
In my own judgement if your GPAs ok, but not highly competitive 3.5+, and you don't have any publications, unique experiences, or such things preventing you from getting in, this programs better for you.

Anyway, I'm not certain of any of this, but wanted to put it out, so my misperceptions can raise better understanding/questions :scared:

georgetown's program is most certainly not designed specifically so that you can go on to a "low tier private school." 20% of the class goes on to matriculate at georgetown school of med, among other selective schools. also, georgetown has an 85% medical school matriculation rate; BU's is 80%.

Members don't see this ad :)
zahque said:
georgetown's program is most certainly not designed specifically so that you can go on to a "low tier private school." 20% of the class goes on to matriculate at georgetown school of med, among other selective schools. also, georgetown has an 85% medical school matriculation rate; BU's is 80%.

Well I am going to G-town next yr for several reasons over BU but... I think BU's 85% only looks at US allopathic as stated explicitly on their site. I think G-town counts D.O. in their averages....

Georgetown however determines their stats from the people who start classes, many schools instead use only their grads to boost that stat.

The answer is, pick you poison. You will be broke beyond your wildest dreams, and have havent even made it to med school you, no matter where you go.

Sundarban1 said:
The answer is, pick you poison. You will be broke beyond your wildest dreams, and have havent even made it to med school you, no matter where you go.

Cmon Sundarban, these program aren't that expensive ;)

BobLJ99 said:
Cmon Sundarban, these program aren't that expensive ;)

Don't you have physics homework to do? :confused:

ssingh0 said:

to clear this up a bit, the BU program actually gives you the opportunity to take up to 5 courses with med students sitting next to you (or 2 if you prefer not to take classes with med students) along with a variety graduate science courses. there is quite a bit of flexibility in what classes you take. grading is less based on a curve and more on your performance in the class, so theoretically everyone could get good grades. this doesn't happen though. the classes are very challenging.

i went to BU to improve my gpa, and i'm very happy that i did. i can't comment of the degree of stressfulness of BU versus GT, but i can say that BU is definitely stressful. i think the pressure to perform in any smp probably creates quite a bit of stress. i did meet some great people at BU that really helped control the stress. it's nice having other people in the same boat as you working toward the same goal.

utlimately, i don't think anyone has gone through both programs and can accurately say which is better. i do question both BU and GT's published rates of acceptance into medical schools. in the past i am sure these numbers held true, but both schools have recently (last 5 years) been accepting more students and with many other med schools getting in the act of having some sort of special master's program, i think that BU and GT are holding onto stats that just won't apply as well today or in the future. not to discourage anyone though. just know that no program is a sure thing. it really is going to be what you make of it.

if you had the choice between programs, my vote would be to go to the place where you had the most support.

What do you BU people think about the Boston area? I hear that it's a pretty boring area, but that might play out in favor of hardcore studying. :) Anyways, just trying to take in all aspects of both BU and GT so I can make a sound decision...

Im not in the BU program but Boston is a great city. There are 20+ colleges in this city so as you can imagine the night life isnt bad. On top of that, this is the city of the revolution and historical sites are all over the place and the town has some great sports fans and historic teams. To facilitate you going anywhere in Boston, it also has one of the best subway systems in the country (joining New York and Washington as places I am confertable completly relying on public transportation.) You would not be bored if you went to Boston, or for that matter DC; you just wont have that much time to do all you want to do in either program ;).

I'm from NY, lived there for 18 years went to college in Virginia, near DC, and I spent a summer in Boston. Both cities are fantastic, but if I were to choose one city just based on the city and not on the merits of the programs, I would choose Boston. It is BY FAR the number one college city, because there are so many schools all of which are connected via the T, which is (I feel) MUCH MUCH better public transport than DC, and since it is above ground and very user friendly, much nicer than NY. Boston is a city, not as bustling as DC or NY, but a descent enough city none the less and on top of that has wonderful parkish areas everywhere. I say I pick Boston as a better city, though I do not know if it is very condusive as a place to study rigoursly as we all hope to do, that decision is up to you.

BU vs. Gtown.... I agree I think both statistics are DEFINITELY inflated, and I think the big deciding factor for me would be the fact that Gtown pushes to apply in the 1st year BU pushes to apply in the 2nd year. Though their fake statistics might be similar at 85% their one year statistics i'm sure are pretty off (THOUGH, I do not know for sure). Also I think you have to do a library thesis for BU (WACK).
Gtown :thumbup:
BU :thumbdown:
(I just wanted to use the graphics!)

Dooooom said:
I'm from NY, lived there for 18 years went to college in Virginia, near DC, and I spent a summer in Boston. Both cities are fantastic, but if I were to choose one city just based on the city and not on the merits of the programs, I would choose Boston. It is BY FAR the number one college city, because there are so many schools all of which are connected via the T, which is (I feel) MUCH MUCH better public transport than DC, and since it is above ground and very user friendly, much nicer than NY. Boston is a city, not as bustling as DC or NY, but a descent enough city none the less and on top of that has wonderful parkish areas everywhere. I say I pick Boston as a better city, though I do not know if it is very condusive as a place to study rigoursly as we all hope to do, that decision is up to you.

BU vs. Gtown.... I agree I think both statistics are DEFINITELY inflated, and I think the big deciding factor for me would be the fact that Gtown pushes to apply in the 1st year BU pushes to apply in the 2nd year. Though their fake statistics might be similar at 85% their one year statistics i'm sure are pretty off (THOUGH, I do not know for sure). Also I think you have to do a library thesis for BU (WACK).

I have also come to doubt that statistics a little. For 2002 there were 150 people in the program I am assuming yet only 75 people are listed as to having gotten into D.O/MD school on their website?

Thats because only about 50% of the Georgetown students get in their first year, 85% get in within two.

Touchdown said:
Thats because only about 50% of the Georgetown students get in their first year, 85% get in within two.

Yeah but the list is from 2002, I am sure they took everyone into account by now... I am going to the SMP but still second guessing tha actual matriculant averages.

Not necissarly, Im pretty sure that website hasnt been updated much since 2003.

Dooooom said:

Georgetown requires a library research paper too, but it's not a "thesis".

Dang it... I thought I was sure that I wanted to go to GT SMP, but now I'm a little shaken... Although, I don't like the whole thesis thing, and the 2 year vs. 1 year, I like the fact that BU is known to be "less" intense than GT, and is a better ranked med school than GT. Where would you guys go for the best possible chance of going to a decent medical school ASAP?

The paper we have to write is only a 10 pager (I know that one from one of our course directors) and every former SMPer at Georgetown says it is nothing more then a rubber stamp so that the grad school is confertable giving us our M.S.

thanks touchdown! Anyone else have any advice?

I agree with the rubber stamp thingy regarding the thesis.

The only way anyone would be able to say which one is harder is if someone actually attended both programs. Both are difficult programs and both will require a lot of work, but both will help you get in med school if you put in the time. Just pick which one you feel more comfortable with. Personally I think the DC area is much nicer than Boston.