BU MAMS vs. Drexel's IMS ????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowsinmyhead

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am absolutely torn and am running out of time very quickly! Early this year I began research on all the post bacc programs out there and applied to quite a few. It has now come down to Drexel's IMS and BU's MAMS. I am not uninformed and thanks to this AMAZING website I have soaked up TONS of information about both programs. Thank god for SDN and all those who use it! Anyway I have been comparing and contrasting and here's a quick summary of what I've discovered..

Drexel costs about 20 G's wheras BU costs around 30 G's. Philly is also much cheaper than Boston or so it seems. Overall much less money if I attend Drexel.

BU requires a thesis and seems to have many more kids in a two year boat than drexel, which seems to get more kids in after one year, but has a large number of students staying to get their masters in a second year (requiring research). Having a 3.09 and a 28O MCAT (10P10B8V), I am pretty borderline and obviously may only get in after one year with a huge miracle.

BU gives more of a choice as to what courses you will take, whereas drexel has a set cirriculum.

In BU you MAY (depending on the physiology class being taken in fall or spring) be in class w/ med students. In Drexel you will definitely not have classes with med students but as the classes are live broadcasted to a separate lecture hall, you are indeed taking exact med school courses and are competing not with others in the program but against yourself as you must do better than the average for the med school.

In BU, there seems to be tensions between medical students and GMS students, whereas at Drexel the med students are very supportive of the IMS students.

BU does not offer a guaranteed interview, but it's school does seem to reserve a decent number of seats for graduates of it's program (mostly second years, a few genius first years). Drexel guarantees an interview if you maintain a B average, but of course that doesn't mean squat unless u get an acceptance...

BU kids seem to say it's much easier to pull off A's in GMS than do drexel kids about IMS (at least from what I read)

BU seems to have expanded its class size (some say by a lot and some say by an insignificant amount) and more former students have mixed feelings about the success of the program in the future than do Drexel's kids (also, just what I felt was gathered from what I read)

BU begins Sept. 1st wheras Drexel begins Aug. 1st.. That's a big deal considering it is July 2nd now and I will be volunteering on a campground full of diabetics and also attending a wedding for more than 3/4 of this month, leaving me less than a week to move up to Philly if I decide to go there. THATS ABSOLUTELY INSANE!! i will definitely be calling on family for help in securing a residence. Anyone out there at Drexel have any advice regarding Stiles Hall directly across from the Heisenmann's bldg (sp?)..

Drexel's IMS has been around since 1981 and BU not as long (14 years total?). Which one do you think is more highly recognized by medical schools? or is it pretty much the same as long as you rock out the grades?

Being a current Floridian, Boston can be an igloo whereas Philadelphia has more temperate weather.

Aside from these major points, I have read a lot of b!tching about the faculty and about the facilities. I have noticed a trend that frustrated students really complain a lot but down the road they come back to SDN and post how they were wrong and how the programs were indeed very good if you made the most out of them... I am not expecting to be "spoon-fed" and am definitely ready to "suck it up" but at this point i am looking for my best option. Is money a big enough issue? Are the little BS complaints from former students enough to sway me from one program to another? Not really (money is important though- but I still don't want to pass up BU just because of a higher cost- You would think that with all the universities in Boston that maybe BU could offer a better academic environment and possibly have more ties with local universities?) but at this point I am still having a hard time deciding which school to attend. I sent BU my $200 deposit and was very gungho about attending until I visited Drexel and had an impromptu in person interview followed by a very good tour by a current second year student. All in all, I loved the program and the people.. I just found out I was accepted and must send 500 dollars by July 13th. That's pretty close and I am trying to make a very informed decision about which school to attend. Having already seen Drexel inside out (at least a good peek), I'm highly considering flying to Boston and checking out the insides of that school. PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY INSIGHT GIVE ME THE INFO!!! at this point it's a cut throat 50/50 type decision. I may flip a coin!!! Thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

cowsinmyhead said:
Okay so I am absolutely torn and am running out of time very quickly! Early this year I began research on all the post bacc programs out there and applied to quite a few. It has now come down to Drexel's IMS and BU's MAMS. I am not uninformed and thanks to this AMAZING website I have soaked up TONS of information about both programs. Thank god for SDN and all those who use it! Anyway I have been comparing and contrasting and here's a quick summary of what I've discovered..

Drexel costs about 20 G's wheras BU costs around 30 G's. Philly is also much cheaper than Boston or so it seems. Overall much less money if I attend Drexel.

BU requires a thesis and seems to have many more kids in a two year boat than drexel, which seems to get more kids in after one year, but has a large number of students staying to get their masters in a second year (requiring research). Having a 3.09 and a 28O MCAT (10P10B8V), I am pretty borderline and obviously may only get in after one year with a huge miracle.

BU gives more of a choice as to what courses you will take, whereas drexel has a set cirriculum.

In BU you MAY (depending on the physiology class being taken in fall or spring) be in class w/ med students. In Drexel you will definitely not have classes with med students but as the classes are live broadcasted to a separate lecture hall, you are indeed taking exact med school courses and are competing not with others in the program but against yourself as you must do better than the average for the med school.

In BU, there seems to be tensions between medical students and GMS students, whereas at Drexel the med students are very supportive of the IMS students.

BU does not offer a guaranteed interview, but it's school does seem to reserve a decent number of seats for graduates of it's program (mostly second years, a few genius first years). Drexel guarantees an interview if you maintain a B average, but of course that doesn't mean squat unless u get an acceptance...

BU kids seem to say it's much easier to pull off A's in GMS than do drexel kids about IMS (at least from what I read)

BU seems to have expanded its class size (some say by a lot and some say by an insignificant amount) and more former students have mixed feelings about the success of the program in the future than do Drexel's kids (also, just what I felt was gathered from what I read)

BU begins Sept. 1st wheras Drexel begins Aug. 1st.. That's a big deal considering it is July 2nd now and I will be volunteering on a campground full of diabetics and also attending a wedding for more than 3/4 of this month, leaving me less than a week to move up to Philly if I decide to go there. THATS ABSOLUTELY INSANE!! i will definitely be calling on family for help in securing a residence. Anyone out there at Drexel have any advice regarding the student housing building that is directly across teh street from teh Heisenmann's bldg (sp?).. I am not very loud but do like my music loud from time to time, and I smoke (wink wink) and that may cause a problem with government/university officials. I really don't want a dorm but it seems it's my best choice if i attend Drexel.

Drexel's IMS has been around since 1981 and BU not as long (14 years total?). Which one do you think is more highly recognized by medical schools? or is it pretty much the same as long as you rock out the grades?

Being a current Floridian, Boston can be an igloo whereas Philadelphia has more temperate weather.

Aside from these major points, I have read a lot of b!tching about the faculty and about the facilities. I have noticed a trend that frustrated students really complain a lot but down the road they come back to SDN and post how they were wrong and how the programs were indeed very good if you made the most out of them... I am not expecting to be "spoon-fed" and am definitely ready to "suck it up" but at this point i am looking for my best option. Is money a big enough issue? Are the little BS complaints from former students enough to sway me from one program to another? Not really (money is important though- but I still don't want to pass up BU just because of a higher cost- You would think that with all the universities in Boston that maybe BU could offer a better academic environment and possibly have more ties with local universities?) but at this point I am still having a hard time deciding which school to attend. I sent BU my $200 deposit and was very gungho about attending until I visited Drexel and had an impromptu in person interview followed by a very good tour by a current second year student. All in all, I loved the program and the people.. I just found out I was accepted and must send 500 dollars by July 13th. That's pretty close and I am trying to make a very informed decision about which school to attend. Having already seen Drexel inside out (at least a good peek), I'm highly considering flying to Boston and checking out the insides of that school. PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY INSIGHT GIVE ME THE INFO!!! at this point it's a cut throat 50/50 type decision. I may flip a coin!!! Thanks a ton!

If it were me, I would save the money and go to Drexel. There is a significant amount of financial risk involved in undertaking this sort of a program, particularly if you feel your other credentials are marginal. I would want to avoid incuring another 10-20k in debt for something that might not pan out for me if it were at all possible.

I can't comment on the the BU progam, but I certainly had no complaints about Drexel. You don't really interact with medical students to any appreciable extent, but many of the first year instructors seem to try to make the IMS students feel included and acknowledge their importance, particularly in the physiology department (I've been told that the director of the IFM physiology course is the founder of the IMS program). Since physiology seems to be by far and away the best taught of the first year courses at Drexel (as well as one of the most important basic science subjects for the actual practice of medicine), I think that's a pretty good sign.

A good thing to think about would be how the grades are determined. A B average at Drexel may not sound too bad but when you're being compared to the medical students it can be tough to maintain. (An IMS grade of B is the medical school average: last year's averages hovered in the high 80's) Plus, at Drexel, you'll be taught at a distance rather than directly by the instructors. While most of the faculty take the time to make sure the IMS students are on the same page as the med students, not all faculty makes that effort and it can effect your learning and grades. Lastly, even though in this modern age e-mail and live video feeds makes everyone accessible, there is something to be said about having a live person to interact with should you have a question or need clarification.

I went through IMS last year and these are a few things that I picked up through the year. If you do well in the program, it demonstrates that you're capable of succeeding through medical school and admissions committees will see that.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who just finished the first year in BU's GMS program, I thought I would offer some of my thoughts.

You asked the question about which program is more highly recognized by medical schools. When I made my decision to go to BU last year, my understanding was that the post-bac programs are very loosely ranked Georgetown, BU, Drexel, and then Chicago (I forget the name of the school in Chicago). This was based on how easy it is to get into the program and the success of sending students to medical school. Regardless of ranking, if you do well in the program, you are very likely to get into that school and get looked at by other schools.

Although there are variety of different options within the GMS program at BU, most students end up in 1 of 2 separate course tracks. One track takes most of their courses with the 1st year medical students. The other tract ends up taking the same courses, taught by the same faculty, but only takes a couple of courses with 1st year med students. I was in the 2nd tract, and I feel like it is working out well for me. Most of my instructors really seemed to care about my plight and were very available to talk about anything.

I didn't really feel tension between 1st year's at BU and student in my program, but I only had a few classes with them and didn't see them most of the time. I did end up having a few friends that were 1st years though.

We were told by the Dean of Admissions for the medical school on the first day that if we got a 3.5 in the program and got a 30 of the MCAT we would be accepted to BU Med. Getting an A- in a course at BU isn't difficult if you put in the time. I had friends in the program who studied very hard and never could get the A though. Pulling off an A in a course just seemed a lot harder. I was a 3.0 student in college, mostly because I chose to do other things rather than attend lecture and study, but I was able to get above a 3.9 at BU. I was also told by two people who make admission decisions at BU that the 30 on the MCAT isn't set in stone if you do well in the program.

As for cost, Boston is an expensive city. The BU program is definitely going to cost you 40-45 G's once tuition and living are said and done. It was the hardest part of deciding to go to BU, but also one that motivated me to do well in the program.

A lot of people I know are finishing the program in one year. I am done with all the coursework, but have decided to stay on to work on a clinical trial and write a lab thesis. You have two options with the thesis. You can either spend a few weeks writing a big research paper for pass/fail credit (this is called a library thesis), or you can actually undertake a significant lab reasearch project and get an A in 8 research credits. The latter is very difficult to do in a year unless you come into the program having worked in research and have a project that you can continue with. This is why I am staying on at BU for another semester.

I felt that BU's class size was large, but I don't think this had any effect on my learning or performance in the program. I made some great friends this year. It think perhaps the hard work and common purpose made it easier to bond with people.

If you're dedicated to working hard for a year, I'm convinced that you'll probably be happy with either BU or Drexel. One thing you might want to consider is what med school you might want to be at. BU has at least jumped up in the rankings quite a bit this year. Also, look at the school that each program sends students to. Even though both programs have a list of schools, try to find out numbers at each school too. I have heard that GMS students getting into Drexel after their program is much more common than IMS students getting into BU (I only have hearsay on this one though). If this is true, BU might at least give you more options when you're done with the program.

Good luck with the decision!

Vista04 said:
As someone who just finished the first year in BU's GMS program, I thought I would offer some of my thoughts.

You asked the question about which program is more highly recognized by medical schools. When I made my decision to go to BU last year, my understanding was that the post-bac programs are very loosely ranked Georgetown, BU, Drexel, and then Chicago (I forget the name of the school in Chicago). This was based on how easy it is to get into the program and the success of sending students to medical school. Regardless of ranking, if you do well in the program, you are very likely to get into that school and get looked at by other schools.

Although there are variety of different options within the GMS program at BU, most students end up in 1 of 2 separate course tracks. One track takes most of their courses with the 1st year medical students. The other tract ends up taking the same courses, taught by the same faculty, but only takes a couple of courses with 1st year med students. I was in the 2nd tract, and I feel like it is working out well for me. Most of my instructors really seemed to care about my plight and were very available to talk about anything.

I didn't really feel tension between 1st year's at BU and student in my program, but I only had a few classes with them and didn't see them most of the time. I did end up having a few friends that were 1st years though.

We were told by the Dean of Admissions for the medical school on the first day that if we got a 3.5 in the program and got a 30 of the MCAT we would be accepted to BU Med. Getting an A- in a course at BU isn't difficult if you put in the time. I had friends in the program who studied very hard and never could get the A though. Pulling off an A in a course just seemed a lot harder. I was a 3.0 student in college, mostly because I chose to do other things rather than attend lecture and study, but I was able to get above a 3.9 at BU. I was also told by two people who make admission decisions at BU that the 30 on the MCAT isn't set in stone if you do well in the program.

As for cost, Boston is an expensive city. The BU program is definitely going to cost you 40-45 G's once tuition and living are said and done. It was the hardest part of deciding to go to BU, but also one that motivated me to do well in the program.

A lot of people I know are finishing the program in one year. I am done with all the coursework, but have decided to stay on to work on a clinical trial and write a lab thesis. You have two options with the thesis. You can either spend a few weeks writing a big research paper for pass/fail credit (this is called a library thesis), or you can actually undertake a significant lab reasearch project and get an A in 8 research credits. The latter is very difficult to do in a year unless you come into the program having worked in research and have a project that you can continue with. This is why I am staying on at BU for another semester.

I felt that BU's class size was large, but I don't think this had any effect on my learning or performance in the program. I made some great friends this year. It think perhaps the hard work and common purpose made it easier to bond with people.

If you're dedicated to working hard for a year, I'm convinced that you'll probably be happy with either BU or Drexel. One thing you might want to consider is what med school you might want to be at. BU has at least jumped up in the rankings quite a bit this year. Also, look at the school that each program sends students to. Even though both programs have a list of schools, try to find out numbers at each school too. I have heard that GMS students getting into Drexel after their program is much more common than IMS students getting into BU (I only have hearsay on this one though). If this is true, BU might at least give you more options when you're done with the program.

Good luck with the decision!

Thank you guys so much for the help. I actually couldnt make up my mind so i booked a ticket to boston and flew in yesterday. The weather was crappy but the school and the city amazed me. I met with Dr Broitman and he explained a lot of things to me.

First off, it seems that BU is doing better as a medical school than Drexel, depending on how you look at it. BU gets many more residents where they want to be, whereas drexel is concerned largely with training primary care physicians.

Secondly, BU did have a history of problems between GMS and Med students, but that was because the grading was set up so that the class averages included the GMS students, rather than having them separated as in Drexel and having no influence on the curve of the medical class. Because GMS students were so much hungrier for the high grade, med students found themselves having a harder time keeping their grades high and pretty much were pissed off at GMS students. To rectify this problem, the dean of the medical program decided to make the first year medical classes all pass-fail and without ranking. This allows for the students to sit together and now have no real issues with one another. This is only the second year that this new grading system has been implemented for the medical school. Again this is all information i received yesterday. Also, the medical program has a new dean so there are many changes being made. This may be good or bad depending on the dean.

What sucks about this is that again I am having a very hard time deciding where to go to school. I could spend 20 thousand less in a years time by going to drexel, but do i want to give up my possible shot at BU's program? It would be much easier to secure admission to BUs med school by doing their masters program than it would be to attend drexel and apply to BU via AMCAS. It's not that i'm set on BU's medical school, just the idea of having a somewhat real shot at entering such a good program is very tempting.

I tried to find out where BU's graduates ended up after the program and didn't get far. I feel that Drexel will also not give me much information.. I am actually in philadelphia right now and am about to go look at Drexel one more time and hopefully that can help to sway my decision. Oh one more thing- BU's class size is indeed increasing- over 100 new kids accepted this year... i wonder if anyone has insight as to what kind of problems this may cause. I found that the physiology class that seems to decide wether or not you are actually taking classe with med students is decided by lottery, so do I decide to go to BU and possibly get shafted? From what i've heard, taking classes with the med kids is actually better because it's easier to do well in those classes than in a classroom full of strictly GMS and other grad kids, who are not graded pass fail and who are striving even harder to do well. Anyway, if anyone can tell me anything to help me conclude this extremely difficult decision, I will forever be in your debt. I still am considering the coin toss!

cowsinmyhead said:
What sucks about this is that again I am having a very hard time deciding where to go to school. I could spend 20 thousand less in a years time by going to drexel, but do i want to give up my possible shot at BU's program? It would be much easier to secure admission to BUs med school by doing their masters program than it would be to attend drexel and apply to BU via AMCAS. It's not that i'm set on BU's medical school, just the idea of having a somewhat real shot at entering such a good program is very tempting.

I tried to find out where BU's graduates ended up after the program and didn't get far. I feel that Drexel will also not give me much information.. I am actually in philadelphia right now and am about to go look at Drexel one more time and hopefully that can help to sway my decision. Oh one more thing- BU's class size is indeed increasing- over 100 new kids accepted this year... i wonder if anyone has insight as to what kind of problems this may cause. I found that the physiology class that seems to decide wether or not you are actually taking classe with med students is decided by lottery, so do I decide to go to BU and possibly get shafted? From what i've heard, taking classes with the med kids is actually better because it's easier to do well in those classes than in a classroom full of strictly GMS and other grad kids, who are not graded pass fail and who are striving even harder to do well. Anyway, if anyone can tell me anything to help me conclude this extremely difficult decision, I will forever be in your debt. I still am considering the coin toss!

As you might be able to tell from my previous posts, I'm a HUGE fan of the BU program, having just graduated in May. However, not to be a downer, but I just wanted to caution you that you shouldn't get your heart set on getting into BUSM from the GMS program. The program has between 130-160 people, and everyone's just as driven as you are, and most would go to BU over almost any other med school they get into. At MOST, BUSM takes like 30 GMS'ers. That's like a 20% chance from a pool that is already self-selected to be attractive applicants to BU.

Is it easier to get into BU from the GMS program as compared to the entire applicant pool? Absolutely. They get ~10,000 applications for ~100 or so class members arriving through the traditional route (on the order of 1%)

I am totally not trying to be negative. I just wanted to tell you to keep an open mind about where you want to end up. The 3.5/ 30 MCAT and you're in thing that somebody mentioned is not necessarily true. I exceeded both, had decent EC's, didn't blow my interview, and I am waitlisted (though stoked to be starting at my other school!)

At Drexel and RF, it seems like more of a sure shot, i.e., if you maintain X grades and Y MCAT, you're in.

That all being said, would I incur the $45K debt all over again for a chance to go to medical school? In a heartbeat.

Best of luck with your decision and feel free to ask any more questions!

cowsinmyhead - I am also very seriously considering the Drexel IMS program, granted I did not apply to the BU MAMS but I did apply to the Loyola MAMS so it is a similar situation. You said in your previous post that you were going to look around Drexel today, would you mind posting your thoughts about that? You write well and in depth so i would love to hear your thoughts/opinion.

btw- If I am accepted to both the MAMS program and to Drexel I will most definitely take Drexel. Drexel is the only program where you take ALL medical school classes. it may not be the most prestigious, or highly ranked, but no where else offers that. THere is no better way to prove to medical schools that you can handle the course load then to prove it by taking the classes. I have been struggling just like you over the past few weeks but that is what I boiled it down to. Thanks for the input cows... hopefully this helps.

What's Up JPagan. Of course, I would love to share info with you- anything to give back to SDNers all the help I got from em!

So I flew into philly and went to Drexel for a second time, immediately after Boston so I could really compare. First off let me say that if you have not read the other posts about Loyola's program, I think that Drexel would be better if you get in, as Loyola sounds like a much less developed program comparitively.

Anyway about Drexel.. I personally think I have decided to attend Boston, but mainly because I love the big city atmosphere and the cultural and academic environment that Boston offers. Both programs are rediculously great and I know you will be happy wherever you go. Drexel was a great school and the program is awesome. Here are some of my thoughts:

Drexel is located in Center City Philadelphia. The medical campus is actually completely separate and is about five miles away. All of your fellow IMS students will be in this one big lecture hall in the Center City Campus and you will watch all your live broadcasted lectures on a projection screen. Most kids don't seem to mind this although some have their issues. From what I understand, since most of the lectures are available online, some kids don't necessarily always go to class. I don't think it's the best idea but to each his own. The labs are also all on the same floor (fourth floor of a high rise building, which houses the PT, nursing and other medically related programs, and used to be the home of Drexel's actual medical school) The area is not the best, and you must be wearing your student ID at all times or you will be thrown out of the building. There is also security at the main entrance of the building that keeps the local riftraft out.

Anyway the facility itself is nice. IT's not brand new but it's nice enough. Becuase the IMS students are all pretty much on one floor, you wil find that all the program directors and other faculty members are very easy to contact. The class size at Drexel is about 120ish total, which includes returning MSP students (the MCAT prep program) and about 90 new IMS students. I got a chance to check out what medical programs IMS students were accepted to, and if you would like this Info let me know and i'll send u a list.

Some programs advertise that a single grade below a B will drop you from the program. This is not the case at Drexel, but if you do get a B average you will have a guaranteed interview at the medical school. I got a chance to also look at the posted grades for that year. They ranged from A's (nota s many), many B+'s and B's, and even a few D's and F's. I guess that means that at least a decent number of kids really don't do well. I don't know what that says about the program, but i'm sure it's just because the kids slacked off.

Also, I checked out Stiles Hall- There are only like 5 singles so if you have any desire to live in this hall and hopes of living in a single, forget it because they are not available. They currenly have doubles and triple aparements, which suck ass. They are newly renovated and nice, but they cost 850 a month (everything included) and the rooms are TINY. Literally, I did not see how i could fit my full size bed and a desk in teh room- would be difficult if not impossible. If you do move to philly, stay away from the dorm unless claustrophobia is not an issue for you.

Hmm lemme see.. i'm trying to think what else I can recall about Drexel---

One good thing about philadelphia is that it has all the good things about a big city, but it's cheaper to live. A cab ride anywhere in the city is less than 5 bucks.

One final thing- I chose BU because I think a thesis will help my application, and Boston's research environment is far more advanced than Drexel's practically non-existant one. If you do decide to stay for the second year Masters degree, perhaps really look into what you will be doing research in.

Anyway I hope this all helps. If you need any more info let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help.> Good luck with next year!

Hey thanks cowsinmyhead! That was a great post and answered a lot of my questions. At this point I think I am leaning towards Drexel, but I haven't been accepted to either so who knows! lol I am coming straight out of undergrad and have been living in on campus apartments and dorms for four years. So if I was claustrophobic it was gone a couple years ago, ha...

Anyways it all sounds great, you briefly mentioned the area, is it really that bad? I can deal with small space, watching class on TV, but I am not too crazy about not feeling safe walking from class to my apartment. I have been to New york city and felt perfectly safe almost everywhere there... Can you describe why it seemed like not a great area?

Thanks again for your insight and help, I really appreciate seeing as how I can't go visit!

btw- you take any pictures with a digital camera by chance? If you did that would be amazing to be able to see a little bit... just let me know I can always pm you my e-mail address... thanks cows!

Hey man,
No i'm sorry I recently gave my digital camera to a cousin in India because I figured I would get a new one, but unfortunately I have not yet. As far as the area Drexel is in, I hope I didn't make it sound too crappy. If you have lived in New York, Philly seems kinda like a mini-new york and it really is not that bad. You will not feel unsafe in the Center City campus. From what I understand, like ten or fifteen blocks away things get a little crappy, but as far as the school itself, it's campus actually runs into UPenns' campus so primarily it seems to be a lot more kids. I did see homeless people and other underclass types, but that's typical of any big city. Anyway I hope you get accepted to one or the other. Drexel is definitely a great program so take advantage of the oppurtunity if it presents itself. I am about to call and withdraw my application so maybe you will get my seat! Anyway, Pe@ce and :luck: good luck!

cowsinmyhead said:
Hey man,
No i'm sorry I recently gave my digital camera to a cousin in India because I figured I would get a new one, but unfortunately I have not yet. As far as the area Drexel is in, I hope I didn't make it sound too crappy. If you have lived in New York, Philly seems kinda like a mini-new york and it really is not that bad. You will not feel unsafe in the Center City campus. From what I understand, like ten or fifteen blocks away things get a little crappy, but as far as the school itself, it's campus actually runs into UPenns' campus so primarily it seems to be a lot more kids. I did see homeless people and other underclass types, but that's typical of any big city. Anyway I hope you get accepted to one or the other. Drexel is definitely a great program so take advantage of the oppurtunity if it presents itself. I am about to call and withdraw my application so maybe you will get my seat! Anyway, Pe@ce and :luck: good luck!

Thanks for the response Cows, no worries about the camera, just would have been cool... I will definitely take advantage of the program if I am given the opportunity, but right now I am just nervous and waiting to hear something! lol Anyways, thanks for the insight!

So I've been a lurker for a few months but wanted to get fellow SDNers' opinion. I have an MCAT score of 31S (9P, 9B, 13V), cumulative GPA 3.4, science GPA 3.1 from top 20 undergrad school. I applied this past round and didn't get into any of the 3 Texas schools I interviewed at so I decided to spend my next year taking classes and re-taking my MCAT to up the science scores. My heart wasn't in it during the 1st round so I want to spend the next 2 years fixing my app.

I got into BU's MAMS program today and am still waiting to hear back from Drexel IMS. My question is: do you think it makes a difference that both of these programs will only affect the graduate GPA on the AMCAS? My undergrad science GPA will still be low, but do you think adcoms will overlook that if they see a stellar graduate science GPA?

I'm just debating a do-it-yourself program at UT where I take upper-level/graduate science classes vs. a more formal program. I'm definitely leaning toward BU though.

Members don't see this ad :)
ATN19 said:
So I've been a lurker for a few months but wanted to get fellow SDNers' opinion. I have an MCAT score of 31S (9P, 9B, 13V), cumulative GPA 3.4, science GPA 3.1 from top 20 undergrad school. I applied this past round and didn't get into any of the 3 Texas schools I interviewed at so I decided to spend my next year taking classes and re-taking my MCAT to up the science scores. My heart wasn't in it during the 1st round so I want to spend the next 2 years fixing my app.

I got into BU's MAMS program today and am still waiting to hear back from Drexel IMS. My question is: do you think it makes a difference that both of these programs will only affect the graduate GPA on the AMCAS? My undergrad science GPA will still be low, but do you think adcoms will overlook that if they see a stellar graduate science GPA?

I'm just debating a do-it-yourself program at UT where I take upper-level/graduate science classes vs. a more formal program. I'm definitely leaning toward BU though.

imho, bu is REALLY expensive, and your stats aren't that bad, so maybe all you need is another year of upper levels at the local state university? if you ace a year of those on a full-time courseload (or almost full time), it should help you be more competitive. 2 years in boston seems like a lot for your situation.

also something to consider: these special master programs are designed to get you into medical school, period. they aren't necessarily designed for you to get into a tippity top medical school. i've heard of students who go to smp's hoping that the programs will get them into super-competitive schools, and were disappointed to find out that was not the case. they would end up at schools at the same "level" or below places they had interviewed at the previous year.

hope that makes sense. :p

I've decided to delay re-applying until summer 2006 so I definitely have to take 2 years off regardless if I do a DIY informal program or GMS. I already realized the point you made re: caliber of medical schools that students are accepted into after completing the program.

I'm still torn though. I realize my stats aren't too bad. My problem is that while I get preference in the Texas system b/c I'm considered a TX resident, I would really prefer to go to an out-of-state school. Not b/c of rankings or anything, but just b/c I don't want to live in Texas. But I do want to make sure that if I get matched at a TX school, it's one in a big city (Houston or Dallas). Since it'd be a long shot to match at a top 20 medical school, I'm banking on UT-Houston or going out-of-state.

It's such a frustrating process, trying to second-guess what adcoms think. Any other opinions on my situation? The idea of a structured program is more appealing personally to me rather than duking it out in the very large classes at UT. And, I absolutely love Boston and have always wanted to live there. I know if I take classes at UT, it'll improve my chances definitely in the Texas system but how do you think that'll look to out-of-state schools? And on the other hand, if I'm able to do really well at BU and up my MCAT to 35+ range, what do you think my chances are of getting into a decent out-of-state medical schol?

Sorry for taking this thread off-tangent. Can anyone answer my 1st question re: enhancement of undergrad v. graduate science GPA? Thanks!

DBone & AnotherDork - Are you guys applying this summer for 2006 matriculation?

Hello all!
This is my first posting on SDN, though I have read many of the threads before this, and have found it to be a great help in many ways. A little background on me: I have a 29Q MCAT, 2.88 overall gpa and 2.54 science gpa (ouch, i know) from a top undergrad institution. I graduated in 2003 and for the past two years I've been working in a clinical setting and doing volunteer work. I finally decided to apply to post baccalaureate programs for this fall after failing to get into med school for 2004 (no big shock there, i think i was just in denial). I applied to 9 programs, i was rejected from 4: georgetown, drexel, new york medical college and loyola, accepted from 4: roswell park at buffalo, barry univ in florida, umdnj, and boston MAMS (still waiting to hear form rosalind franklin, but I consider boston as a better choice). I was, for the past week, trying to decide between umdnj and boston, much like cows' decision between drexel and boston. My main question was the money. It would cost much less to attend umdnj, but I kept feeling that boston was a better program mainly for the following reasons:

1) the number one most important thing on my list were the number of medical school courses that could be taken. boston allows up to 24 credits or so, whereas umdnj was only allowing around 7 first semester, and possibly a second semester course - something they seemed to dance around when I tried to get an answer on it.
2) my personal opinion is that BU is a more prestigious university than umdnj, and the idea of being affiliated with one of the best med schools in the nation was definitely appealing
3) boston v. newark - need i say more?

Both programs had opportunities to do a research thesis.

I made my decision this morning to attend BU upon discovering that umdnj only has limited enrollment in their med school courses (specifically the MGM course for those hoping to attend med school) and had failed to inform me that I was not one of the chosen students. When I expressed my disappointment at missing out on the chance to take this MS1 class and having to replace it with a grad course, I was told that the program "is afterall a grad program, and not a med school program, so how could I not expect to take grad courses?" Needless to say, since med school is my goal, I decided right then and there that BU was the choice for me and worth the extra money - I'll just add it on to the 200K+ I'll owe after med school!

Anyways, I just wanted to say that I was in a similar position that came down to deciding based on money and whether it was worth it. In the end, I decided it was. Good luck to you cows, and all of you, and I hope to see you in the fall!

can anyone comment on the difficulty of the 2 programs? i know that in each program, you need to work your butt off to do well but is one slightly more difficult to do well in than other? dont' get me wrong, i'm not looking to be a slacker the next year (far from) but i'm trying to decide which program to attend and would like to go to the school that would allow me the best chance to do well. I"m a borderline applicant so that's something to consider.

also, about how many of the medical school courses at BU do MAMS students take? i hear there are 2 tracks, where 1 track takes more medical school courses than the other. how does that work? I would like the program that would allow me to take more medschool courses. what's a better way to prove yourself?

thanks!!!!

i'm wondering about this too, gh...

I got a PM request for a list of schools that Drexel's IMSers have been accepted into so I decided to post it to the main thread so everyone can see this. The info I am posting comes directly from literature that I picked up while visiting Drexel University:

"For more than 20 years, 60 to 85 percent of the students who received a B or higher in all courses were accepted into U.S. medical schools after the first year of completion. The overall two-year acceptance rate for each class of students who received a B or higher in all courses ranges from 80 to 95 percent. More than 1200 students have been accepted to more than 85 different schools throughout the history of our programs. [BU has placed students in something like 126 of the schools- just a side note] Over the years, our students have been accepted to the following medical schools:

U.S. ALLOPATHIC MEDICAL SCHOOLS
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Drexel University COM
East Carolina University SOM
East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen COM
Eastern Virginia Medical School of the Medical College of Hampton Roads
Finch University of Health Sciences/ The Chicago Medical School
Florida State University Program in Medical Sciences
Georgetown University SOM
George Washington University SOM and Health Sciences
Hahnemann University COM
Howard University COM
Indiana University SOM
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Loma Linda University SOM
Loyola University Chicago Stritch SOM
MCP Hahnemann University COM
Medical College of Ohio
Medical College of Pennsylvania
Medical College of Wisconsin
Meharry Medical College SOM
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Mount Sinai SOM of the City University of NY
NY Medical College
Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health
Oregon Health Science University SOM
Oral Roberts University SOM
Pennsylvania State University COM
Rush Medical College of Rush University
Saint Louis University SOM
State University of NY- Brooklyn
State University of NY- Buffalo
State University of NY- Stony Brook
State University of NY- Syracuse
Temple University SOM
Texas A&M University Health Science Center COM
Texas Tech University Health Science Center SOM
Tufts University SOM
Tulane University SOM
UMDNJ- New Jersey Medical School
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences F. Edward Hebert SOM
University of Arizona COM
University of California Davis SOM
University of California San Fransico SOM
University of Chicago Pritzker SOM
University of Cincinnati COM
University of Colorado SOM
University of Connecticut SOM
University of Illinois at Chicago COM
Univ. of Iowa COM
Univ. of Kansas SOM
Univ. of Maryland SOM
Univ. of Massachusetts Medical School
Univ. of Miami SOM
Univ. of Missouri - Columbia SOM
Univ. of NC at Chapel Hill COM
Univ. of Pennsylvania SOM
Univ. of Pittsburgh SOM
Univ. of SC SOM
Univ. of Southern California SOM
Univ. of Tenn. Memphis COM
Univ. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Southwestern Medical School
Univ. of Utah SOM
Univ. of Vermont COM
Univ. of Washington SOM
Univ. of Washington SOM
Univ. of Wisconsin Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University SOM
Wake Forest University SOM
Wayne State University SOM
Wright State University SOM

OSTEOPATHIC MEDICAL SCHOOLS

Arizona College of Osteo Medicine
Chicago College of Osteo Medicine
Kirksville CoOM
Lake Erie CoOM
Michigan State Univ. CoOM
NY CoOM
Nova Southeastern Univ. CoOM
Ohio Univ. CoOM
Philadelphia CoOM
Texas CoOM
Touro Univ. CoOM
UMDNJ- School of Osteo Medicine
Univ. of New England CoOM
Western University of the Health Sciences CoOM of the Pacific

OTHER PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS

Illinois College of Optometry
MCP Hahnemann University Biomedical Graduate Studies
MCP Hahnemann Univ. MD/M.P.H. Program
MCP Hahnemann University M.D/Ph.D Program
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Graduate School
St. George's University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Dentistry
Tufts Univ. School of Dental Medicine
Tufts Univ. School of Medicine M.D./MBA Program
Tulane Univ. MD/MPH Program
Univ. of Miami Graduate School
Univ. of Penn School of Veterinary Medicine
West Virginia Univ. School of Dentistry
Yale University Graduate School

Wow that took a really long time to type out. If i made any spelling errors... I'm not sorry :D I hope this info helps!

wow! thanks for posting that-- definitely appreciate it :)

Hey...I just got accepted to the Boston Program...deciding whether to attend Barry or Boston...what should I do?

dentallover15 said:
Hey...I just got accepted to the Boston Program...deciding whether to attend Barry or Boston...what should I do?

It's hard to say if you're dental. I have some friends who are going to Barry Univ. and they are also pre-dent. Personally, Barry was the absolute last choice for me and Boston was pretty high up there so I would say Boston 100%. I visited Barry and was not impressed by the school or the administration. The director of the program was all talk, bragging about all the connections he has, but when I asked to be toured through their facilities he just kept saying "i have nothing to hide go look for yourself go talk to kids blahblahblah" but he didn't lead me to a single room that was used to teach in, and there happened to be one or two kids from the Option 2 program and they were not doing well in their classes, two had competely abandoned the idea of medical or dental school, and one seemed to be working his butt of but no idea of where he was going to. Again, my opinion is biased so it's really hard to say. I can tell you 1 thing, whatever you're going to do you better make up your mind quick. I'm moving to Boston from Florida and finding a place to live was a lot tougher than I had expected. Also, Boston is expensive as **** so, considering the fact that I have no idea what you academics are like, the only advice I can give you is that if you choose Boston you better think it's worth it because you'll probably be spending more than if you live in Florida. Anyway good luck... these kind of decisions can be tough! Trust me I started this thread cuz I was so confused on what to do! Hope you figure it out