BU, NY Med Coll and Einstein Cali friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akanene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i sent my advisor my list of schools that I had picked out and he recommended I not go for these 3 because he doesnt think they are cali friendly (im a cali resident)... ive heard otherwise, anyone have any knowledge to pass along??

Members don't see this ad.

akanene said:
So i sent my advisor my list of schools that I had picked out and he recommended I not go for these 3 because he doesnt think they are cali friendly (im a cali resident)... ive heard otherwise, anyone have any knowledge to pass along??

They are Cali friendly, your advisor doesn't know his/her sh|t

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC is very cali friendly, my friend is an ms1 an dhe said over 30% of students r from cali. He said they call it UC-NY hehe

xadmin said:
They are Cali friendly, your advisor doesn't know his/her sh|t

Approximately 900 Cali applicants matriculate out-of-state-ly at the pool of 118 allo schools every year. Your advisor has a very little chance for a lucky guess. How about U of Washington, Arizona, Kansas, Southern Illinois, Wright State, Northeastern Ohio and probably few Texas schools, they are not Cali friendly.

akanene said:

I got into BU and I'm from Cali (with a 29 MCAT).

Those schools are all CA friendly.

Having interviewed and talked to students from all of those schools, all of those schools are Cali friendly. I don't think you should be worrying about whether any med school is cali friendly or not. Rather, chose the schools you apply to on a broader set of criteria: geographical location, type of teaching hospitals or clinical experience they offer, cost of attendance, cost of living in the surrounding area, etc. I know Einstein for sure has a LOT of cali people, but I think NYMC tops both BU and Einstein for having the highest percentage of cali people. They're all great schools, depending on what type of clinicals you are looking for and what type learning style fits you. (The learning style for NYMC is not the same as BU or Einstein.) Good luck!

Oh lord, do not listen to your advisor! If you want to know the numbers you could check each school's acceptance stats, but I know for a fact NYMC and BU are CA friendly seeing as how I'm from CA and was interviewed at both. To give you an idea, NYMC is known as UC-Valhalla, and I was accepted to BU. You best turn to good ol' SDN for a list of schools to apply to as a CA resident.

Yea, that's pretty ridiculous that your advisor told you not to apply to those schools. I am from CA and have interviewed at all three. I have friends who attend all three from CA and the students I met all tell me that there are a lot of CA students at those places, especially NYMC and Einstein. Go ahead and apply. I might be actually heading to Einstein myself.

Yep, your advisor doesn't know what's up! I am a Cali resident, interviewed and accepted at those three. So you should definitely apply to them! Other Cali friendly schools you may want to consider - Rosalind Franklin, U Vermont, Ohio State...I'm sure there are more too! Good luck! :)

akanene said:
I think ur advisor meant the opposite.